Psykers Being Cheesy

By venkelos, in Only War House Rules

Okay, so I've probably made a pretty good case in my posts about Psykers and gear that the Psyker is my favorite character archetype, both because they have cheesy power, and because I see them as having some fun, cool plot potential for roleplaying, where some soldiers just seem to be cardboard cutouts with lasguns (your mileage might vary on both sides of this), and the jury still seems a bit out on the issue of gear, but now I have a question that should be a simple yes/no; I just don't know, personally. Here comes the scenario:

Right, so you are some rather exceedingly powerful Santioned Psyker, let's say PR 5 (I don't know what descriptors a character should have before they might accurately be referred to as "Primaris".) You come across a situation where you need to really push the limits of what you can do, and are equipped for the task. You are going to use Molten Beam (p.234), and decide to Push it (+3). Using Warp Conduit (p.153), you add 5 (assuming best roll) to your already frightening power level. You are looking at being a Human meltagun, and are probably going to ruin someone's day, but then the warp check is coming. Knowing that the big oomph from WC is going to make this suck, can you use Warp Lock (p.153) to dodge it the one time? It seems a lot of XP to get so powerful that you are "only" a one-time meltagun, but that's only one of the myriad things you can do, so that's not a gripe. Could Warp Lock save your bacon when you intentionally brought the big check down on yourself?

As a second little question, when you Push as a SP, is their any good reason NOt to just say +3? The other two types say that they add to the Phenomena Table based on how hard they pushed, but Bound just says +1 to +3, and you add +10. Seems no reason to say +1, if you've already decided to tolerate the Push. Thanks for any insight.

Warp Lock should indeed work as discibed but as a GM i would tell the player before hand that his Warp Lock is for his level so exceeding his level will make the consequences more harsh, say a PR 3 psyker used PR 6 and uses Warp Lock i would deal him double the damage, and that would hurt
not as much as a warp incusion but still

the different push levels give you options, say you wanna use telekinesis to move something and dont need the +3 but only +1 to to so, in that case you can minimise the consequences