Combat Modifiers

By HashKey64, in WFRP Rules Questions

Have anyone created a list of Combat Modifers (adds to Dice Pools) for different situations?

I you have - would you like to share?

I need some ideas - especially for shooting into an engagement and attacking targets that are down. I don't wanna put bias into my decisions - for exampel so shooting don't get a strong advantage over melee, armor vs non-armor, magic vs martial combat and so on...

Good question:

Ranged: medium, long, extreme; one purple each. Shooting into melee is one more purple.

You can see my house rules in my sig for PRONE.

Otherwise, I try to keep the modifiers to a minimum and just wing them as we go. Bonus white/penalty black are really the only things I add and only situationally. Its taken a long time to get away from the D&D-style that I was trained on all these years with petty modifiers for every little thing (part of the reason I ditched 4e D&D).

Good question:

Ranged: medium, long, extreme; one purple each. Shooting into melee is one more purple.

You can see my house rules in my sig for PRONE.

Otherwise, I try to keep the modifiers to a minimum and just wing them as we go. Bonus white/penalty black are really the only things I add and only situationally. Its taken a long time to get away from the D&D-style that I was trained on all these years with petty modifiers for every little thing (part of the reason I ditched 4e D&D).

Nice to see that you have your house rules in your signature. :)

And yes, your modifiers seems well balanced - I'm gonna copy some of them.

You are a bit harsh towards missile users. Have shooters been overpowered in your campaign?

Edited by HashKey64

No, they haven't been all that overpowered. I just adopted the star wars ranged modifiers.

If you wanted fewer chaos stars, maybe do 2 misfortune dice instead for each band.

jh

Does shooting into melee add a challenge die per RAW? Tried looking it up yesterday, but couldn't find it.

No. There is only that "general guidelines" page. I would go with 1 purple, maybe more if the opponent was "small" and your allies were bigger than it.

jh

It's pretty darned rare that I go above +1 black for any single factor/situation/modifier. When I do go above that, it's more likely to be +2 black than +1 purple.

Three main reasons:

1. To keep the Active Defenses (especially the Improved ones) from being irrelevant or washed out. Until the characters are Epic, the best they can get from dodging or parrying is +1 purple. If a common situational modifier is +2 purple or better, than there's no point in spending XP on the defenses. (On a similar note, the best armor and shield combo tops out at +3 defense.)
  2. High success rates keeps fights short, and makes them challenging. I fully expect my party to drop 2-3 NPCs (or 6-12 henchmen) per round, but at great danger to themselves. The fight generally ends in the 3rd turn, usually with at least 1 PC on the verge of being KO'd. Sufficiently dark and bloody, without tying up the table too long.
  3. I like chaos stars to be rare but potent. Too many purples change the tone from "grimdark" to "slapstick". Think about all the location cards along the lines of "Chaos Star: Fall off the dock. End your turn." With 1 purple on the attack, something goes disastrously wrong 12.5% of the time, so about once per round somebody gets a chaos star. But if you bump that up to 4 purples via various modifiers, you're looking at a 41% chance per attack of getting a star.

A tangent about firing into melee: I've done a little bit of sword-fighting, and it seems to me that "friendly fire" is not entirely limited to ranged weapons. It's possible to get in the way of friendly blades. RPG rules love to apply penalties when you shoot an arrow at the same target your buddy is swinging a sword at. I don't think I've ever seen one penalize you for swinging a sword at the same target your buddy is trying to swing a sword at. That always strikes me as strange.

another reason for adding misfortune dice instead of challenge dice:

star wars purple D8 difficulty dice only results in potential failure and threat...no dispair here. I am not that familiar with the star wars game but isnt threat a bit like bane and dispair like chaos star?

warhammer D8 purples are far worse ...with potential chaos stars.

as such the best warhammer equivalent of the starwars purple in combat would probably be the black misfortune die?

so wy not go for following range moddifiers:

short - 1 purple

medium - 1 purple, 1 misfortune

long - 1 purple, 2 misfortune

extreme - 1 purple, 3 misfortune

the absence of any possitive effects on warhammer D6 visavis star wars purple D8 should give the grittyness we al long for :)

one might ask if it would be usefull to adopt this conversion also outside of combat

1. I like chaos stars to be rare but potent. Too many purples change the tone from "grimdark" to "slapstick". Think about all the location cards along the lines of "Chaos Star: Fall off the dock. End your turn." With 1 purple on the attack, something goes disastrously wrong 12.5% of the time, so about once per round somebody gets a chaos star. But if you bump that up to 4 purples via various modifiers, you're looking at a 41% chance per attack of getting a star.

I think this is a great statement. Rather than exchange 2 black dice per purple, I just let players cancel chaos stars with 2 boons.

jh

Actions:

Diff

Modifier

Preforme Stunt

+

Easy

Meele Strike

+

Easy

Ranged Shot

+

Easy

Cast/Pray

Simple

Move (3*man)

+

Easy

1-3 actions, one per success, move mod apply to all test

Action Modifiers:

Cost

Modifier

Shooting into a meele

+ +

@ per target between

Shooting from a meele

+ +

@ if under attack

Delay Action

+ _

+ _ to any active defense preformed, Preform your action last

Protect

+ +

1 Maneuver

Active defense can be applied to single ally, preform your action last

Two Actions

+ +

1 Maneuver

+2 cool down each, & counts as &&

Multiple targets

+ +

@ per group size

Damage/( group size)

Extend duration

@ per round

Increase duration (minutes)

+ _

Casting time is 10 minutes

Duration increase x10 minutes

Increase duration (hours)

+ +

Casting time is 1 hour

Duration increase x1 hours

Risking against recharge

+ +

+ _ per recharge token

Use an action that is still charging

Fast casting

(+ + )

+ + when fast casting a spell

Fast Prayer

(+ + )

+ + when meditating

Defensless Target

0 +

+Characteristic damage, +3 damage if Precise , ignore armor soak if Pierce

Precise Is a weapon quality I gave daggers and smaller weapons:

Precise

Subtract 1 _ from enemies defense

**** forum does not like tables ill post a fixed version later

1. I like chaos stars to be rare but potent. Too many purples change the tone from "grimdark" to "slapstick". Think about all the location cards along the lines of "Chaos Star: Fall off the dock. End your turn." With 1 purple on the attack, something goes disastrously wrong 12.5% of the time, so about once per round somebody gets a chaos star. But if you bump that up to 4 purples via various modifiers, you're looking at a 41% chance per attack of getting a star.

I think this is a great statement. Rather than exchange 2 black dice per purple, I just let players cancel chaos stars with 2 boons.

jh

We cancel chaos stars with sigmar comets in our group for a similar reason. Like I said in another topic, the fact that every single check that involves at least 1 purple involves a big chance of something "stupid", not necessarily grimdark happening, is just silly.

Chaos Stars are usually counted as Banes in our game. So most of the time it just messes up extra effects, like "recover one stress" or whatever. But it is GM perogative.