[FRENCH PLAYER QUESTION] Timing of strategy and kingdom cards.

By grouik2, in Age of Conan

Hello, hello!

The return of the french player with stupid questions! lengua.gif

Many cards say for example "at the start of a contest...": in case of two players who should play theirs powers first? Or strategy cards?

Can we react? "Ah ha! you play your card xx so I will play this one!"

Help!! gran_risa.gif

In our battles ample time was given for both sides to decide. After awhile everyone was more cautious about using everything at once, and the use of Sorcery Tokens (if at hand) changed the outcome even more. We havent ran into any problems yet.

Necronis said:

In our battles ample time was given for both sides to decide. After awhile everyone was more cautious about using everything at once, and the use of Sorcery Tokens (if at hand) changed the outcome even more. We havent ran into any problems yet.

not really problems but more action reaction questions... preocupado.gif

Played another two player game yesterday and noticed for the first & second ages my decisions where dictated by the fact I never had enough gold to refresh cards in that phase. Guess thats another deciding factor. Another reason I like this game- and so did the friend I intrduced it to Sunday.

I don't have the answer to your question but I wanna know the answer too.

I'll just give more detail.

We all know how contests works :

CONTESTS - SUMMARY
Every contest involves the following sequence of steps:
1) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
2) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
3) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
4) Defender reveals his card (if any).
5) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
6) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
7) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:
- At any point during the sequence, either player may use a play-on-the-table kingdom card or an instant kingdom card which, as specified by its text, is usable in that moment.
- When Conan is present in a contest and the Conan player is involved, the player adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.
- When Conan is in a neutral province attacked by a non- Conan player, the defender adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.

Ok so the questions:

- when can you play the kingdom cards that are meant to be played 'at the start of a contest' in this sequence of event? if you're the attacker you play them before 1) or can you still play them before 5) or...??? Because if you still can play them before 5) (attacker) or 6) (defender) that means that the defender can respond to what the attacker played more easily.

I guess another way to ask this is Are they played at the beginning like strategy cards or can you answer to your opponent

- I suppose, unlike the strategy cards, that the attacker doesn't have necessarily play them before the defender?

When it's set up like that it seems to answer itself- attacker sets the scene, defender reacts in order. I NOW see the point I was missing earlier. We just slapped down cards and taunts between complaining/rejoicing at the die results. I know we dont use any specific order. At least in my case with the exception of a re-roll my mind is already made up which cards I'm going to use. Along with avoiding Conan and trying not to be on the sharp end of the Sword of Atlantis. Next Wednesday night I'll try to remember this sequence and see how it plays out.

Necronis said:

When it's set up like that it seems to answer itself- attacker sets the scene, defender reacts in order. I NOW see the point I was missing earlier. We just slapped down cards and taunts between complaining/rejoicing at the die results. I know we dont use any specific order. At least in my case with the exception of a re-roll my mind is already made up which cards I'm going to use. Along with avoiding Conan and trying not to be on the sharp end of the Sword of Atlantis. Next Wednesday night I'll try to remember this sequence and see how it plays out.

and what if someone plays an instant? lengua.gif

It's all in the name babyI INSTANT AMBUSH.....Mwaaa Haaa Haaa

At least that states " at any time during your turn". 3 times now I've stockpiled the 2 Turanian "Ambush" cards and used them both to proceed an attack. I guess thats a given on the "Instant" Kingdom Cards. Of course Im all speculation here. Oh and everywhere else I post.

CONTESTS - SUMMARY
1) Attacker declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
2) Defender declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
3) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
4) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
5) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
6) Defender reveals his card (if any).
7) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
8) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
9) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:
- At any point during the sequence, either player may use a play-on-the-table kingdom card or an instant kingdom card which, as specified by its text, is usable in that moment.
- When Conan is present in a contest and the Conan player is involved, the player adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.
- When Conan is in a neutral province attacked by a non- Conan player, the defender adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.

This was taken from Sphere's post over at BBG.

Tsugo said:

CONTESTS - SUMMARY
1) Attacker declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
2) Defender declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
3) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
4) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
5) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
6) Defender reveals his card (if any).
7) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
8) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
9) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:

This was taken from Sphere's post over at BBG.

Many thanks Tsubo! gran_risa.gif

The summary Tsubo posted is correct. It's worthwhile noticing that multiple Kingdom cards may be played. So steps 1) and 2) can be repeated multiple times until neither player wants to play another Kingdom card.

"Any time" cards may be played.... any time!

Tsugo said:

Old thread, but I thought that Instant cards could only be played on your turn, so defenders can never play them in any contest. (I wrote the same thing in that BGG thread).

Columbob said:

Tsugo said:

Old thread, but I thought that Instant cards could only be played on your turn, so defenders can never play them in any contest. (I wrote the same thing in that BGG thread).

Can't edit posts? Oh well.

Ok, apparently some Instant cards can be played in an opponent's turn. So forget it.