Idea for dealing with damage.

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Problem with that is most of the written adventure stuff doesn't have much of a middle ground on damage, it's either never worry about it since you have decent armor or have fun dying. At least from what I've read.

Which adventures are you thinking of?

There's a real difference in tone and design I think between the Haarlock series and the Gambit one.

I'm going to chain a few prewritten games together and modify some stuff so it fits in more with the Haarlock Legacy enemies and factions involved overall.

Edge of Darkness

Illumination

Jurisdiction

Damned Cities

Rejoice for You are True

House of Dust and Ash

Maggots in the Meat

Tattered Fates

(two adventures I'll write concerning Sheol 17 and Lydia Haarlock's Tomb)

Dead Stars

Problem with that is most of the written adventure stuff doesn't have much of a middle ground on damage, it's either never worry about it since you have decent armor or have fun dying. At least from what I've read.

There's a real difference in tone and design I think between the Haarlock series and the Gambit one.

I'm going to chain a few prewritten games together and modify some stuff so it fits in more with the Haarlock Legacy enemies and factions involved overall.

Edge of Darkness

Illumination

Jurisdiction

Damned Cities

Rejoice for You are True

House of Dust and Ash

Maggots in the Meat

Tattered Fates

Dead Stars

I would do these in a completely different order. For one thing I would Tattered Fates first as in my experience it works very well as a "get characters together" adventure. Actually I think it's the least combat-intense adventure on here after Illumination (that's the one in the core book, right?)

I think you'll notice that you can in principle get through several of these with an absolute minimum of combat (in keeping with DH's origins as a horror game). House of Dust and Ash and Dead Stars are the two exceptions that jump out at me. Except that I'm not sure what Jurisdiction is.

I would just keep put the less dangerous adventures (like TF, RfyaT) at the beginning of the campaign where characters are low on equipment and build up to carapace and so forth as they build up XP

I would do

Tattered Fates

Rejoice for you are True

Barron Hopes or Shades of Twilight

Damned Cities

House of Dust and Ash

Dead Stars

Maggots in the Meat is I think just bad.

I would do these in a completely different order. For one thing I would Tattered Fates first as in my experience it works very well as a "get characters together" adventure. Actually I think it's the least combat-intense adventure on here after Illumination (that's the one in the core book, right?)

I think you'll notice that you can in principle get through several of these with an absolute minimum of combat (in keeping with DH's origins as a horror game). House of Dust and Ash and Dead Stars are the two exceptions that jump out at me. Except that I'm not sure what Jurisdiction is.

I would just keep put the less dangerous adventures (like TF, RfyaT) at the beginning of the campaign where characters are low on equipment and build up to carapace and so forth as they build up XP

I would do

Tattered Fates

Rejoice for you are True

Damned Cities

House of Dust and Ash

Dead Stars

I didn't ask your opinion on the order or for a different order.

I looked through all the adventures, the factions set up in the trilogy and other adventures, and decided what I wanted to have in there.

Illumination is the one in the core. Tattered fates at the beginning striked me as too much of a "you're all at an inn" flavor for anything, and taking away their not so shiny stuff at the beginning of the campaign loses the signifigance of its loss. I also don't want to give them a false sense of security with low combat in the beginning WH40K is dangerous and should be treated as such. Jurisdiction is the adventure in the back of the Book of Judgement. Maggots in the Meat is there to continue the Slaugth faction's part of the overall campaign.

Edit to fix some basic English errors that were annoying me.

Edited by ThenDoctor

But they don't have any shiny stuff at Rank 1. So they don't lose any in Tattered Fates. That's the point. It was, I believe, designed as an introductory adventure.

Use whatever order you want; I'm just pointing out that you have front-loaded the campaign with the more combat-heavy adventures (Damned Cities before Rejoice, for instance -- the opposition is much more combat-capable in the former, whereas some Rank 1s would not have to much trouble with Rejoice) where characters need heavy armour.

Do whatever you want, anyway.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

I think the point of Tattered Fates is to get the PC's mad that all their shiny stuff is gone for the time being, and it makes them fall back on the basics of their character and their inherent skills to get out of a tight spot. Taking away rank 1 gear is more or less starting them out at rank 1 except if you're a guardsman because you get some decent armor.

Edge of Darkness

Illumination

Jurisdiction

Damned Cities

Rejoice for You are True

House of Dust and Ash

Maggots in the Meat

Tattered Fates

Dead Stars

I would do

Tattered Fates

Rejoice for you are True

Damned Cities

House of Dust and Ash

Dead Stars

Baron Hopes requires GM Fiat to successfully complete. It's awful, honestly Purge the Unclean as a whole is very bad, Shades of Twilight being the one decent module. Frankly I think all the Black Industries modules are terrible with one exception (Shades of Twilight). FFG has done head and shoulders better with module quality.

For Haarlock we're doing Damned Cities - House of Dust and Ash - Tattered Fates - Dead Stars. Tattered Fates is much better with a pre-existing reason to hate Haarlock, which is provided much better by running Damned Cities first. And HoDoA also greatly benefits from having some knowledge about how bad Haarlock is before you experience his current monstrous castle.

Edited by Kshatriya

For Haarlock we're doing Damned Cities - House of Dust and Ash - Tattered Fates - Dead Stars. Tattered Fates is much better with a pre-existing reason to hate Haarlock, which is provided much better by running Damned Cities first. And HoDoA also greatly benefits from having some knowledge about how bad Haarlock is before you experience his current monstrous castle.

Basically my exact reasoning as well.

My same GM tried to run Haarlock a couple years ago but the game failed (I was the only returning player but we never got to Dead Stars, but he likes to consult with me about player-side feelings for the other modules since I have experience with them). The last time we got through HoDoA-TF-DC and I have to say, HoDoA is much creepier if it isn't the first time the PCs have dealt with Haarlock scheming. Instead of a random crazy dude, you know more of his history from other modules. In the same way, being kidnapped as the start-off for TF (and the Haarlock Trilogy as a whole) takes away to a degree if HoDoA (or something else) hasn't been run yet because you don't understand quite what a monster Haarlock was.

Doing DC-HoDoA-TF made a lot more sense to create backstory reasons. DC has the best entry into Haarlock, in that his involvement is not there until the adventure is almost done and you realize the importance of the Folly. With this knowledge, going into HoDoA we already have the lingering sense of unease about being in another Haarlock chateau, and I'm sure this will carry over well to the kidnapping and reveal of DC. We're currently in HoDoA and everyone hates Haarlock for the spooky **** and Big Reveal from DC. I am sure when we get to TF and it's revealed that Haarlock had a hands in the events unfolding there, tied in to the Big Dark Thing, the reaction will be even better!