Should it not have been Stars War?

By DanteRotterdam, in General Discussion

It is many stars but one war.

Also it might as well have been called the Clones War... Same thing, millions of Clones one war.

We don't call it the second world wars or the israeli palestinean conflicts.

Just something I thought about last night.

I think the term "Star Wars" was used in much the same way that anything with a "Star-" prefix is used. It doesn't mean there's only one star, it just means that it takes place around the stars. "Starship," for example. There are other examples of this in the English language- "toothbrush," rather than "teethbrush" and just about any compound word that starts with "hair."

As far as the Clone Wars go, I would at least like to suggest that the vastly disparate campaigns and situations mean that while the Clone Wars were actually one single "meta" conflict, they were all still relatively self-contained wars on the planets they took place on. It's similar to how during the Second World War, the Pacific War and the European war were almost completely separate wars.

But of course, these are merely the verbal and semantic gymnastics of a rabid fanboy, so take that for what it's worth.

Yeah… I wasn’t really that serious to begin with. :)

Yeah… I wasn’t really that serious to begin with. :)

Well, you're right. The "Clone Wars" were really only just one conflict.

Got too much free time on your hands, DR? :)

More lick too much thought in my brain… You do know weed is legal here?

Why call it the Clone War when it was the Separatist Conflict?

Star Wars was so called because it was better than calling it Space Opera which it is.

Whichever way you look at it, it still holds up though I'd love to know what the people who consider The Phantom Menace their Star Wars think of the original and the special edition!

When they originally talked about the Clone Wars I assumed they meant it was a war fought against a Clone Army not how the Republic was usurped from within!

Still you never know where these discussions will lead to... maybe I'm thinking too much on this too! :D

When they originally talked about the Clone Wars I assumed they meant it was a war fought against a Clone Army not how the Republic was usurped from within!

This was my read on it until Attack of the Clones was released. "Clone Wars" came across as a throwaway reference in the first movie. Even when the EU started picking up (and I devoured the EU novels and some of the graphic novels up until the Vong stuff started coming out) they never fleshed out the Clone Wars. Not even Zahn did in the Thrawn trilogy. So I think your reading is very valid because I had it too. Of course, whether Lucas actually had the prequel trilogy planned out at the time the original trilogy was written or not doesn't matter. What we have makes sense, we just didn't have an explanation for about 25 years.

Somebody should Philosiraptor the title. My computers are too old to do it.

Why call it the Clone War when it was the Separatist Conflict?

That was the one the show focused upon. The Essential Atlas shows several different conflicts, all products of Sideous' manipulations, but not all linked to the separatists.

What I imagined, way back when, was this. That the Jedi fought the clones, hence why it was called the Clone Wars. Without an army, the Jedi were the protectors and peacekeepers of the galaxy. Planets, if advanced enough, had their own military. Then along comes the sneaky Emperor from within, having created a clone army, and tries to take over. Before overtly doing it, he undermines the Jedi here and there, making the case for a standing army and more focused rule. By the time the Jedi try to fight back it is too late. The General moniker comes from the Jedi leading quickly gathered forces to stop the takeover, but as I said, it is too little too late. These groups also give the basis for what will become the Rebellion later on. One of the biggest blows to the Jedi is when Anakin slips to the Dark side (his seduction did start back when the future Emperor was still in hiding). Mom (now Padme) dies trying to oppose Anakin's fall and he thinks he kills her and his future children, sending him deeper into the Dark side. Obi Wan saves her long enough to save the kids and then spirits them away, giving Leia to Bail, a former fellow soldier who happened to be a noble, and Owen, another one from Tatooine. He then follows Luke to watch over him because of the prophecy.

That is pretty much the core of what I thought.

it's worth noting, mouthymerc, that owen is related to Schmi by marriage; Schmi is his stepmother. Luke is raised by family of a sort. Family who had met his father, and who knew his father as a guy who goes well overboard. So Uncle owen is Luke's uncle - his father's stepbrother.

Luke was, it appears to me, placed where Obi-wan could hide out in huttspace (Tatooine ceases being in huttspace after the clone wars), and where, if Anakin found out that the child had survived, Luke could be sacrificed to preserve the secrecy of Leia.

I do find, however, that for a backwater on the edge of Huttspace, Tatooine is just all to bloody important time and time again.

Oh I know that now, this was before the prequel trilogy and Luke and Leia's mom didn't even have a name. Back then I thought Owen and Beru knew about Anakin from the Clone Wars, but weren't actually related, not even by marriage.

Edited by mouthymerc

Back then I thought Owen and Beru knew about Anakin from the Cone Wars

'The Cone Wars'?

Now there's a prequel I'd be willing to watch! ;)

Back then I thought Owen and Beru knew about Anakin from the Cone Wars

'The Cone Wars'?

Now there's a prequel I'd be willing to watch! ;)

Did i not mention I also thought the Coneheads were part of this too?

Did i not mention I also thought the Coneheads were part of this too?

But will we get ErikB on here protesting that the ConeTroopers are too tough and should just be incompetent immovable red safety markers for placing on roads?