Moderation Please

By Niqvah, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

I would like to appeal to FFG for stronger moderation of this forum.

I'm shocked by the aggression being displayed by a minority of users. Frank and open debate is to be encouraged, but the inflammatory language and personal attacks on display here should not be tolerated. They're getting in the way of valuable and interesting discussion.

I've been put off posting by the hostility other people's posts have attracted. If the forum descends into flame wars, there's no hope of getting a balanced and representative view of how the Beta is being received.

I ask the moderators to keep discussions on topic, caution users who are consistently provocative and remove offensive posts.

Seconded. My post was completely hijacked.

I should apologize for my behavior on that night. It is just Kaihlik started up a decent topic and then BAM! People coming in to cry about the old beta being lost and frankly being complete asses. I couldn't resist the urge to fight back. Though at least SublimeShadow is the most reasonable person I seen so far after all the events of last night. Major props to him.

Edited by Snowman0147

In general, I would be inclined to agree, but in practice, this has shown to be a bad idea, because moderation is often ham-fisted in it's application.

As a matter of fact, the forums are actually quite civilized, even if contrarian and vitriolic in nature sometimes. It is very rare that discussions turn into actual flamewars with significant amounts of personal attacks.

I would like to see a ruleset for the forum, though - a lenient, but clear ruleset, at least.

Aside from that, I prefer freedom with a side order of trash-talking to ham-fisted rules-enforcement with a side order of self-entitlement.

I think more moderation would definitely be helpful.

The forums need help to move beyond old beta vs new, to keep things focused on getting the best combination of both rules and to allow people to voice opinions without being attacked.

In a shocking turn of events, I find myself agreeing with Fgdsfg's post. I have little faith any attempt at increasing moderator presence would have a positive effect.

And while we're talking about moderation, can we get a way to disable the stupid swear filter? I'm a grownup and won't run to mommy if someone uses a potty word.

I think more moderation would definitely be helpful.

The forums need help to move beyond old beta vs new, to keep things focused on getting the best combination of both rules and to allow people to voice opinions without being attacked.

In a shocking turn of events, I find myself agreeing with Fgdsfg's post. I have little faith any attempt at increasing moderator presence would have a positive effect.

And while we're talking about moderation, can we get a way to disable the stupid swear filter? I'm a grownup and won't run to mommy if someone uses a potty word.

I realize that there are issues with swearing, a "family friendly" forum and so on and so forth, and that it is very easy to claim that those using profanity is lack of a mixed vocabulary, but honestly, sometimes, there's just no substitute.

I really hate the profanity filter, because the vast majority of times, my use of profanity is not directed at any particular person, but used as an invective or attribute, or part of another word.

I can explain why it's not going anywhere, though; If a profanity filter was selective as to who it applied to, it would involve adding forum functionality. The basic profanity filter on a forum simply edits your post when it contains certain words.

In essence, it's either on or off. There's no middle-ground to allow selection based on settings or preference. It's ****, but what can we do?

Edited by Fgdsfg

i believe you can turn that off somewhere in the settings. I can see swear words just find, otherwise the f-bomb is coming in clearly. o.O

i believe you can turn that off somewhere in the settings. I can see swear words just find, otherwise the f-bomb is coming in clearly. o.O

It had to do with a small meltdown on the DH2 forum, afaik.

Edited by Fgdsfg

Compared to just about every forum I've ever been on this must be the most civilised display of aggression I've ever seen.

Strongly agree with this post! The way people are carrying on is really making me want to have nothing to do with this place.

I agree that this forum would benefit from increased moderation.

In general, I would be inclined to agree, but in practice, this has shown to be a bad idea, because moderation is often ham-fisted in it's application.

As a matter of fact, the forums are actually quite civilized, even if contrarian and vitriolic in nature sometimes. It is very rare that discussions turn into actual flamewars with significant amounts of personal attacks.

I would like to see a ruleset for the forum, though - a lenient, but clear ruleset, at least.

Aside from that, I prefer freedom with a side order of trash-talking to ham-fisted rules-enforcement with a side order of self-entitlement.

What this guy said. We're adults. We should solve out own problems.

Don't worry, the angry folks who're pissed that the original beta is gone will wander off eventually. I wandered off from the last beta shortly after it started because I got tired of hearing so many people rag on Beta 1.0. These guys will ultimately be drowned out by the majority.

Unfortunately the experience of the last Beta is that those who shout loudest and longest, get listened to, vitriolic attacks always helpful it seems. A lot of us liked the old Beta but we didn't shout loud enough it seems, though there were problems that could have been solved. To judge by what happened with the last Beta, if we flood this forum and trash this Beta, then FFG may relent and produce a true new edition, rather than an Only War clone. Trash me if you like, I am expecting it. What happened with the last Beta I am afraid has set the precedent. Expect plenty more attacks, vitriolic or not.

Further moderation would be no help at all, as that would most likely make the place entirely sterile, reflecting only one opinion. If somebody acts like a **** on the forums here they can expect to be called one.

Unfortunately the experience of the last Beta is that those who shout loudest and longest, get listened to, vitriolic attacks always helpful it seems. A lot of us liked the old Beta but we didn't shout loud enough it seems, though there were problems that could have been solved. To judge by what happened with the last Beta, if we flood this forum and trash this Beta, then FFG may relent and produce a true new edition, rather than an Only War clone. Trash me if you like, I am expecting it. What happened with the last Beta I am afraid has set the precedent. Expect plenty more attacks, vitriolic or not.

Further moderation would be no help at all, as that would most likely make the place entirely sterile, reflecting only one opinion. If somebody acts like a **** on the forums here they can expect to be called one.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/94161-your-whining-forced-this-to-be-only-war/

Can you just point me to anyone who made comments like Homunculus in http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/94161-your-whining-forced-this-to-be-only-war/ because while we were pretty vocal there wasn't anything like that. Also I keep hearing this argument that people who disliked the beta just shouted to get there way which is so insulting and untrue. The people who disliked the beta just stopped posting after like 2 weeks. Most haven't even returned. The people who liked the beta won if it was a shouting match so please stop misrepresenting it like this.

Thats not my impression. We will have to disagree on this, as we seem to disagree on most things here. C'est la vie.