Is twist of fate as good as I have heard?

By macar, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Hi guys I picked up the lcg at the world event and have been skimming through the cards. After review I haven't seen a real reason for a lot of tof. I get the purpose behind the card but there are other fate cards I would rather play. I feel if you play defensively you can play around tof and have cards to play for the second fate battle.

Here is the scenario in my head,

Either they play tof first and you lay a two drop, they play a 1 and you play a 1 or they drop tof later and waste more cards while you still have one or two in reserve

Twist of Fate is a phenomenal edge card. Not only does it help you win edge battles but it also negates fate cards they try to slip in.

One of the biggest questions I find myself asking when holding a twist is how far to escalate an edge battle before hitting the reset button. If I'm defending my icons are worth more than theirs because the tie goes to me. I'll gladly pitch in a 2-3 dot card as my first bid because I know they can't beat me unless they toss in a 2nd card. If I have high icons, or a large number of cards I may continue to escalate. Counsel of the Sith and Reconnaissance Mission are so good not just because they give you twist of fate, but also a large hand size to bid with in edge battles. You should be counting the number of cards in your opponents hand trying to figure out how high they can bid before you reset the edge battle and also how high they can get up to after.

This is of course vastly complicated when your opponent is ALSO running twist of fate

Twist is as good as you have heard, most especially on the defense. It introduces a bluffing mechanic to the game. I typically like to lay it first if I intend to play it, since it gives you the most options. If my opponent passes, I will pass and let it resolve (1for1 card in most cases). If they play another card I might lay a extra held resource card or even a 1-value to see if they will go in more, since typically if a person goes in for more than one card, it was not a twist. It is possible, particularly on defense, to end up where you automatically win the edge no matter what since you managed to bluff you way into them twisting their whole hand.

Using this strategy also allows you to throw 1 high-value card as the first card and catch your opponent off guard, since if you use twist a lot, and only lay one card then pass, many people will expect the twist and pass.

Dark side obviously gets much more mileage out of it that Light, since they tend to defend more. When building Sith decks, I typically prefer to have at least 3 twists.

Concur with what has been said above. ToF is an extremely versatile card. It can allow you to win the edge by itself either while on defense or when striking with units that have Edge[X] advantages (like the Falcon, Mothma or the TIE Interceptor from the DS Challenge deck). Having a reset in a pivotal edge battle has and will continue to win games.

On a related note, how do I beat Twist of Fate? Like, how can I consistently manage to ****** victory from the jaws of this card, without being, y'know, Force Sensitive ?

run Hoth Operations and always attack with 14 bajillion speeders

In general, the Edge[X] gametext is a decent way to beat it. This means that even with a ToF, cards will need to be held back. It also means that you can force your opponent to play the first card in an edge stack.

On a related note, how do I beat Twist of Fate? Like, how can I consistently manage to ****** victory from the jaws of this card, without being, y'know, Force Sensitive ?

Build a deck with card draw abilities or reserve your hand for the edge battles. Feed him a cheap card, (you can also use Obi-Wan)

Then call his bluff.

Dabbling a bit with Poker can make you a decent reader of opponents. You may be surprised at how often you can spot and call a ToF.

Thanks for the updates guys, I haven't gotten a real game in yet but I hope to this thursday. I wish I had my stuff with me so i could post my builds but alas they are at home. I will post em up and need some newbie feedback.