Giant Mech

By Bloody Spirits, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Are there any giant mechs in game if so what are the implications

Titans and other giant mecha exist in the setting, but there are no rules for them. This makes sense to me, because they are the largest-scale siege weapons out there, and small arms fire won't kill one, and they aren't in a position to deal damage to void ships ordinarily. Even if they jump REALLY HIGH.

Someone made a stab at making one here, but the general consensus was that it was too weak: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/37794-advice-on-converting-a-chaos-reaver-battle-titan-to-dw-stats-weapons-and-void-shields/

Basically you'd be fighting something with void shields and kilometer-spanning weapons designed to vaporize city walls. I can believe Only War might come out with stats for one eventually, but it belongs to a scale of game all its own. Theoretically your PCs could infiltrate one and fight from the inside, but then you don't NEED the stats for it.

Edit: No wait never mind, Deathwatch - Rites of Battle has the rules for a Warhound Titan. So you can look there if you want the stats for what the smallest of the Imperial Mecha can do.

Edited by Erathia

There's also rules for using titans in the mass combat rules in BFK, though the way I remember it they're terrifyingly weak. Don't quote me on that, though - just thinking about those rules gives me a headache that would make Kharn call in sick, so I can't say for certain.

DW has rules for a Warhound Titan, one of the "smaller" ones (RoB, p.186). It's pretty cheesy, and more than a match for most players. Without typing its stats, it has Land Raider-class armor, two semi-staggering void shields, and some very nice guns. If you aren't firing at it from space (and I'd have it backed up with stuff that can), or fighting in tandem with Space Marines or Guard who brought their tanks, your only real option is to close with it, board, and fight the crew, all without getting vaporized, and as I always mention when I talk about tanks, they SHOULD have support, in the form of troops and other vehicles, so getting to the feet isn't as easy for you as it was for Luke Skywalker. They are only called out on the worst things, by the AdMech, not the Guard, SMs, or whoever else, so they are never "just there", and the AdMech would never willingly leave them unsupported. So, they are VERY silly-powerful, and come with an army.

Edited by venkelos

Black Crusade also has stats for Titan-class daemon engines.

Nothing that any PC Career is designed to ever pilot.

Titans require a Princeps, which is basically a person with a specialized MIU that connects to the Titan's machine spirit, allowing them to control the Titan with their mind. Yeah, those guys are 100% the property of the Adeptus Mechanicus, do not pass go. Even smaller units like Knights are solely under Mechanicus control in their Titan Legions, and it's questionable whether the Imperium still has the tech know-how to miniaturize sufficiently to produce Knights.

On the other hand, you have the Nemesis Dreadknight battle suit, which is for Grey Knight Space Marines only, to fight big daemons.

Well, if my sources are correct (and they often are) the new Imperial Guard Codex will have the Knight Titan in them. This would be cool since they have always been absent from TT.

That's awesome. I've always loved the idea of the Knights.

Strange that they're IG, since all the fluff of Knight Worlds has ever been that they're part of the AdMechs' security web for Forge Worlds.

Isn't part of the fluff for Knights that they were operated by lords of agri-worlds that supported Forge Worlds? Or is that too old of fluff? There are Knights active in the Calaxis sector, so it may be possible to get support from them. It would be far easier to accomplish than getting a Titan.

Where are they in Calixis? What book is that in?

Lathe Worlds page 110. They serve as support and reserve forces for Legio Venator. 'No less than eighteen Knights from four separate worlds serve across the Calixis Sector'. There is a sidebar that give more information about it.

Titans should not really be within the reach of RT players per the fluff, you're just talking about something that's too valuable to let go for any ammount of money. It's not even a matter of expense it's more a matter of "hey there are like thirty worlds in the entire glaxy that can make this and there's a 2,500 yeqar waiting list for the fuckers".

I agree on the point of true titans. Your players would have to have established their own forge world or saved a major forge world to have that kind of pull. Knights seem possible both by fluff and overall level of power. I stated them out as slightly weaker than a Dreadnaught. I wouldn't allow them as just a acquisition test, they are definitely something you need to build an Endeavor around. (Oddly, there is an endeavor for obtaining temporary use of a Titan in Hostile Acquisitions).

To be honest, even saving a Forge World, the Mechanicus will never straight-up give away a Titan. They will heap rewards and thanks on their savior, but they won't give away a God-Machine.

Now, help the Mechanicus enough and they may send a Titan and its support assets to assist you with some objective, and woe betide your foes!

Temporary assistance from true Titans is about the best you can hope for when it comes to true Titans. Titans are allways based out of Forge Worlds. Usually ones set aside for that purpose. If you are in high favor with the Mechanicus, and the great engines are not required elsewhere, you could have a Titan walk with your armies. Against all but the most powerful opponents, you will be victorious.

Knights often operate out of worlds allied with the Mechanicus though, as that was how they originally came about. I could see a properly aligned RT of sufficient power gain a Knight on his main world. It would be a Grand Endeavor, but would be possible. My players (primarily the Magos) are building a Forge World amongst their colonies. They are in the process of working towards housing a unit of Knights on that Forge World.

Even if you fudge it so a Titan somehow becomes involved in the game you're basically have to come up with rules for how that combat would work from the ground up. Something more within the scope of a medium mech from Battletech could probably be generated and run fairly easily from the existing land vehicle rules but I dunno if you wanna play Battletech just play Battletech.

In BFK in the ground wars section has ground war stats for them. Though they are very lacking in detail. The whole section is very abstract actually, but that's already been addressed in other posts.

Edited by Nameless2all

Even if you fudge it so a Titan somehow becomes involved in the game you're basically have to come up with rules for how that combat would work from the ground up. Something more within the scope of a medium mech from Battletech could probably be generated and run fairly easily from the existing land vehicle rules but I dunno if you wanna play Battletech just play Battletech.

Rules for Titan stats and fighting them are in Deathwatch.

Also, I'm forgetting some of the lesser IG walkers, which are kinda like AT-STs.

Rules for Titan stats and fighting them are in Deathwatch.

Also, I'm forgetting some of the lesser IG walkers, which are kinda like AT-STs.

One version is in... Into the Storm I think? The power lifter?

The standard combat version is in Only War.

Yeah, just Warhounds. On the one hand, I'm fine with that because, um, yeah, they're pretty intense. On the other, we have stated Bio-Titans, so being able to have mechanical support for Emperor Titans would be helpful.

This might be a broad interpretation of the word "mecha" but aren't the huge landships of Zayth technically mecha? They're huge, they use multiple legs to carry themselves and are large enough to have their own hive and possibly shoot down a Rogue Trader ship from space.

This might be a broad interpretation of the word "mecha" but aren't the huge landships of Zayth technically mecha? They're huge, they use multiple legs to carry themselves and are large enough to have their own hive and possibly shoot down a Rogue Trader ship from space.

I wouldn't think so. The landships of Zayth are more like moving cities (as in their description). Hence why they have Cruiser like capabilities and shields (as in their description). The "mechs" they are referring to are like the ones in Battle Tech. Operated by only a handful of people, and maybe, maybe, carrying an additional dozon more for quick internal repairs. If the it's an imperial Titan then it's like a company of troops. The normal "mech" is not on the scale of void warships. The Imperator Titan is the largest, and stands 55.5 meters tall. A cruiser is about 5 km long.

I've heard a rumor that GW is bringing back Knights (from the old Epic game) as a choice in the tabletop game. My understanding is that Knights are owned/operated by Imperial noble families rather than the military, so it would probably make sense that some Rogue Trader dynasties have a few that they can call upon.

I've heard a rumor that GW is bringing back Knights (from the old Epic game) as a choice in the tabletop game. My understanding is that Knights are owned/operated by Imperial noble families rather than the military, so it would probably make sense that some Rogue Trader dynasties have a few that they can call upon.

Pretty sure that Knights are solely owned and operated by the Adeptus Mechanicus, as they are a class of Titan... just smaller, and not as well-used anymore. They played an important role during the rebellion on Mars during the Horus Heresy, but after that have been relegated to the occasional supporting duties for a full Titan deployment and (presumably) guard duty. They do require someone modified similar to a Princeps to pilot it, meaning even if an Imperial Noble found one, it would be difficult to find someone capable of producing a pilot, and the AdMech would probably politely but firmly ask for it back kill them for tech-heresy.

Knights are operated by Knight Houses, from worlds allied with the Mechanicum. They are not piloted by Tech Priests of Princeps. They are piloted by nobles from those worlds who have sworn loyalty to the Mechanicum. They tend to stay on their worlds unless called up to fight alongside the Titan Legions. They are not true Titans, and are not based on Forge Worlds.

They are a kind of strange niche, but I could easily see a RT gaining the service of a few of them as part of a deal with a Forge World in exchange for extremely valuable Archeotech or STC fragmets and continuing resource support. Arranging that support would probably cost some permanent PF, but could also be part of an Explorator's personal forces.