Dark Acolyte question

By sammann11, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

I am assuming that cards retain their card text while in the discard pile. This is how Necromancy is possible, as well a discarded King Kazador not being able to be targeted by the Mortis Engine or certain DE slave effects for free.

Under this assumption I have 2 questions:

Dark Acolyte's ( http://deckbox.org/whi/Dark%20Acolyte ) text box reads:

Destruction only.This unit gains the power of the topmost unit in your discard pile.

Also:

Abyssal Terror's ( http://deckbox.org/whi/Abyssal%20Terror ) text box reads:

Undead only. Battlefield only. Necromancy.This unit gains [P] for each unit in your discard pile

So - let's say you had 5 units in your discard pile, the topmost being the Abyssal Terror. I am assuming that he now has a power of 5. So if I have a Dark Acolyte in play, he would have a power of 6. Similarly If I have a Dark Acolyte as the topmost unit in my discard pile then I assume his power to be 2 (he gains the printed power of himself - 1+1 = 2). If I had another Dark Acolyte in my Kingdom, he would now have a power of 3.

Am I right here?

Kazador's constant effect doesn't work in discard pile, constants only work there if card says they do.

Abyssal Terror in discard pile has power of 0.

Edited by Virgo

Virgo,

Thanks for your answer. You are probably right (you usually are - :) ) but I am still confused about why his power would be zero. I'm sure it's stated somewhere but I can't seem to find it - we still kept falling back on the whole "How would Necromancy be possible if we're ignoring text boxes."

In the FAQ it says "unless otherwise stated constant effects only apply to cards in play." The cards aren't blank; the constant effects just do not apply in the discard pile unless it specifically says they do. Necromancy specifically allows you to trigger it from the discard pile.

Edited by cparadis

In the FAQ it says "unless otherwise stated constant effects only apply to cards in play." The cards aren't blank; the constant effects just do not apply in the discard pile unless it specifically says they do. Necromancy specifically allows you to trigger it from the discard pile.

This.

Ahhh! Got it. Thanks guys! I was overlooking the fact that their "abilities" were constant effects. D'oh!