Navigate (Warp) Skill

By Elior, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

I noticed that there is no requirement to be a "Navigator" or at least a psyker to have this skill. While not being a game breaking issue, it certainly deviates from the 40K understanding of what a Navigator is and does including the mysteriousness of their "warp eye". Does anyone else have an issue with this?

It could be for short hops without a Nanigator so i'm ok with it.

It could be for short hops without a Nanigator so i'm ok with it.

I like that idea. It would be nice if they added that little bit to make it clear.

Glad you like it. Now we just need to make it so you still need a Nanigator so I can't play a Guardsman who can take a ship into the Eye and live.

I agree that they should also require Navigate (Stellar) and tell exactly how short of a hop through the Warp it is.

Being a serious fluff reader I would stamp my feet and shout "no! Navigators are the only ones who can navigate the warp! End of discussion."

But I'd be stupid for one reason: daemons and, by association, daemon possessed can see the warp.

Now, assuming you don't want your character to be of that unsavoury persuation, I have some ideas how you can justify this to fluff nuts. Of whom I am a one, if a bit more reasonable.

(1) Psyker with divination or temporal psychic powers. Ability to predict the near future or manipulate the warp itself would be needed. Though it would need to be a strong psyker with the ability to avoid going insane or being corrupted beyond redemption.

(2) Technological. Perhaps a special form of psyocculum that can see the shifting tides of the immaterium as though looking through your own eyes. Again, there is a HUGE risk of insanity and corruption but it's something.

(3) The character is a latent psyker. Not a "psyker" in terms of rules, just an uncanny ability to know when "something isn't right". How did he navigate the ship through the warp? "George just lucky I guess."

Just a few ideas. I might have more later. But hope they help to justify what should be a Navigator and Daemon only rule.

I'm sure I've read that Navigators are what alows long warp jumps but you can make short hops without one.

I'm sure I've read that Navigators are what alows long warp jumps but you can make short hops without one.

Rogue Trader is pretty explicit about this IIRC.

Calculated jumps can be performed along known stable warp routes of very short duration (Usually a week or less) if I read rogue trader correctly. This would be absolutely useless to a RT who by definition is going beyond known Warp routes (And charting his own for that matter!). THAT sort of thing would require a Navigator. I believe the fluff mentions that in populated areas like the Calixis sector the Chartist Captains do not always employ Navigators. This would imply some sort of individual to Operate the relevant cogitators and plot the warp course. They would of course be limited to pre plotted warp routes and if something happens and they get blown off course, they are screwed unless they end up in a system they also have a plotted course for. (Which is, to say the least, unlikely!)

You are correct. Rogue Trader (the original one!) Stated that warp jumps of up to about 4-5 light years are possible without a Navigator, and this is apparently fairly normal for chartist ships moving along well-charted warp routes within a sector.

If you want to make a jump of tens, hundreds or even thousands of light years, or are travelling through unknown space, your choices are (a) a navigator, (b) a daemon, artefact or sorceror who can fulfill the same role, or © a gruesome death.

This has (relatively) recently popped up in the Space Marine Battles novel Legion Of The Damned , where an Excoriators strike cruiser is reduced to making its way home via repeated calculated warp jumps, a few light years at a time, after the ship's Navigator went slightly nuts and killed himself.

Agree that could do with being made clearer, though. Certainly a generic dude with Navigate (Warp) isn't going to step into a navigator's unshielded viewing chamber and take over steering the ship without, y'know, insanity and general brain-melting.

You are correct. Rogue Trader (the original one!) Stated that warp jumps of up to about 4-5 light years are possible without a Navigator, and this is apparently fairly normal for chartist ships moving along well-charted warp routes within a sector.

If you want to make a jump of tens, hundreds or even thousands of light years, or are travelling through unknown space, your choices are (a) a navigator, (b) a daemon, artefact or sorceror who can fulfill the same role, or © a gruesome death.

Or D: A weirdboy :D !