Pick up and go if used to Arkham Horror?

By Orange Chef, in General Discussion

Hey all,

From what i can see from gameplay video, it seems to be the same base concept, just some minor tweaks and a few other slightly different items. Seems quite scalable in difficulty. Even the rulebook is quite straight forward to pick up and go... i wonder how Hardcore AH players will encounter this tangent within the same universe....?

From any whom have played is the flow of the game similar? Did prior AH exp. benefit you?

If you've played AH, then EH will be a doddle to pick up.

Agreed - but when you play try to remember that you aren't playing Arkham Horror v2, but a different game and that some Arkham Horror "givens" simply do not hold when playing Eldritch Horror.

The flow of EH is similar to AH, but as mccrispy says it's not the same. It's both appropriate, and ironic, to say that 'a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing' and when I started playing EH I tried to relate it too much to the AH rules which actually led to confusion for me. :)

If anything, try to 'forget' the AH rules and just think of EH as a spiritual 'successor' (that's probably the wrong word actually) rather than AH v2. If you found AH easy to learn and enjoy the gaming experience in it, then I believe you will get the same enjoyment from EH - I know I do.

Its not AH 2.0 (or actually it would be 3.0 since AH first came out in the 90's)...the game flows much the same way but the rules are very different and none of the strategy you may have elaborated in AH will work on EH

There are a few different gameplay mechanics, such as the way spells and conditions works and how you go about getting getting gear (since there is no more money resource) and AO combat, but a lot of the core rules of AH are still present. The learning curve from AH to EH isn't too steep, in fact its even more streamlined.

Edited by C2K