What is the "Swift" trait?

By Emirikol, in WFRP Rules Questions

FROM THE GRAVE==
Vanhel’s Danse Macabre – Rank 1 – Necromancy - You and your attended undead gain Swift trait.

What is the swift trait?

Swift = one extra free manouvre per turn.

It can be found in the Omens of War p 47 in the part about riding horses. I believe that the rule can be found elswhere as well (I'm sure I've seen it in other books or on creature cards) but one of my players purchased a riding horse yesterday so I knew where to find it.

Swift = one extra free manouvre per turn.

It can be found in the Omens of War p 47 in the part about riding horses. I believe that the rule can be found elswhere as well (I'm sure I've seen it in other books or on creature cards) but one of my players purchased a riding horse yesterday so I knew where to find it.

I second that - it is stated very clearly on the referenced page. However, I know of one place where it is stated otherwise: the beastiary from the Tome of Adventure (core set) says that Giant Wolves, being Swift, "may perform 1 free manoeuvre each turn". This might be a misspelling - if not, it should be disregarded, since that rule would apply to all creatures anyway.

I believe that would imply a bonus maneuver right?

Yes, one "standard" free manouver and one extra free manouver for the swift trait. It's fun to have swift zombies chase the PCs.

Yes, one "standard" free manouver and one extra free manouver for the swift trait. It's fun to have swift zombies chase the PCs.

Speaking of, I have a house rule that deprives zombies of this free manoeuvre (I hate that quasi-french spelling), since it doesn't make much sense that zombies have standard mobility - it's just not very zombie-like. In order to move, I have made them either sacrifice an action or suffer fatigue, which make them rather easy to get away from so long as you aren't surrounded or cornered. The spell in question would then simply annulate this rule, rather than turning them into runners.

Per page 101 of the creature guide (and the creature cards that come in the vault), zombies already can't run:

" Shambling: Skeletons, Crypt Ghouls, and Zombies cannot voluntarily suffer fatigue (or wounds) to give themselves extra movement manoeuvres unless there is a controlling force or focus of great necromantic power within long range. That controlling force (such as a powerful vampire, necromancer, or wight lord) may choose to suffer stress to give its minions additional movement manoeuvres. "

So it seems the rules intent for Vanhel’s Danse Macabre is for the zombies to move 2 manoeuvres total per turn (1 normal, plus a second extra move each turn from gaining Swift). Extra zombie moves beyond that would cost the necromancer 1 stress per zombie per move, which means there's a relatively modest practical limit to how long the zombies can run (and how large a pack of them can do so). A nemesis necromancer with the right stress-mitigation talents might be able to push it a bit, but honestly they probably have better things to do with their energies than simply making zombies run.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom

See-Zombie-Run.gif I dunno about you guys' games, but my zombies are like that. Technically, Necromancers cannot create permanent undead unless they themselves have the SUPERNATURAL trait and use the "Raise Dead" action. So, although a necromancer's undead may be sort of dumb and slow, I'd allow the danse macabre to create "Fast Zombies." Anything to scare the hell out of jaded players is good.

Edited by Emirikol