The 8 Major Psy Powers from DH1 that you miss most

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Hy guys,

As the devs ask what powers we are missing, I would like to ask you which are the 8 major powers from DH1 (please no minor powers for now - I know that we all miss them) that are not in DH2 yet, and dont have something instead thats doing the almost exact same job.

In general, I think divination lost a lot of interesting narrative powers and got some duplicates that dont really make my heart jump...

Honestly - now Divination feels like a WoW combat support class - thats horrible !

My list:

1.) Projection: the way of the bodiless psyker

2.) Dowsing: finding something or someone

3.) Psychometry: detect a places / objects emotional aura

4.) Cellular Control: like in DH1 + some of the options of DH1-shape flesh (which now are gone)

5.) Psychic Blade: do it the Jedi way

6.) Personal Augury: tell the future (exist as winding fates)

7.) Far Sight: sending your perception to a far away place

8.) Soul Sight: see the true character of a person

Please, devs, especially give some love to Divination. Currently it feels like a cheap computer-gamey discipline !

Also a lot of the other powers feel too much battle-oriented. This is NOT OW. We need more narrative / investigative powers !

Edited by GauntZero

Could not have put this better,

Please dev's, please give us some narrative/non-combat abilities for psykers.

Regards

Surak

I like that list but I would also like to see Conjure Fire, Precision Telekinesis and Beast Master.

Oh, except Personal Augury. You still have that power, it is now called Winding Fate ;) .

+1 to this... especially Dowsing and Psychometery. Useful powers in an investigation centered game,

Edited by LuciusT

I don't have the book on me reight now, but wasn't there some heavy load TK on DH1?

If so, this, besides the powers already mentioned here, is the one I miss the most.

I feel like every discipline should have a couple non-combat powers. Even pyromancy could have a focused heat power that allows a psyker to melt locks and cut through bulkheads given some time (similar to a lascutter). They have a pyromancy power that can stop Blood Loss, so a similarly precise application of this power seems reasonable.

Precision Telekinesis is a great out-of-combat power but might be a little broken in combat if you could just pull all the pins on an enemy's grenades. Maybe they should oppose the power with a Strength test to represent them holding down the pins?

Edited by Covered in Weasels

Precision Telekinesis is a great out-of-combat power but might be a little broken in combat if you could just pull all the pins on an enemy's grenades. Maybe they should oppose the power with a Strength test to represent them holding down the pins?

They'd have to realise what was going on, and react before it's too late. That's not likely to happen (as human reaction time is at best 0.2 seconds), and would be better represented by perception then strength anyway.

I like that list but I would also like to see Conjure Fire, Precision Telekinesis and Beast Master.

Oh, except Personal Augury. You still have that power, it is now called Winding Fate ;) .

Ok - you are right - I take it out from the list.

Btw - I hate name changes of existing talents / powers as it makes more work to convert NPCs from old adventures...

They'd have to realise what was going on, and react before it's too late. That's not likely to happen (as human reaction time is at best 0.2 seconds), and would be better represented by perception then strength anyway.

True. If it was placed very far down the Telekinesis tree (like in DH1) it might not even be that broken. If other psykers can set entire rooms on fire, pulling a grenade pin doesn't actually seem that bad :D

1.) - 6.) Mind Scan - This power is great and fluffy and no, Telepathic link is not really similar. Our group had a couple of great sessions when the psyker tried it on innocent citizens and rogue sorcerers as well. It sometimes filled half the session's time when he tried to interrogate someone this way. Telepathic link is bland in comparison. The step by step procedure to delve deeper into the oppsoing mind made it really thrilling (especially combined with the "closer than flesh" rules, where every psyker thought twice about scanning an insane witch...) and the center piece/power of every real telepath in my view.

7.) Holocaust - Even though Sunburst sort of replaces it.

8.) Constrict - This is just soooo Darth Vader...

In essence all powers could be more fluffy and less tasting like Only War (ie. part of a war ganme).

Edited by Luthor Harkon

I just checked it - and they really just copy-pasted OW 1:1...

As DH is a investigate-heavy game, we would need a whole bunch of additional more narrative / investigative powers !

Divination & Telepathy especially need some lov ein this regard !

+1.

A few of the divination powers seem really narratively interesting until you actually read the crunch and realize that all that they do is give you combat bonuses.

I gotta say this topicis turning out be very interesting.

It's good to see how we are all in the same page about the powers, and the feeling that we need more utilitarian and investigative powers, not just more ways to inflict damage.

Its really surprising how a lot of people have the same oppinion about this.

I guess this really comes from the OW copy-paste. OW is rather combat oriented...therefore the investigative side is missing...

I really hope the devs have a look on this an bring back a dozen or so of investigative / more narrative / non-combat powers.

Agreed! If space is a concern, I would actually prefer that they cut some of the less interesting/popular combat powers to make room for the investigative ones instead of leaving out the non-combat powers entirely. Of course it would be best to keep the current powers and add new ones, but sometimes the realities of publishing make this impractical.

They already saved Psyker-space by skipping the different disciplines phenomena table...

Let it be just 10 additional powers or so (~3 well-used pages) - if the right ones are chosen, this is sufficient. But in the current state, its like a cheap OW copy :(

If space is really such a limiting factor, I'd prefer not to have an adventure in the core book and instead just publish it seperately as a free pdf (as all players will have the COre book anyway, I am not a fan of adventures in one).

Edited by GauntZero

They already saved Psyker-space by skipping the different disciplines phenomena table...

That actually makes me really sad. I thought that unique phenomena for each discipline was very fitting.

It was really fitting indeed, and I also miss it, but if I'd had to decide between that and a few additional investigative powers...well...I'd take the second one.

If I could get both - that would of course be best :D

I would really like a large number of psychic powers to be non-combat powers. On the other hand, with powers such as mind scan, far sight, dowsing and soul sight, there is a big risk of psychic powers making investigative skills completely redundant.

I think it is important that a psyker that spends 1000 xp on investigative powers doesn't vastly outperform another investigator that spends 1000 xp on investigative skills. A bit more power to make up for the risk of using psychic powers is fine, however.

I think they need to offer different things than investigative skills. Information that you otherwise cannot get at all.

I think they need to offer different things than investigative skills. Information that you otherwise cannot get at all.

Yes, though I don't think they should give information that makes investigation skills irrelevant though. They should provide leads which can be investigated further. For example, a Divination power might show the psyker a vision of a murder that occurred several days ago, but the figures are hazy and cannot be identified. This could put the Acolytes on the trail of the murderers but wouldn't straight up reveal their identities.

As visions, emotions and such are rather vague and up to the GM, they are good to provide leads to players in a narrative way.

That actually makes me really sad. I thought that unique phenomena for each discipline was very fitting.

And then they had the temerity to leave in a reference to the removed tables. They are really phoning it in with this new beta.

I agree...such mistakes are not really funny.

But what angers me most is the Copy-Paste process. YOu cant just take over psy powers 1:1 - c'mon.

And thats not the only thing.

If they would have taken OW as the new base for the rules and carefules threaded in some of the improved stuff that would more easily be integrate-able (fatigue-system, Psy changes, Fear-rules, Corruption & Insanity, already corrected mistakes ...)

Yea, that kinda felt like a slap in the face.