Ork meat

By lord inquisitor Iannise, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I'm running a campaign where my acolytes are ship wrecked on a ork infested world

now here my question, can humans eat ork meat with out adverse affects?

I'm running a campaign where my acolytes are ship wrecked on a ork infested world

What do you mean by "ork meat" ? :huh:

What do you mean by "ork meat" ? :huh:

I'm guessing he means butchered Ork bodies. I don't think there would be a problem, but if you are eeeeeeeeeeeevil, you could ask your players to make Toughness tests after every meal, occasionally muttering "oh my..." under your breath at the results... ;)

Somehow the topic made me think of this:

quorn-vegan-package-500x276.jpg

:P

I would say that yes, you can eat them, but it's probably not very healthy. I imagine that they would taste like sweat and soy proteins.

So..

Like soy proteins, I guess.

Just in case you didn't know, Orks are actually fungi and reproduce by spores.

Just in case you didn't know, Orks are actually fungi and reproduce by spores.

Wrong!

Orks are animals, they possess an additional artificial fungal DNA strand. as such they are made of meat inthe traditional sense although it hasbeen noted that Ork muscle density is lower than that of a human, however the amountof extra muscle mass and the ability to continue growing throughout their lifetime offsets this.

In short ork flesh would be suprisingly tender, with lots of algae-rich blood and chloropyhl coursing through it to ensure it tased like swamp water. As to what iswould do to a human gastronomically I can`T saw but I don`t imagine that it`d do much good as Orks are apex predators and would provide little in the way of energy.

Thanks for all the reply's guy, all just have the crew make an ordinary +10 Toughness test to keep cooked ork down, a +20 test if they been there a week or two, then a +30 if someone gets the cooking skill sound good?

I hate the "Orks are fungi" meme that has spread through the 40K fanbase. There is no indication of this in the source material.

DITTO "orks make things work through sheer magic belief." Grrr.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

I hate the "Orks are fungi" meme that has spread through the 40K fanbase. There is no indication of this in the source material.

-But 'red ones' really do go 'fasta'! :P

They go slightly fasta, and actually have engines in them. :)

Sorry, but I don't understand why acolytes would eat ork's meat at all ?

Themy might be hungry. Very hungry.

Sorry, but I don't understand why acolytes would eat ork's meat at all ?

Really? You can't understand why Acolytes would eat ork's meat if they had to?

They are on a frozen Tundra / desert war world fighting orks and have run out of starch rations. Just off the top of my head.

This reminds me of an amusing thread that appeared in the Deathwatch Forums a while back. Space Marines can temporarily absorb memories from a person by eating some of their flesh; one GM was having a problem with his players automatically eating every NPC they came across , 'just in case' any of them had information useful to the mission! :blink:

The proposed solution to this problem was to start assigning Corruption Points for engaging in excessive cannibalism...

This reminds me of an amusing thread that appeared in the Deathwatch Forums a while back. Space Marines can temporarily absorb memories from a person by eating some of their flesh; one GM was having a problem with his players automatically eating every NPC they came across , 'just in case' any of them had information useful to the mission! :blink:

The proposed solution to this problem was to start assigning Corruption Points for engaging in excessive cannibalism...

Well to be honest though.. ork meat wouldn't be as much cannibalism as it would be a nice mushroom stew .

This practice was abhorrent to my Black Templar, he would never chomp down on a xenos, mutant or even a heretic, lest he absorb their ways by accident. very conservative.

It's an oversimplification, but Codex fluff actually does mention "fungal and algal strains in their genetic make-up", and goes so far as to mention that their green colouration stems from algae, or that Ork spores are fungal in nature and can even grow into simple fungi if the environment is not suitable to have them grow into actual Orks.

The so-called Waaagh!-field is a more tricky topic. I've taken a stroll through the Codex and the TT rulebooks, but could indeed not locate a specific mention of Orks making their gear work by sheer power of belief. It may indeed seem as if this is just one of the many "urban legends" within the community - personal opinion that, for whatever reason, has become so widely accepted that it is nowadays often presented as universal fact, just like with the myth about 40k canon, the oft-exaggerated body height of the Space Marines, or the Adeptus Mechanicus merely being an ally and an equal partner of the Imperium rather than a fully integrated part of it, to name just a few.

I confess I simply "adopted" this opinion about how Ork technology works as well just because everyone said so, so I guess I ought to thank you for calling this to my attention. ;)

It should be pointed out, however, that this interpretation is not entirely baseless. Both the Codex as well as the 6E rulebook mention Orks as a species being psychically active, emanating "mental energies" that act as a psychic beacon for other Orks (quite similar to how Genestealer Cults call for Tyranid Hive Fleets), and culminating in Weirdboyz acting as a focus point for this energy, usually releasing it in the form of devastatingly destructive blasts.

Both the Codex as well as the rulebook feature fluff blurbs about this species' technology, and whilst both sources explain at length that the nature of "Ork Teknology" is anarchic and sturdy, it does not mention psychic energy with a single word.

So, I would say that Ork tech working due to psychic energy is a possible interpretation (especially in light of Red Paintjobs, whose fluff does not mention different engines) - but make a point of how the original material actually leaves this open rather than outright supporting it. :)

As for Ork meat ... yuck. My own characters would probably rather start eating their clothes before resorting to such measures. Especially if the Codex is to be believed about the smell. :P

In fact, I can't see, in what lord inquisitor Iannise wrote, why Acolytes would have to eat Ork's meat.

In fact, I can't see, in what lord inquisitor Iannise wrote, why Acolytes would have to eat Ork's meat.

Because.. they have to? Humans have to eat. Sometimes, we eat eachother if we have to. Really, I'm.. I'm not seeing how this could be a questionmark. Are you being deliberately obtuse, or am I missing something?

Because.. they have to? Humans have to eat. Sometimes, we eat eachother if we have to. Really, I'm.. I'm not seeing how this could be a questionmark. Are you being deliberately obtuse, or am I missing something?

Of course Humans have to eat to survive !

But, what, in lord inquisitor Iannise's case, does explain why they must do this ?

As yous wrote, they can kill and eat each other too, for example.

We don't know either if they are in such a urge.

I am just asking for more context to be sure answering right to lord inquisitor Iannise's expectations.

Of course Humans have to eat to survive !

But, what, in lord inquisitor Iannise's case, does explain why they must do this ?

As yous wrote, they can kill and eat each other too, for example.

We don't know either if they are in such a urge.

I am just asking for more context to be sure answering right to lord inquisitor Iannise's expectations.

I apologias in Adventist for for my terrible spelling and or punctuation, it's 2 A.M. so bear with me here.

If more contexts is is needed they jettisoned an escape pod over an ork infested ice world as a rather large space engagement is being fought over head. The acolytes have 3 main objectives 1. get off the planet 2. fined other the other surviving crew if any and 3 get to the habitable forest ring at the equator.

The average day in the northern reign is about 10 degrees F nights get as low as -45 and tend to hoover around -25 but this is the the planets summer time. they do have survive suits with built in flak armor but they have to make damage check every time they get hit to represent a breech in the suit.

They i asked this question because the guys just ran out of corps starch rashness and the adept who as FL xenos asked if they could eat ork meat i said i didn't know so we just said they still head some corps starch till the end of the night. then i made this forum the end if any more details are needed just ask. :)

Sounds like a cool scenario!

Where there are Orks, there are many more squigs. Wouldn't it make more sense to eat them?