Speed restrictions and new Barrage starship actions

By snapeye, in Game Mechanics

The new capital ship class starship actions (the Barrage ones) have size restrictions of silhouette 5+ and speed restrictions of 1 - 3 speed. Does this mean that any 5+ size ship can use these actions as long as they reduce speed to that range? Or is that speed range meant to indicate ships that can ONLY travel a maximum of listed 3 speed?

Basically, can the Wayfarer use these new actions as long as it travels under speed 4? Or are these meant for much larger capital ships that generally never go that fast?

(I kind of hope it's the latter, as the former doesn't make sense to me. The silhouettes are abstracted, and the smaller size 5 ships don't have a bunch of batteries to barrage with.)

Well. I hadn't thought of that issue. Hm. I'd be willing to test the former, as long as you're going slow enough you can attempt those actions... But I'd change it if it became a problem, not that my players will ever get a Silhouette 5 ship the way things are looking now.

It's not RAW, but I use the current Speed for all restricted Maneuvers. I allow a YT-1300 (Speed 3) to use Gain the Advantage while the pilot has Full Throttle (+1 Speed) active. For the Maneuvers listed in the OP, a fast ship should be able to slow down to use them.

It's not RAW, but I use the current Speed for all restricted Maneuvers. I allow a YT-1300 (Speed 3) to use Gain the Advantage while the pilot has Full Throttle (+1 Speed) active. For the Maneuvers listed in the OP, a fast ship should be able to slow down to use them.

It isn't? If it isn't, then changing speed has 0 benefit for speed 2-4 ships once at speed 2.

Speed is already massively underutilized.

I'd agree that speed is underutilized, but there is a benefit of speed when it comes to chases... and of course once you are fast enough to perform Gain the Advantage it matters, but speed 2-3 is basically the same speed except during chases. 4 is that much better since it allows GtA and will matter when it comes to performing that Pilot check.

Now, I'd probably be open to consider allowing current speed, as modified by talents, to allow pilots, at least PCs, to perform these more restricted actions and manoeuvres, but as it stands I don't have to.