Crash Survival Kit as Discount, or Fluff?

By RedfordBlade, in General Discussion

Hello, FFG Forums. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking long enough to know how helpful you all are.

A friend of mine is running a game using the AoR Beta, and let me look through his book to make my character. While looking at equipment, I noticed that the Crash Survival Kit, which costs 300 credits, seems to be the best deal in the game. Its entry on pg. 128 says it typically contains:

Thermal Cloak (200c)

Survival Knife (25c?)

Distress Beacon (?)

Emergency Comlink 2x (50c?)

Spool of Wire, Ration Bars, Water Jug w/ Filter, 50m Line (?)

Medpac (400c)

Respirators 2x (50c)

Glow Rod (10c)

Field Rations 10x (50c)

Emergency Flare Gun (?)

Just going by estimates for some of this stuff, the total comes out to over 700 credits' worth of gear. As a player, this is great, especially as our first mission will be to a frigid backwater planet. But my GM suggested I ask the Forum's opinions on if this was intended to be a discount on basic survival gear, if the list is just fluff and the Survival Kit is the Survival skill's version of a Tool Kit, or something else entirely.

So, what do you think?

Edited by RedfordBlade

I'm pretty sure its just an emergency medpac (100 credits), but otherwise you're correct.

Its an emergency medpac, not a full medpac.

Its a lot of kit, but its kit that is all random handy bits, not unbalancing super weapons.

I'd tell your gm to allow it unless the campaign requires you to start totally empty handed or something.

Ah, I'd read "basic Medpac" as "standard," instead of "just the basics." That definitely brings the discount to a sane level.

Thanks for your speedy help!

I also wouldn't count the survival knife as being quite the same as a combat knife; it's probably more of an improvised weapon.

But yeah, it's a nice package deal... with an Encumbrance Value of 5. It's pretty heavy, as your average PC is typically going to have an Encumbrance Threshold of 7 (Base 5 plus Brawn 2). A basic blaster pistol is 1 Encumbrance by itself, so between those two items a PC is only going to be 1 point away from hitting their Encumbrance Threshold. And the majority of what's in the kit is situational in how useful it is, to the point it'd probably be simpler to just buy the emergency medpac and comlink on their own, saving a few credits and a bunch of Encumbrance.

You could have fun imposing threats when using the cheaply made survival pack items. The thermal cloak's flimsy material could easily get torn when stranded in arctic conditions. A battery in the distreass beacon, comlink, or glow road could quickly go dead. One of the two respirators might have a stuck filter requiring maintenance. The flare gun could fire and explode at only 10' altitude like an old firework. :)

I would probably rule that piece for piece each item in the kit is subpar to an equivalent item purchased as a single item. It is a bare minimum emergency kit designed to last you a couple of weeks at the most while the rescue ships find you.

Perhaps have the stuff take damage more easily on threats or despairs?

Edit: what Sturn said.

Edited by bladerunner_35

I also wouldn't count the survival knife as being quite the same as a combat knife; it's probably more of an improvised weapon.

I agree. I only listed the price as 25 credits because that seemed closest value, combat knife vs. multitool.

A basic blaster pistol is 1 Encumbrance by itself, so between those two items a PC is only going to be 1 point away from hitting their Encumbrance Threshold. And the majority of what's in the kit is situational in how useful it is, to the point it'd probably be simpler to just buy the emergency medpac and comlink on their own, saving a few credits and a bunch of Encumbrance.

Couldn't a backpack offset that by 4 points?

Also, while I agree most of those items are not vital on many inhabited worlds/stations/ships, the star system my GM has created definitely makes respirators and thermal cloaks a must-have.

You could have fun imposing threats when using the cheaply made survival pack items. The thermal cloak's flimsy material could easily get torn when stranded in arctic conditions. A battery in the distreass beacon, comlink, or glow road could quickly go dead. One of the two respirators might have a stuck filter requiring maintenance. The flare gun could fire and explode at only 10' altitude like an old firework. :)

I would probably rule that piece for piece each item in the kit is subpar to an equivalent item purchased as a single item. It is a bare minimum emergency kit designed to last you a couple of weeks at the most while the rescue ships find you.

Perhaps have the stuff take damage more easily on threats or despairs?

I like these ideas. Maybe the rations are particularly bland, or the comlinks are not encrypted (because they are for emergencies only) and give Boost dice to anyone trying to listen in.

Backpack, utility belt, and combat webbing are all cheap enough that I've seen most players buy at least the first 2, netting +5 Encumbrance. Not too shabby for anyone.

Backpack, utility belt, and combat webbing are all cheap enough that I've seen most players buy at least the first 2, netting +5 Encumbrance. Not too shabby for anyone.

I've seen it too. I've also had a scene where backpacks we're not allowed in a store... PCs being who they are, they immediately wanted to check Encumbrance to see if they could still carry everything without the packs. :rolleyes:

I agree most of those items are not vital on many inhabited worlds/stations/ships, the star system my GM has created definitely makes respirators and thermal cloaks a must-have.

But thanks