Campaign Idea

By Brother Victus, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

I am to run a Deathwatch campaign in the next month and I've got a lot of ideas for an adventure, but I wanted some input and feedback on the ideas. Some of the ideas are influenced or concocted from some of the things within the Core Rulebook, so if some of the parts look familiar that's probably why.

So the story starts out with the Battle Brothers being brought together for a meeting with Watch Captain Morgan, a fierce old Storm Warden, aboard a ship (which I haven't named yet). The brothers haven't had time to be formally sworn in on Erioch in front of the Omega Vault, due to the urgency of their mission and the speed with which they were recruited. They are to reestablish communications aboard a Watch Station which has not been contacted for almost a century. It is orbiting a Tau controlled world that is being attacked by the Tyranids.

After preparing for the mission the Kill Team is dropped onto the Watch Station and they are to walk across it and fight off the Tau that are trying to breach the one and only entrance to the station. This should be a fun Zero Gravity fight where Repair Cement must be utilized, lest the Kill Team discovers just how painful exposure to the vacuum can be. After the fight which should be challenging but not impossible, the Kill Team should be able to enter the Station, having proper authorization and codes to enter.

Surprisingly they are greeted by Brother Horik, a Space Wolf who has apparently been maintaining the Station for nearly a century. He says that all the servitors and tech has decayed and he has not been able to reestablish communications. He invites them to a feast to celebrate the arrival of fellow Deathwatch members. If they refuse, then he leads them into a trap, where they are knocked out by some means, maybe a knockout gas tailored to Space Marine physiology. If they do not refuse then the food does the same thing, and they all begin to gain levels of fatigue until they pass out.

While knocked out, they have visions where their faith is tested and they must overcome challenges that are symbolic of Chaos. The more challenges they fail, the more insanity points they gain when they awake. If they pass all the challenges they have succeeded in the eyes of the emperor and gain a spiritual reward that is scaled to the difficulty of the challenges. They awake in prison cells, maintained by servitors who do not seem suited to the purpose. Through some interaction skills, they will manage to break free from the cells and retrieve their equipment.

Once they go to confront Horik, a boss fight ensues along with an explanation of his side of the story. After they defeat him, he acrobatically jumps back away from them and begins to transform into a Wulfen. Boss fight round two, and then they should proceed to complete their mission and reestablish communication with Watch Captain Morgan. It is not that hard to reestablish because it looks like it was purposefully deactivated by somebody, rather than having decayed. As they restart the systems, a servitor comes to life and urgently tells the kill team to retrieve a key from deep within the Station while there is still time. The servitor immediately dies after giving them the message, but the systems are restarted and they can talk to Watch Captain Morgan.

Watch Captain Morgan tells them that after they restarted the systems, the Tau managed to open the doors and are starting to pour into the station. He says that they will have to hold off the Tau until reinforcements can arrive. If they mention the key, he will tell them that is also a priority. He can't tell them why, but they must retrieve the key. At this point they must make choices and prioritize their objectives. However they go about it, the holding off the Tau is fairly simple. They fight off waves of Tau until Captain Morgan emerges killing off the last few Tau in the doorway. He congratulates them, and if he knows about it, asks about the key.

Meanwhile, the part of the group who had to retrieve the key has to fight some fairly easy Chaos down in the depths of the Station, until they come upon a holy fountain. Through some means which has not been determined yet, they decide to drink from the fountain. Maybe a message from the Emperor in some sort of form compels them to drink. After they drink they each gain a vision of the Omega symbol. They are forced to leave and go back up to the rest of the Kill Team.

At the mission's conclusion the Kill Team takes their oaths in front of the Omega Vault and at the end of the ceremony, the Battle Brothers who drank from the fountain all collapse, the image of the Omega symbol burning in their heads. At the same time the Omega Vault opens…….

Thanks for reading. Feel free to use as much of this as you want. Feedback is welcome, as it will help me figure out the problems before I run the campaign. Also, yes Watch Captain Morgan's name is a joke. I'm not sure if that's gonna be his name or not, but it was the first thing that popped into my head and the names aren't set in stone yet.

Only main concerns are the railroadiness of passing out (SMs are SUPER resilient to poison, and players tend to not like that kind of railroading), and doling out lots of IP very early on in the game.

Also 4-5 on one for your boss fights is going to be super easy for the squad, given Squad Modes. I suggest throwing in some trash Hordes/elites just to even the odds and provide a challenge.

The old beating a boss who then dances away and 'upgrades' is really annoying for PCs in my experience as someone who has put these types of characters into their games and also played agaisnt them as a PC. It just feels contrived. You would be better off having the Space Wolf having a bodyguard that they have to defeat while he turns into a Wulfen. Same effect but doesn't feel like the first fight was a waste of time.

Captain Morgan. Lol.

Captain Morgan. Lol.

LOL! didn't realise that till you pointed that out XD

He has a slight drinking problem.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

Battle brothers...

Jack Daniels. Jim Beam. Johnny Walker....LOL

awesome.

great ideas brother!!!

This sounds really good, but what's the purpose of the Tyranids? I dont know if you've read the 5th edition Tyranid codex but in it they talk about how extremely scared the Tau are concerning Tyranids. Also generally the more factions you throw in a game the harder it is to keep track of what the kill team is fighting, so you might want to trim out the nids unless you have plans for the kill team to return to this watch station.