Shocking VS Concussive

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Aren't they way too similar ?

Shocking:

A target that takes at least 1 point of damage from a Shocking weapon, after
Armour and Toughness bonus, must make a Challenging (+0)
Toughness test. If he fails, he is Stunned for a number of rounds
equal to his degrees of failure.

Concussive:

When a target is struck by a
Concussive weapon, he must take a Toughness test with a penalty
equal to 10 times the number in parentheses (X). For example, a
weapon with Concussive (2) would impose a –20 on Toughness
tests and Concussive (0) would be a test with no penalty. If he fails,
the target is Stunned for 1 round per degree of failure. Additionally,
if the target takes damage greater than his Strength bonus, he is
knocked Prone.

Shocking feels like the small brother of Concussive.

Wouldnt it be nice to make Shocking more unique ?

Could it be tied to fatigue as in Beta1 (Sapping) ?

Do you have other creative ideas to make Shocking more unique ?

Good point, there doesn't seem to be much advantage between the two effects, other than one ignores armour and toughness and the other doesn't (which admittedly is a useful change).

You could easily roll the two into Shocking and Touch Shocking (Shocking on hit) to keep it simple (do away with the prone bit as it doesn't add much).

That said, I've got a soft spot for the Beta 1 Sapping ability, especially if Beta 1 fatigue came back. I've always felt stunning for more than a round is pretty much a death sentence, so something that layers an effect on (like fatigue) would be a welcome change or -5 to stats per DoS for a round (Ag or T gets to 0, then you're stunned, so big beasts could be 'controlled' by the effect, but not stopped).

Beta1's fatigue was great !

I really hope they will bring it back !

I feel like shocking definitely needs to inflict fatigue. Otherwise, how do you incapacitate someone with a tazer?

I feel like shocking definitely needs to inflict fatigue. Otherwise, how do you incapacitate someone with a tazer?

Stun the person, hope it's for a few rounds, everyone grapples them, they can't fight back and you punch fatigue them.

Not really the image you want of skilled acolytes capturing their foe.....

Fatigue is definitely the way.

good point.

The change from SHocking to Sapping in the Beta1 was a good one.

good point.

The change from SHocking to Sapping in the Beta1 was a good one.

Agreed.

Stun the person, hope it's for a few rounds, everyone grapples them, they can't fight back and you punch fatigue them.

Not really the image you want of skilled acolytes capturing their foe.....

Fatigue is definitely the way.

Please nooo - not an amatewur-wrestling-match everytime you want to get a foe alive !

Fatigue is definetly to be renewed. Be it in the Beta1's shape or another more interesting one.

I realize "Shocking" exists in the game because it's been there since BI's inclusion, but why not limit "Shocking" as a SWQ, Reevaluate Concussive Ratings, and either make Shocking and Concussive distinctly different from each other or just roll it into Concussive. Give Concussive a re-write. You can still call it a Shock Maul, but its SWQ will be Concussive. I realize other weapons besides the Shock Maul possess the Shocking SWQ, but can they not swap for a SWQ more individually appropriate to the weapon in question?

I butted up against this notion a while back when I realized Shocking weapons were sidelined by Strike To Stun.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

Agreed.

How about

Concussive (X)

Concussive weapons strike with a powerful impact strong enough to temporarily knock a foe senseless. When a target is struck by a Concussive weapon, he must take a Toughness test with a penalty equal to 10 times the number in parentheses (X). For example, a weapon with Concussive (2) would impose a –20 on Toughness tests and Concussive (0) would be a test with no penalty. If he fails, the target is Stunned for 1 round per degree of failure and gain levels of Fatigue equal to the number in parentheses (X). Additionally, if the target takes damage greater than his Strength bonus, he is knocked Prone.

Shocking

Shocking weapons can incapacitate their opponents with a powerful surge of energy or other non-lethal means. A target that takes at least 1 point of damage from a Shocking weapon, after Armour and Toughness bonus, must make a Challenging (+0) Toughness test. If he fails, for every degree of failure he is stunned for a round and gains a level of Fatigue.