A Helpful Excel Character sheet for those still interested in the Beta

By TheBeanCounter, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

I suppose this may come too late for some, but I wanted to share this with those of you who might make use of it.

The following is a link to a google document of the below described excel file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_r66y1Y9cg9bF9TNF8tRWFnV0E/edit?usp=sharing

For my group, I made a DH Beta character sheet that automates as much of character generation as I could. The inspiration for the sheet came from the excel sheet FFG produced for DH 1.0/RT/etc.

I have not updated this sheet for the changes in the 3 updates. It should be relatively easy to do, were one so inclined.

It does not rely on macros, so feel free to disable macros if you so please. Everything is run on formulas alone.

Let me know if you have any feedback, I intend to continue running DH 2.0 Beta with my group, and would appreciate any bug fixes/inaccuracies contained within.

Please note that the stat section for character generation relies on the point-buy system. Personally, I dislike RNG and enjoy player choice. Were one so inclined, one could have players roll the dice, as it were, in order to determine starting stats. This will, however, cause the total stat box to be highlighted in red in most cases.

In general, permissible operations are shown my a neutral (white) or green background. Purchasable skills or talents, for example, are highlighted in green. Impermissible operations are highlighted in red in order to give immediate detail as to what is wrong with a character's advancement.

Nice job. Reminds me of an Eclipse Phase character sheet I found a while back. Lots of work involved.

I downloaded this and opened it in Excel. Something's up with your aptitude calculations. I did Voidborn -> Ministorum -> Desperado. BS should be 100xp but is coming out to 150xp. No characteristic advance ever costs 150xp.

Something's up with your aptitude calculations.

This is for the Beta, not for DH.Ow

Something's up with your aptitude calculations.

This is for the Beta, not for DH.Ow

Are you seriously going to be the maximumest autist now? Because nobody is going to take you serious if you're going to be childish and cry " my toys!" .

Like it or not, The Beta is The Beta, and it just entered 2.0. Misconstruing or being wilfully obtuse and tryhard isn't going to do anything any favours.

Yeah you posted this hours after the new version came out. Forgive me for thinking it would be made for the up-to-date rules. You could be clear that this is for the original beta.

Also using 'Ow' instead of 'OW' really threw me off.

Yeah you posted this hours after the new version came out. You could be clear that this is for the original beta.

Either you have no idea how time-intensive such a project is, or you are being intentionally dense.

I have not updated this sheet for the changes in the 3 updates. It should be relatively easy to do, were one so inclined.

Furthermore, I am not certain how I could have been more clear.

Are you seriously going to be the maximumest autist now? Because nobody is going to take you serious if you're going to be childish and cry " my toys!" .

Like it or not, The Beta is The Beta, and it just entered 2.0. Misconstruing or being wilfully obtuse and tryhard isn't going to do anything any favours.

Did I say you cannot play DH.OW? You're welcome to. Feel free to shill out more cash for a reprint. I could not care less. I, however, intend to try to use a system that I think works better, and I am not the only one who wishes to do so. This tool is designed for DMs who want tools to make an innovative system easier to use, and easier for players to move into. Feel free to ignore it. Do not, however, feel free to insult DMs who are willing to put in some work to use a new and interesting system. Your inability to adapt is not a problem originating from me, and your attitude is exceedingly useless.

Edited by TheBeanCounter

Yeah you posted this hours after the new version came out. You could be clear that this is for the original beta.

Either you have no idea how time-intensive such a project is, or you are being intentionally dense.

A spreadsheet being time intensive to make doesn't preclude you from communicating clearly in the forum post discussing it. Was writing the thread title or original post a large undertaking? No, or at least it shouldn't have been.

Seriously, that isn't a big ask, and doesn't really have anything to do with your poorly expressed distaste for people who have different views on game design.

Edited by LGD

Was writing the thread title or original post a large undertaking? No, or at least it shouldn't have been.

"I have not updated this sheet for the changes in the 3 updates. It should be relatively easy to do, were one so inclined."

Furthermore, I am not certain how I could have been more clear.

Still not certain how this was unclear.

You seem to suffer from cognitive issues. Seek help.

In case you're still wondering; it's the title.

To add to that, for beancounter. The new beta just came out. It is literally the main subject of the entire forum right now. Your title and your post did not explicitly say anything about this being for the OLD version. People generally skim posts, and people are going under the assumption that your post in the forum for the new beta will be about the new beta. If you don't explicitly say it, people will read the line about "the three updates" and their brain will tell them that they misread that or ignore it because reading comprehension works on context.

Also, it sounds like you did put a lot of work into this, which is nice, but the old beta is going to be a REALLY niche system. I put a lot of time into analyzing the numbers of the old beta and I'm kind of miffed that all that time basically went to waste. But, you know, it's just a game. Have fun with your table, and maybe some other people will like it too. Not much more to hope for, though.

Your title and your post did not explicitly say anything about this being for the OLD version.

not explicitly say anything

say anything

I have not updated this sheet

not updated this sheet

not updated

I hope one of those is short enough for your reading comprehension. I cannot make it any easier on you.

You seem to suffer from cognitive issues. Seek help.

In case you're still wondering; it's the title.

You're right, I should not have expected a part of this community to be capable of reading and understanding a short informative post. My cogitator is clearly too heavy into optimism. I should get that fixed.

Fortunately, though, I don't expect that members of this community who cannot read a relatively straight-forward post would be able to put numbers in excel boxes, so as such it should be relatively evident that this project was not for them.

Enjoy your basement.

Dude, you're being kind of a d*ck.

And that's coming from me.

After being personally insulted for providing a resource to the community, tact is not of the highest importance to me.

That wasn't an explicit statement. Explicit is "this is for the old beta". Implicit is the implication (I have not updated this > this is for the old beta) that it is for the old beta. Explicit means flat out stating it. I was nice enough to break it down why people would be confused (because context/expectations are big parts of reading comprehension). I don't think anyone should really be mad at you for not being explicit; I'm just explaining why normal intelligent people would not realize what you were saying. There's no inherent blame to it, just the reality of how the mind works.

Edit: that second to last statement not necessarily being inclusive of everyone who posted in this thread.

Edited by Nimsim

cps, what is this?

I've given you Likes twice today! I must be sick.

I know. It feels weird.

I know. It feels weird.

You know what? We both have incredibly smug avatars that reek of superiority.

I kinda like that.