How has 'Age of Rebellion' influenced your 'Edge of the Empire' campaigns?

By Shakespearian_Soldier, in General Discussion

Another good topic. This is the kind of stuff that's actually useful to me as GM, unlike the endless debates about a Disney cartoon I'll never even watch. Let's stick to the game , huh?

I think EoE would segue pretty seamlessly into a rebel game, but I'#m keeping mine separate. The characters might bump into each other though. The EoE group lacked a PC with Pilot/Planetary, so I let one player use his new AoR character, who is a hotshot racer, when we ran the Corellian speedbike scenario.

I also plan to have the leader of our AoR team to hire the EoE team to kidnap her possibly-Force-sensitive daughter from the Alliance before she gets enrolled in Project Emergent...

Project Emergent?

And yeah, things seem to be pretty seamless so far. :) I'm tempted to keep the games separate, but given my epic level visions for EotE, it'd be hard to ignore a rulebook tailored toward that massive, era-focusing war.

Project Emergent?

I'll let her tell the story thereof, but it's one of the concepts specific to her Infinities setting, whose point of divergence took place during what would have been Episode III... though, depending on just how far the 'roots' of said POD went, possibly before Episode III as well.

Project Emergent?

I'll let her tell the story thereof, but it's one of the concepts specific to her Infinities setting, whose point of divergence took place during what would have been Episode III... though, depending on just how far the 'roots' of said POD went, possibly before Episode III as well.

Colour me intrigued. :D

I personally believe that the 'true' POD actually predates the prequels simply because of how much laying-of-the-groundwork I believe would have been needed for some of what happened in Maelora's setting, but at latest the " galactically noticeable by anyone who wasn't in on the 'true' machinations " POD was during what would have been Episode III.

I couldn't tell the true story of Project Emergent, much less Maelora's Infinities setting, like she can anyway!

Yes, please. More details!

So it's a GM-designed setting, then, and not some part of the EU that I'm unfamiliar with?

Correct. My understanding is that Project Emergent is a direct result of one of those divergences from canon that forms the overall POD, hence why I can't tell it the way that she can.

Oh, I didn't think anyone else would be interested in my own take on things, but okay, I can put some thoughts down.

Maybe on a separate thread not to derail this one :)

OK cool. But, as Maelora asked, can we stick to the game?

We all have campaign settings that deserve their own threads for the interested, but this thread is about how AoR will affect things in a EotE game. Whereas EotE is all about the PC's personal gain and profit. AoR seems to be introducing the concepts of Duty and by extension personal honor and the willingness to act for things other than the PC's personal bank account. It also follows that it is adding the influence of military structure and events

Along that line, in addition to the question of how do the rules in AoR allow the PC’s to directly influence larger scale battles that occur around them, will there be anything to:

1) Assist the new GM in establishing overall military campaign/operation arcs to be used as background framework to hold the PC missions. Why is the mission critical to the success of Rebel Operations? Without some kind of plausible story, every mission become a generic “critical to the success of Rebel Operations”. And instead of the Players gaining the sense of winning or losing the war, it becomes just a series of missions that can be likened to an EotE campaign where personal gain is everything.

2) Assist the new GM in Assist the new GM in establishing overall military campaign/operation arcs to use for resource allocation against Duty. Sure you have the rating needed to request the support of a cruiser, but there aren’t any in the sector. Once again the GM can just decide by hand-wavium. But in a well written campaign, the PC’s should (especially military based ones that have gained rank) have a general understanding of availability how pressed their sides forces are before they ask. Generally speaking, anyone that has the authority to request a resource also is privy to the intelligence that will tell them if any request would even be entertained.

You note that I keep using the term “New GM”. That is critical. If a new group of people pick up AoR as their first foray into RPG’s there has to be enough support in the Corebook to create and RUN a campaign.

The AoR write-up says that you “take the fight to the oppressive Galactic Empire as cunning spies, cocky pilots, and dedicated soldiers in the Rebel Alliance”. To run a game to be a dedicated soldier or spy takes more to be successful than just tweaking out some character class and a few skill trees. EotE is easy. 90% of the RPG’s consist of PC that steal, cheat, trick or loot their way to prosperity through thievery, smuggling or outright killem all and take their stuff. EotE just replaced mounts with starships and swords with blasters and sprinkled in a healthy helping of the Star Wars space opera setting.

But AoR is adding in the very difficult concept to game of “it’s not about me” against a backdrop of galactic war. If you don’t want to be an agent in the non-personal profit world of espionage or the definitely non-personal profit world of the combat soldier/pilot, sacrificing themselves for the greater ideal, then you are not playing AoR. You are playing EotE using some of the skill trees and rules from AoR.

So the question returns of “just what does AoR have that allows you to simulate/recreate a military campaign setting?” If it doesn’t address the MILITARY aspects of the game, then it really is just a minor supplement for EotE allowing players to be ex-military that are stealing, cheating, tricking or looting their way to personal profit along with the rest.

OK, I’m done. I expect to get a lot of hate posts and such again so I likely will drop back to see if there have been any constructive posts and then wait for another 3-4 months to look again…..

Have fun all.

SSand - seems fair comment. Can't disagree with any of that.

I started another thread for people who wanted to know about my game, or talk about their own alternative campaigns.

>>But AoR is adding in the very difficult concept to game of “it’s not about me” against a backdrop of galactic war. If you don’t want to be an agent in the non-personal profit world of espionage or the definitely non-personal profit world of the combat soldier/pilot, sacrificing themselves for the greater ideal, then you are not playing AoR. You are playing EotE using some of the skill trees and rules from AoR.

Fair comment. But EoE need not be about 'murder hobos', You can run pilots, explorers, Core world colonists, and non-criminal campaigns.

In our own group, most of the PCs are broadly 'good guys'. Chakk is a freedom fighter trying to protect his people. BeeDee is a free-willed, sophisticated droid who wants emancipation for all her brethren. Jo is learning about her Force powers and having fun kicking Imperial ass. Cynn is a smuggler who looks after a gang of orphans at the local spaceport, because of what happened to her family back on Ryloth. (Yes, Red and Reya are 'murder hobos', but most of the party are good guys!)

Likewise, AoR characters can differ wildly. The naive farmboy who signed up to make the galaxy a better place. The hardbitten military veteran who saw his family murdered by the Empire, and now lives only for revenge. The career Alliance soldier who is fanatically loyal and 'Alliance 4 Life'. The former Imperial officer, sickened by what happened to Alderaan. All very different concepts, I think.

Edited by Maelora

SSand - seems fair comment. Can't disagree with any of that.

I started another thread for people who wanted to know about my game, or talk about their own alternative campaigns.

I read back over my post and I feel the need to apologise. I try to not be an A$$hat, but my forum'fu is pretty substandard and an after re-reading my post I seem a bit snipy even to myself and I know what I was meaning. That was not my intent and if you took me as being snippy or anything I apologise...

It's all good, SSand. :) Healthy discussion is encouraged.

It's all good, SSand. :) Healthy discussion is encouraged.

Thanks,

I can get carried away and assume that people are getting what I meant vice what I wrote. And that can be a bad thing

AoR has not bled into my EotE games and is not likely to, other than equipment and ships. My players are not particularly interested in the Rebellion and Empire aspect of Star Wars.

Ironic because if AoR had been released first I very well might have skipped EotE entirely. Certainly when I ran WEG Star Wars in college it was all AoR type gaming and missions for the Alliance.

Ironic because if AoR had been released first I very well might have skipped EotE entirely. Certainly when I ran WEG Star Wars in college it was all AoR type gaming and missions for the Alliance.

While I thought it was weird that the Empire versus Rebels was the second thing out, after thinking about it I found it was surprisingly refreshing to get the Underworld first. It's a woefully under-represented aspect of Star Wars gaming, and a unique start to FFG's take on the game - and it's been a breath of fresh air to my Star Wars muse.

While I thought it was weird that the Empire versus Rebels was the second thing out, after thinking about it I found it was surprisingly refreshing to get the Underworld first. It's a woefully under-represented aspect of Star Wars gaming, and a unique start to FFG's take on the game - and it's been a breath of fresh air to my Star Wars muse.

I have to agree. FFG did the right thing to release EotE first. If FFG had released AoR first, I think that folk would be less inclined to try EotE. Having started with EotE, my players and I have found it to be a lot of fun to play folk living "on the edge".