Conquest and Defiance

By Skowza, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

What if Dany forms a harem of the most powerful cards I mean men....

Prized keeps the risk front-and-center, and can never be ignored. While I think the two mechanics try to do the same thing, create a built-in drawback and/or balance to very powerful cards, I think Prized succeeds in a way Doomed never could. So I don't think there can be a whole lot of "like Doomed" comparisons between the two mechanics, and I don't think past experiences with Doomed in the CCG will be a good predictor for the experiences with Prized in the LCG.

I sure hope you are correct. I think I would agree with your assessment *IF* there was no way to make your opponents cards prized. However, my initial reaction is that making cards like the Blackfish that allow you to give your opponents the prized trait is a huge mistake. That was one of the big problems with doomed (& that catastrophe of a cycle) - your opponent was playing a completely different game than you & there was no way to defend against it. Hopefully I'm wrong. This mechanic sure doesn't make me want to start playing competitively again.

Lol I am envisioning a martell direct kill war crest deck with deceit and die by the sword and prized galore. Probably too many moving parts, but sounds sexy.

If giving opponents characters prized becomes big, I could see a return to character-less decks just like Winter Block.

I sure hope you are correct. I think I would agree with your assessment *IF* there was no way to make your opponents cards prized. However, my initial reaction is that making cards like the Blackfish that allow you to give your opponents the prized trait is a huge mistake. That was one of the big problems with doomed (& that catastrophe of a cycle) - your opponent was playing a completely different game than you & there was no way to defend against it. Hopefully I'm wrong. This mechanic sure doesn't make me want to start playing competitively again.

Actually, I'm kind of encouraged by The Blackfish that they are handling the keyword properly. It is a very limited situation in which you can give an opponent's character "Prized." His ability is essentially the same as "After a character dies for military claim while The Blackfish is attacking, claim 1 power for your House." That's certainly a powerful card, but not one that changes the game you play to one that is completely different from the one your opponent is playing. Try to kill as many characters as you can by winning military challenges (with The Blackfish, no less) seems like pretty standard game play to me. If the number of effects that give Prized to an opponent's card are relatively few, and as limited in scope as The Blackfish, I think we'll be OK.

@Dennis: Yeah, that could be a really sexy combo deck, but ooooh would it be risky! I'd be really worried about my opponent's Valar or Westeros Bleeds turning my "prized galore" into "game over."

I'm just really excited to see new characters enter the game, ie: Tycho Nestoris!

If giving opponents characters prized becomes big, I could see a return to character-less decks just like Winter Block.

Return..lol...we are currently in the character-less deck competitive scene. Hoping this will change soon and the game can start to go back being based on challenges and not events.