Chaaaaaaarge!

By Darth Smeg, in Game Mechanics

Black Crusade introduced the possibility of using different Attack actions with Charge. This was later changed back to only Single Attack in the Errata, probably because of other munchkin talents that you could stack up for some obscene attack combos.

However, I really liked being able to charge in with either an All-out or a Swift attack, for the flexibility it allowed. It also removes some of the disadvantages of being the one who charges as the rules stand now:

One attack, easily parried or dodged (one single DoS will do). Then face the full wrath of your target as he unleashes his full action of dual-wielding lightning strikes or whatever.

So, I wish for FFG to reevalute this, and to introduce the option to combine Charge with more Attack Actions.

I agree this is a good idea, albeit one that should be considered very carefully. I distinctly remember mincing everything my Raptor charged towards in Black Crusade, thanks to multiple attacks on the charge (and a jump pack, and lightning claws).

Still, that was straight out of chargen.

Yeah, it was these super-cheese combos that "broke" it. I remember there were several people who, like me, felt that the Errata change was a sad things for more "normal" characters.

It could work to just set a hard limit on the amount of hits you can make on the charge, so that things like Lightning Attack couldn't get too obscene.

I think the damage bonus from old beta was a good thing. Also you could state that if you have less DoS on a parry test, than attacker, the attack still goes through.

EDIT: Oh snap, I just read the Inescapable Attack. I think that talent is A: too good, B:too cheap. As I understand it, its all or nothing. So you'll get full lightning attack in the face. If left at this state, it should be Tier 3 talent, with some wicked prerequisites. Not 35/40. More like 40/50.

Or you could just state it only works for single attack or Charge. And leave the rest as it is.

Edited by Amaimon

Yes, they do need to change Inescapable attack to work better with multiple hits. Or make it so it only works with single attacks, like All out or Standard.

As for different attacks on the charge, I think it would fine if we limited it to Swift Attack and other actions. Lightning attack gets pretty ridiculous.

As for different attacks on the charge, I think it would fine if we limited it to Swift Attack and other actions. Lightning attack gets pretty ridiculous.

This is actually how Charges work in Black Crusade -- characters can make Standard, Swift, or All-out Attacks at the end of a charge, but Lightning Attack is not allowed.

@CiW - dude, your behind. Read the errata, then come back.

I'd also like to see a way to increase damage with a charge.

Is there a talent yet ?

I think a to-hit penalty and/or parry/dodge buff would help mitigate the massive damage spike.

Yeah, we don't want fighters doing to well in combat, lest they outshine the wizards.

...I really liked being able to charge in with either an All-out or a Swift attack, for the flexibility it allowed. It also removes some of the disadvantages of being the one who charges as the rules stand now:

One attack, easily parried or dodged (one single DoS will do). Then face the full wrath of your target as he unleashes his full action of dual-wielding lightning strikes or whatever.

So, I wish for FFG to reevalute this, and to introduce the option to combine Charge with more Attack Actions.

I have to disagree; the number of attacks you can make represents the best you can do within the increment of a 'round'. If you spend a chunk of that increment running across the room, how would that not reduce the number of attacks you can make in the same amount of time?

Or, to look at it from the other direction, if you can run across the room and still have time to make multiple attacks, shouldn't you be able to make twice as many attacks if you don't spend part of your finite 'round' running instead of fighting?

I have to disagree; the number of attacks you can make represents the best you can do within the increment of a 'round'. If you spend a chunk of that increment running across the room, how would that not reduce the number of attacks you can make in the same amount of time?

Or, to look at it from the other direction, if you can run across the room and still have time to make multiple attacks, shouldn't you be able to make twice as many attacks if you don't spend part of your finite 'round' running instead of fighting?

It's a fair point, but as the new version changes Swift Attacks to a Half Action, it isn't really as clear cut any more.

You can do a Half Move, and then a Swift or Lightning Attack, so the number of attacks you can make represents the best you can do within the increment of HALF a 'round'.

The remaining distinction then is really about the distances the various move-actions allow you, but that's a different discussion. While a Half (or Full) Move represents evasive movement, trying not to get hit, the Charge move is more hostile "run" towards the target.

As for your last point, that's more of an argument for allowing two Lightning Attacks after each other. Or any other Half Action repeated twice in one turn. This is not permitted, and the reasoning has nothing to do with logic or reality :)