Supplying the Card Pool

By whywing, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I have been reading about this game for a couple of days and gauging interest in my playgroup.

If I were to buy the following list would it be a balanced starting point? I am planning on playing melee mostly but I imagine joust games will also happen.

2x Core set

Princes of the Sun

Kings of the Sea

From there I want to keep the factions as balanced as possible, is the best way to do this by buying whole chapter pack cycles rather than one at a time? I would also like the deluxe expansions for each Core faction, would this cause balance issues with Martells and Greyjoys compared to the Core set factions?

Any and all help is appreciated!

What you list would be perfect. The only problem you might have is that there is a bit of power creep btw the core cards and the two xpacs, but shouldn't be a problem for a casual group. Have fun!

Agree that what you have listed is a good start, but a lot of the discussion really depends on what you mean by "balanced."

If you mean "any faction cab hold its own," yeah, that works. If you mean "any faction has an equal chance of winning," probably not. But then, you'll probably never be able to put together a card pool in which each faction has an equal chance of winning because of the different themes, play styles, etc.

Agree that what you have listed is a good start, but a lot of the discussion really depends on what you mean by "balanced."

If you mean "any faction cab hold its own," yeah, that works. If you mean "any faction has an equal chance of winning," probably not. But then, you'll probably never be able to put together a card pool in which each faction has an equal chance of winning because of the different themes, play styles, etc.

How is "holding it's own" different from "equal chance of winning"?

I am interpreting balance as both of these things. My end plan is to have each faction on even enough ground that the same ones aren't winning over and over. I want each faction able to win the game while there isn't one that somebody would not want to play because they feel they wouldn't have a chance.

Well there are decks that won't get annihilated, but will be unable to win.

Essentially, they can't accumulate power, but they maintain board position.

Core set pwns. So many good cards.

Well there are decks that won't get annihilated, but will be unable to win.

Essentially, they can't accumulate power, but they maintain board position.

After playing a round with my pals I can definitely see what you mean.

I thought I saw reference to suggested starter decks based of off two Cores and 1 deluxe of the other factions. Is that a thing or should I just make them myself?