Carrying limits still/ again too high

By GauntZero, in Game Mechanics

I mean - this are limits on constant carrying...for me at least it would be much too high ( I guess I might have about a 5 if I add my T an Str ;D ) - I cant carry 27kg for a long time without any fatigue.

And an average Acolyte with sum 7 of T and Str could carry 45kg ?? To me that would be much...

I think putting the whole scale 1 step down each would be far more realistic.

ALso...why again are the Ag caps on armour gone again ?

I agree Gaunt. I think we talked about this not too long ago in which Strength should regulate how much weight can be lifted, while Toughness would regulate how far and long that weight can be carried before fatigue sets in. 45kg (99 lbs) is an absurd weight to pack around.

I really dont know how much is realistic...it just sounds too much.

I think I maybe could carry around 15-20kg for a longer time without getting fatigued by it too much. But not really much more.

Ok - I am not the strongest and toughest...but accourding to the current table that would be a 4 :D (2 strength + 2 Toughness)

I seem to be a Grot.

I know that it's not uncommon for some soldiers to carry up to 23kg (50 lbs) on the battlefield. The only instance of carrying 45kg that I can think of was in WW2.

Edited by Elior

I don't think it's that bad. I'd put myself at mid-high 30's in S+T, so by the chart I can carry 36 Kg. Now, at the moment I'm backpacking around, and my main bag is 21 kg, and my extra back is 8 kg, and they are very easy to manage. My job also involves walking around with 30kg bags tied to me all day, up mountains and through forests.
Good straps make it very easy to shift large weights around.

I think things go a bit wonky after 12. Where everything starts jumping by 100's of kilograms. But this is just a flaw of the D100 system that can't be avoided. Big big monsters can and should be that powerful, but occasionally it makes for weird things, like Space Marines scouts being able to Caber toss a terminator. Or as I once mathed out for fun, a rank 8 Deathwatch marine can pick up an entire Rhino and run around with it. Take that motive system crits!

Having the system be based on S = how much, and T = how long just seems like it would get complicated fast.

All in all, I prefer the "Don't look too closely" approach.
It's fine at low levels, and workable at higher levels. Especially if the GM steps in.
(No picking up Rhinos)

I don't think it's that bad. I'd put myself at mid-high 30's in S+T, so by the chart I can carry 36 Kg. Now, at the moment I'm backpacking around, and my main bag is 21 kg, and my extra back is 8 kg, and they are very easy to manage. My job also involves walking around with 30kg bags tied to me all day, up mountains and through forests.

Good straps make it very easy to shift large weights around.

I think things go a bit wonky after 12. Where everything starts jumping by 100's of kilograms. But this is just a flaw of the D100 system that can't be avoided. Big big monsters can and should be that powerful, but occasionally it makes for weird things, like Space Marines scouts being able to Caber toss a terminator. Or as I once mathed out for fun, a rank 8 Deathwatch marine can pick up an entire Rhino and run around with it. Take that motive system crits!

Having the system be based on S = how much, and T = how long just seems like it would get complicated fast.

All in all, I prefer the "Don't look too closely" approach.

It's fine at low levels, and workable at higher levels. Especially if the GM steps in.

(No picking up Rhinos)

I would think that some objects compared to a large man would just be too bulky to pick up. That is for sure.

I think it it a very important issue to balance out armour and heavy weapon use.

Carry weight should not even be a mechanic. Just say characters can carry any combination of a basic/heavy weapon, a sidearm, a melee weapon, and armor. Keeping track of how much the chrono on your wrist weighs you down is annoying accounting I'm incredulous anyone finds fun.

Carry weight should not even be a mechanic. Just say characters can carry any combination of a basic/heavy weapon, a sidearm, a melee weapon, and armor. Keeping track of how much the chrono on your wrist weighs you down is annoying accounting I'm incredulous anyone finds fun.

This is how I usually do it unless characters try to pack around an insane amount of gear.

There is a need to know how much can be lifted per tier (every 10 points?) of Strength though in my opinion.

Even if you only count the heavy stuff like armour and weapons - it still is an impotant thing to keep in mind.

I really think 1 step down would be better on it - so a current 7 could only carry what a current 6 could - and so on.

Not a big change but enough to make it more realistic.

Yeah but then you need to know precisely how much things weigh so that players know whether they can attempt to lift them. I don't want to run a game where I need to come up with a reasonable weight (especially in metric) for every random thing players use strength for.

There is no reason to list weights for everything, besides it's all variable anyway. A player will know based upon how much they can lift if they have a decent chance to accomplish the task or not and it eliminates the inevitable questions, "Can I lift this? By the way, how much can I lift anyway?".

I did 17 days walking trough mountain terrain (Around 440 km) with 14 Kg backpack and my back was completely destroyed. And I'm not a sedentary man, I do exercice everyday and weight about 74 kg with 1.85m height. 45 kg is A LOT to carry if you're doing anything that is just not walking around. I cannot imagine to run, chase, investigate and infiltrate with 45kg upon me. Madness.

I use to go with "Carry whatever you want that sounds reasonable" approach and ignore that silly table.

Each to their own. I absolutely love minutae and ridiculously overfilled character sheets. I'm still convinced Original DH has the best skill system, with things like Swim.

Same reason I loved money. Managing to squeeze a plethora of items and cool trinkets out of your modest budget. A clever acolyte could make 100 thrones go a loooong way.

Yeah but then you need to know precisely how much things weigh so that players know whether they can attempt to lift them. I don't want to run a game where I need to come up with a reasonable weight (especially in metric) for every random thing players use strength for.

As I said - I dont wanna count the weight of everything.

But if the character wants to wear guard flak and to carry a heavy bolter in addition, I'd like to have a realistic table to consult if this is reasonable for his strength and toughness. Especially if he has the tendency to loot all weapons from enemies corpses ;D

I did 17 days walking trough mountain terrain (Around 440 km) with 14 Kg backpack and my back was completely destroyed. And I'm not a sedentary man, I do exercice everyday and weight about 74 kg with 1.85m height. 45 kg is A LOT to carry if you're doing anything that is just not walking around. I cannot imagine to run, chase, investigate and infiltrate with 45kg upon me. Madness.

I use to go with "Carry whatever you want that sounds reasonable" approach and ignore that silly table.

*lol* indeed.

I once wore a chain armour that had a weight of around 16kg for a whole day - horrible feeling the next day :D

And I'm not even talking of the weapon weight. That's absolutely stupid. A 3 kg sword? What the f*** is that made of? Black hole matter? A claymore was around 120-140 cm long (Long as ****) and used to weight from 2.2 from 2.8. And that's a "great weapon". A Roman gladius was around 1kg or little more at maximum.

Wheigts are just overestimated as hell, as a rule of thumb. And we're not evn counting the advancements in the materials and producing industries.

We don't need weights for stuff as we can easily estimate them as GMs but it would be nice to know how strong a 40 Strength individual really is.

Yeah, I'd agree that tracking equipment weights is not something I'm a fan of. How about instead of weights, every item is classified as 1 (light), 2 (medium), or 3 (heavy). You can carry around a combination equal to your combined toughness and strength bonuses. Yor average schmo can have heavy armor and a single heavy weapon at most. Anything that easily fits in a pocket does not get counted.

When determining what can be lifted, just give a table from 2-20 with narrative descriptions (6 can carry another person, 10 can carry two people, and so on) and slap it on the GM Screen too.

Another approach to get even less numbers (and also further promote scarcity!) is to just say everyone can carry up to 6 points of the combination above of 1, 2, and 3. Bulging biceps increases that and unnatural strength doubles it.

Thats a quite good idea indeed. An abstract solution thats easy to apply.

Yeah, I'd agree that tracking equipment weights is not something I'm a fan of. How about instead of weights, every item is classified as 1 (light), 2 (medium), or 3 (heavy). You can carry around a combination equal to your combined toughness and strength bonuses. Yor average schmo can have heavy armor and a single heavy weapon at most. Anything that easily fits in a pocket does not get counted.

When determining what can be lifted, just give a table from 2-20 with narrative descriptions (6 can carry another person, 10 can carry two people, and so on) and slap it on the GM Screen too.

I like this idea as it simplifies everything and cuts down on any math involved.

Another approach to get even less numbers (and also further promote scarcity!) is to just say everyone can carry up to 6 points of the combination above of 1, 2, and 3. Bulging biceps increases that and unnatural strength doubles it.

This is not a bad idea either except I can already see someone asking, "Why can't I carry more gear than someone with 10 points less in Strength?"

I actually don't think I'd hate that. It's basically what I said but with numbers attached and illustrates pretty well that abstraction can be an improvement. Arguing over exactly how many kgs you've personally schlepped around before feeling fatigued is no way to write rules for a game.

Granted, I'd still probably only ever look at carrying capacity for the guy with a gun for every occasion, but this looks simpler.

I would preferably like to see a simple chart showing a range of weight that each person can lift (like a max lift) in relation to either their Strength Bonus or Overall Strength score. Then we can measure this weight in points like Nimsim suggested.

And the abstract rule could even be easily implemented, without taking any additional space.