Need inspiration for a Lewis & Clark type adventure

By Furlong Doug, in WFRP Gamemasters

Putting together a campaign for a party to move outside the Empire and see some other sights.

Could use some inspiration, but more importantly - are there any other adventure/campaign in other systems you could suggest I look into.

I enjoy creating storyline, but frankly often borrow heavily from other material. Plan on doing that the same here.

We'll begin by the party being led by a PC of noble birth trying to raise money for the expedition. Each session will be a journal entry and hopefully begin and end during that session. Success or failure will then determine how well the party does moving forward.

At this point, I haven't much else, but I see a few sessions just getting things together before boarding any ship. Looking at Lustria as a destination. Most of the players are familiar with the Empire, so going elsewhere will be completely new to them.

Again, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This sounds awesome. But, I'm a bit biased since I grew up along the Lewis & Clark trail along a historic stop.

I think just reading up on the historic expedition and translating will give you lots of inspiration:

Replace the dog sidekick with a trusty Astromech.

I know this sounds horribly non-PC, but the historic expedition included a slave that was known for his size and strength that earned his freedom. Converting to the Star Wars universe, this could be a Wookie that escaped from an Imperial or Trandoshan slave camp as a stowaway on the expedition. Sorry if this offends anyone, I don't mean it to.

The historic expediton had a very advanced (for it's time) prototype rifle. The expedition craft is a scout prototype being tested? It could have cool new gadgets combined with prototype problems such as the hyperdrive going out at the wrong time.

I would consider the "indians" being a never before discovered human-like race. Since you would want them to be encountered more then once, perhaps they are the descendants of a once star traveling culture and the expedition will have a side mission of figuring out what happened to them.

Someone on board has an alterior motive. He's an Imperial agent (?) sent to gather information to see if the new race is worth gathering up as slave soldiers for the Empire.

An eccentric archaelogist who happens to know something already about the undiscovered race. He is along to prove his theories and could be a source of information.

If the "indians" are very human-like, perhaps one of the expedition members is posing as a standard human but is actually indian. She is along to prevent contact and/or protect her people. If not, you could pick up such a guide along the way (Sacagawea).

There's an D&D/Pathfinder adventure based on "outpost at the end/beyond edge" of civilization in jungle.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy82qf/discuss?GameMastery-Module-W2-River-into-Darkness

That would take some work but could be basis for thinking about something in Southlands or Lustria. I think Southlands is actually better as you get more of a traditional mix of humans, greenskins, and lizard men - it's more Edgar Rice Burroughs sort of vibe friendly. Lustria is more "designed to kill you" (literally in the fluff, the slann warped all the flora/fauna as part of their defences).

Thanks very much! Most helpful.

Sturn - you're suggestions are in the wrong system! Regardless, your advice helpful. I did read some of the L&C journal entries, but I need a top line storyline. I've been struggling to "why" folks are going. I really like the idea of a "indian" scout along the way. Maybe a chaos taint, or a dark elf looking for a sacrifice.

I'm starting this adventure in Ubersreik. So the party still has decide whether to make the journey over land, or grab a ship at Marienburg.

Frankly, I haven't a clue. And in fact, they may never make it out of the Empire!

Thanks very much! Most helpful.

Sturn - you're suggestions are in the wrong system! Regardless, your advice helpful. I did read some of the L&C journal entries, but I need a top line storyline. I've been struggling to "why" folks are going. I really like the idea of a "indian" scout along the way. Maybe a chaos taint, or a dark elf looking for a sacrifice.

I'm starting this adventure in Ubersreik. So the party still has decide whether to make the journey over land, or grab a ship at Marienburg.

Frankly, I haven't a clue. And in fact, they may never make it out of the Empire!

LOL holy crap. I was browsing both the Star Wars and Warhammer systems at the same time and didn't notice which I was in. :) "Empire" means something completely different over at the Star Wars forums.

I guess most of it can translate a step further anyway.

Edited by Sturn