Noobish question about rules

By Spatnak, in Fortress America

I read the rules two times. However I'm still a little bit confused. Here is a list of my questions. I hope someone can help me, despite my poor english smile.gif .

1) Invaders don't recieve reinforcement in the first turn, but USA do.

2) Rules for combine arms hit is applied on every army attacking a mountain or city territory. So it is applied even on USA player (if he is the attacker of course).

3) There is only one round of battle? I mean defender shoot first, then surviving attacker's units. What happed if any defending units survive? Is there another round of battle? Or defender was successfull and attacker dont't invades that territory?

4) I'm not alloved to move into enemy invasion zone. But I can attack it. Right? I only skip the invasion action.
And can bombers use their bombers ability and retreat after?

5) I'm confused about victory conditions.
If there are 18 city miniatures on the captured city track, invaders win the game.
If there are 17 or less cities miniatures, game continue into USA turn. At end of his turn the turn marker will advance one space and if it will reach "USA victory", the USA player wins the game.

All is clear until now. But there is another section bellow - Invader victory:
"The Invaders collectively win if 18 or more city miniatures are on the captured city track AT THE END OF THE U.S. Player's turn or if the U.S. Player concedes."

By the first section it looks like if there are 18 city miniatures out of the board, the game ends and invaders immeditely win.
By the second question it looks like USA player has one last chance (his last round) to recapture one or more cities and if he succed, the game continues.

Helicopters question

6) If a helicopter use it's scouting ability and land in an unoccupied territory, it will capture it. Right?
Subquestion: why should I conquest terriory next but one instead of adjanced? In supply check action I will find that there is no supply line and my helicopters will be destroyed. So it is usefull for USA player only?

7) Scouting ability is used for conquering unoccupied terriory, while maneuvers movement 2 serves for attacking occupied terrioty (next but one instead of adjanced)?

8)Why helicopters have invasion movement 2? There is no reason to move them after battle. Logically I move them (prepare) into an adjanced territory to declared terriotry to use them in the battle. Move them after the battle is useless.

9) Rules page 20, general invasion rules, section "can move", last point - Into an occupied or unoccupied enemy territory if they are "flying over" it with a helicopter or a bomber.
a) Invasion takes place after a battle, so how can I fly there with any unit? It must start a new battle. Or they will co-exist in some way?
b) It is OK for USA, but invaders will propubly loose a supply line and such units will be destroyed. Am I right?

No ANswer yet?

I'll Try. Only played once

1) Correct

2) Combined arms Doesn't score a hit against cities and mountains. think of those as defensive terrain. The combined arms represent extra chances to take casualties and defenders in cities and mountains are protected from that.

3)Only 1 round of battle. Makes the game more strategic in my mind. you can't fight to the death with one lucky INF guy :P

4)Yes. It would be unfair for the invader to be able to fire out and receive no counterattack.

5) The last step of the US player turn is to check to see if anyone has won. that's the only time a victor can be declared.

6) I played this game once by myself. I used it thus. I declare an adjacent territory and one territory behind it. Helicopters scout to the furthest territory and Hovertanks or Infantry on transports invade the adjacent territory. During the invasion step the hovertanks or transported infantry move to join the helicopter......then you take over two territories in a column in one turn. It's great for exploiting a breakthrough in the american lines. DOn't do it unless the adjacent territory is weakly defended compared to your attacking force. Bombers could assist if there is a stronger force and you want to strike through.

7) Maneuver is your pre combat speed. what you do depends on your final location...adjacent to declared in friendly territory? Attack! In declared territory? Scout.

8)what if you win the battle? How did other battles nearby go? Do you need to strengthen a position in case of counterattack? Depends on the situation but a this is a flexible unit that can attack one place and be somewhere else for defense...or possible escape out of reach so that they cant be picked off by bombers during Enemy turn.

9) "Fly Over" Means you cannot stop there you can cross an enemy territory to land somewhere else. You ncan never end your invasion movement in an enemy occupied territory. Invaders must end in a space that has one of thier control markers and Americans must end in a space without one.

hope that helps.

let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just a guy whose been playing Board games for 25 years but I've only played this one once.

I made a mistake on 6). The Hovertanks or Transported Infantry wouldn't be able to join the Helis until the maneuver phase of the next turn.

This is for a complete Collapse of American Defenses on a front,. this allows the fastest take over of lightly defended territory as the frontline moves two spaces a turn rather than one.

For #1, the reason why is the invaders initial placement basically is their reinforcement for the turn. The USA gets to reinforce on their first turn because it's likely some of their starting forces will have been destroyed by then, since they go last.