Wild West-Themed LCG - Would You Play?

By CowboyHatValor, in Living Card Games

Just as the title asked, whether original or through some acquisition of an old west license, would you play a western-themed LCG?

I play Netrunner and Star Wars, and while the mechanics are great and fluid for both games, I confess the theme is what originally drew me to both. In an industry saturated with fantasy and sci-fi, do you think an exclusively western-styled (six-shooters, gangs, train robberies, sheriffs, etc.) game with solid mechanics would do well?

Well now that I pay attention, I see the requests for a Doomtown LCG. I guess I'm not the only one interested!

I would love an old-west mechanic game, be it based on alternate reality like Doomtown or more historically based. The Old West is my #1 Genre, and as much fun as I have playing Lord of the Rings, Netrunner, Star Wars and Call of Cthulhu LCGs, I would LOVE to see what FFG could do with the Old West.

I would play one assuming I enjoyed the card art and gameplay.

Yee-haw!

The problem is that Wild West isn't very popular. I don't know how low it ranks, but I would guess it's well below fantasy and SF. That's why Deadlands (and, by extension, Doomtown) has all those fantasy elements. If you want to make something sell better, add fantasy. Compare the number of Shadowrun players to the number of Cyberpunk 2020 players.

If it's good I'd play it, but it would be despite the theme rather than because of it. Western just isn't that appealing to me. It's better if you do Weird West like Doomtown, but I still think you can do better with another theme.

No

I'd like a wild West LCG if it was something completely new. Like you used identities like in Netrunner, and you had to gun fight and it had cover to hide behin or really anything that isn't a rehash of other games but now with cowboys.

I'd love to see a Dark Tower lcg, based on the series of the same name by Stephen King. It has prominent western themes but also a lot of fantasy and sci-fi into the mix. Purely on a world-building basis it's an extremely interesting series, also untouched so far by most media (there are some Dark Tower comics by Marvel which I recommend).

Just found out about this - might be getting my wish for a Doomtown LCG-style game - Base Set coming August 2014 - expect details on Tuesday when Alderac presents at GAMA.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/

Looking forward to it. This could easily be HUGE.

Saw an advertisement for it in the GAMA paperwork, and Todd Rowland just gave a quick rundown of some information on the Doomtown CCG facebook group. So excited!!!

Yep, saw that post. Hoping for even more information tomorrow at their GAMA presentation.

not likely

No, I don't like this theme.

Old West doesn't appeal to me, I've never been a fan of Western movies or TV shows.

But, adding steampunk, undead, monsters, and several flavors of magic (Hucksters, Spirits, Miracles) to me changes the theme to something more interesting.

On the other hand, I'm also hoping that this will do well enough that they will reboot 7th Sea next. A pirate theme would suit me even better, and that setting also includes undead and multiple flavors of magic to add more variety.

In refetence to the post above this one: Weird West is definitely my bag. If a Deadlands LCG were released I'd buy up on it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Count Bradric

Well now that I pay attention, I see the requests for a Doomtown LCG. I guess I'm not the only one interested!

AEG recently came out with DoomTown reloaded.