Bomb teleportation

By Bloody Spirits, in Rogue Trader House Rules

In any case needing the gellar to be off to teleport has never been part of the fluff. Just void shields.

This is another reason why I think that the Gellar Field isn't on normally, because the Teleportarium very clearly moves people through the Warp, which is exactly what the Gellar Field is designed to prevent.

BFG rules state that teleportation can be attempted within 10cm of an enemy vessel and that works out to 1 VU in RT, for what that's worth.

In any case needing the gellar to be off to teleport has never been part of the fluff. Just void shields.

The reason why it isn't part of the fluff, is because the Gellar Field is never on unless the ship is in the Warp. So, they had no reason to say the Gellar Field would need to be turned off in order to use the Teleportarium. I'm pretty sure, in any FFG/GW book/RPG/comic strip/etc, they never tried to teleport someone while traveling in the warp, to/from another vessel (because this is usually the only time when the Gellar was active).

Edit: Disregard this post, didn't realize I was 3 months behind the power curve.

Edited by Nameless2all

BFG rules state that teleportation can be attempted within 10cm of an enemy vessel and that works out to 1 VU in RT, for what that's worth.

so... you have 100 cm speed raiders in you BFG BBG? ;)

It works out to about 3 VU and to be honest, I figured that was the basis of the 5 VU limit for hit-and-run attacks given in the corebook.

I based my math on the range of the guns. In BFG they are 30cm, 45 cm, and 60 cm. In RT they are 3, 6, and 9. There are exceptions, of course. In BFG, teleportation attacks can only occur within 10 cm. Some liberties have to be taken. I used the shortest ranges, since that's where a teleportarium is used.

I based my math on the range of the guns. In BFG they are 30cm, 45 cm, and 60 cm. In RT they are 3, 6, and 9. There are exceptions, of course. In BFG, teleportation attacks can only occur within 10 cm. Some liberties have to be taken. I used the shortest ranges, since that's where a teleportarium is used.

Except, the maximum range of the guns in RT is universally twice their listed range.

Eg, a Mars Macro cannon can hit a target up to 12 VU away, though with a -10 to hit beyond 6 VU.

By that calculation ofcourse the teleportarium reaches only 2 VU anyway :-/

I'ts been some years since I've played BFG, but I thought their ranges were also doubled and the listed range was merely effective range. Is this not the case?

Regardless, the teleportarium is definitely a shorter range attack option than assault boats, which were essentially unlimited in BFG, though not so in RT RAW (which I also disregard, as with many of their rules, such as shields being good against every firing ship--in my campaign those are only good for an entire round---fleet engagements are over much faster this way).

I'ts been some years since I've played BFG, but I thought their ranges were also doubled and the listed range was merely effective range. Is this not the case?

Regardless, the teleportarium is definitely a shorter range attack option than assault boats, which were essentially unlimited in BFG, though not so in RT RAW <snip>

The Assault Boats option from BFG is the Assault Boats option in BFK, meaning you need launch bays.

And while it's not exactly unlimited in RT/BFK, it's close enough for practical purposes.

The 10 cm 'teleport attack' from BFG is what they're trying to simulate with the 5 VU hit'n'run as far as I can tell, though they're broadening the definition to include "guys in smallcrafts".

I'm not surprised if I'm mixing things up.

I don't recall Ordnance in BFG having a limit to the number of turns they can remain after launching. In RT, I believe the limit is 4 turns.

In the final measure, we all house rules stuff. I personally find murder servitors silly and disallow them. On the other hand, ordnance has a very long range, as fighters and bombers have sleeping quarters in them and were used for long-range interplanetary scouting missions. I don't use that limiting rule, hence I don't remember it.

I'm not surprised if I'm mixing things up.

I don't recall Ordnance in BFG having a limit to the number of turns they can remain after launching. In RT, I believe the limit is 4 turns.

In the final measure, we all house rules stuff. I personally find murder servitors silly and disallow them. On the other hand, ordnance has a very long range, as fighters and bombers have sleeping quarters in them and were used for long-range interplanetary scouting missions. I don't use that limiting rule, hence I don't remember it.

Going totally off the OP. Wasn't there a turn limit the game any way? Like you have 7 turns to complete so and so objective, and whoever has the most points at the end wins? If so, this would undoubtedly be the reason why they didn't implement Ordnance having any limits.

Returning the subject at hand to the original topic- teleporting bombs.

I would rule teleporting conventional munitions as identical to a hit and run attack, except you don't get to decide what you blew up. IF the teleportarium was large enough to transport them, I could see using it to teleport a Torpedo warhead, in which case it would just count as one torpedo hit.

If the warhead so teleported was either Vortex or Atomic, I could see very bad things ensuing.

I would just make the whole thing backfire really badly so my players didn't try it again. After all, if this were a viable tactic it would be common procedure.

Teleportaria (Rogue Trader games aside) are not common, so it can't be a 'common procedure.' Further, the 40k universe tends not to nurture creativity, so there could be a very strong "teleportaria are for moving people" mindset.

Do as you like; the ruling I'd use makes it a nerfed hit-and-run anyway (barring the usage of torpedo warheads).

You can teleport atomics, so there's precedent for teleporting something on the scale of a macrocannon shell.

Atomics are fired IN a macrocannon shell or torpedo - they're not going to be any bigger than modern day nukes. But bear in mind that a standard bomb or macro shell or torpedo warhead isn't going to do a huge amount of damage to a ship if teleported inside - at most it would allow you to bypass the targets armour if you succeeded on the teleport action.
Atomics are so crippling because of the sheer force that can burst a ship apart from the inside, burning off atmosphere and slaughtering huge swathes of the crew, all in a matter of seconds. If the crew of a ship realizes you're teleporting standard munitions inside their ship they'll seal all their air-gates and blast doors and focus on getting their shielding back online so you can't teleport :P

For teleportation of atomics or other big big badda-booms (like Novacannon warheads) I have simply houseruled that it is not possible and I found a satisfying "techno-babble" explanation for my players why it is that way.

Use of a teleportarium in 40k is usually described as producing a "teleportation flare" ... a burst of radiation, lightnings, the smell of ozone in the air. So the process of teleportation causes a lot of energetic interference which may destabilize things like huge plasma warheads or the densely packed plutonium of an atomic. Additionally, minute fluctuations of mass density in the teleported object may as well result in local critical mass and set off a catastrophic meltdown reaction of the atomic charge. This may emulate the intended effect of the teleportation attempt anyway if it happens inside the enemy's ship but the payload would also be subject to this energetic interference while still inside your teleportarium chamber.

If asked to perform such a foolhardy attempt every sane Techpriest (and I know there are not many of this kind on Rogue Trader ships) would quite likely answer your request with a litany of binary curses and obscenities...