Rundown

By Mike, in Fury Of Dracula

No, I don't smell what The Rock is cooking.

I actually wanted to know if somebody could give me a quick rundown of the game - the gist, if you will. What makes this one so special?

Ok, I'll try to be concise. One guy plays Drac, everyone else plays a hunter. There's a time limit built into the game, within which the hunters have to kill Drac or he wins. One of the things that I love most about this game is Dracula's hidden movement. You basically have a line of cards that track where you've been, and they stay face down until a hunter encounters one of those spaces. If they do then they can see that you've been there, but Dracula has a variety of traps and encounters that he can leave behind him in the places that he's been to. If they can catch up to Dracula then they can fight him (he's stronger at night obviously), or Dracula can ambush them on his terms if he's in position. It's that tension that makes me enjoy the game as a whole. For the Dracula player it's timing. How do I move to keep myself safe, but still in position to pick off an isolated or weak hunter? For the hunters it's teamwork to cover the continent, find the count, and be prepared enough to kill him. It's generally a longish game at 2-3 hours or so, but the turns play quick so there isn't a ton of downtime. The first play or two will be longer as there are a number of small rules to remember and get used to. Hope I've done the game some kind of justice, and not made it sound too dry.

No, perfect, thanks! Sounds like Scotland Yard with a FFG touch. ^^

Mike said:

No, perfect, thanks! Sounds like Scotland Yard with a FFG touch. ^^