11/30 - NYC RED SATURDAY TOURNEY (A Black Friday Tradition)

By Vaapad, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

For many years, the NYC Meta has ended the tournament season with one last tournament over Thanksgiving weekend, on Black Friday. This year will be no exception! Based on positive feedback we received last year, the tournament will be held on "Red Saturday" (the day after Black Friday), which should help accommodate travel schedules, family commitments, etc. As always, we will give you the complete New York experience, including unique prizes, a high level of play, and great fun in the City! More to follow, but here are the preliminary details for those who want to start planning travel itineraries, etc:

What: RED SATURDAY Joust Tournament
When: Saturday, 11/30, 10:00AM - 8:00PM or so (and we'll invariably hit the bar afterwards)
Where: The Compleat Strategist, 11 E. 33rd St, Manhattan
Cost: $10

If there is demand for it, we will also (as is our custom) have casual melee the night before (11/29). Details on that to come as well.

If you can't make it to worlds and you live in the Northeast, this is your chance to get in one more tourney before regionals resume next year! If you are coming to worlds, well . . . f*ck it, just come anyway :)

We hope to see many of you at the end of the month!

Edited by Vaapad

I will be in attendance and will be bring the following to add to the prize pool:

1. Martell Resin card

2. 2012 aGoT regionals banner (king stannis version)

3. (if you are a man) 1 firm handshake

4. (If you are a woman) 1 smooch on the cheek

5. Various playmats that I have collected over the years

6. (If attendance breaks 20) More French house cards

7. Alt art wildfire (several)

8. Alt art balon (2x)

9. If attendance reaches 25+ I will also add a FULL set of the wooden house cards. I won em in NY, that's where they should return!

Can't wait!

Nikki and I would love to come, but I'm not sure how the logistics will work out. We would need a place to stay, maybe a carpool (since 10 hours is a bit of a drive), and everyone's schedules will have to sync-up.

Nikki and I would love to come, but I'm not sure how the logistics will work out. We would need a place to stay, maybe a carpool (since 10 hours is a bit of a drive), and everyone's schedules will have to sync-up.

We'd love to have you guys dusty. We can definitely work out a place to stay, so don't worry about that.

There's also the custom playmat I had made if Vaapad doesn't ninja it. D:

it8SL4y.jpg

This is Eastwatch-by-the-Sea by Ted Nasmith (a Lord of the Rings artist). According to him it's not how George R. R. Martin envisions Eastwatch, but George had nothing negative to say about his depiction of the Wall.

Yup, one of the many prizes we'll have

Ok. So Nikki and I are almost certainly going to come. We are just working on trying to get a car pool going (but our metamates are lame).

Official challenge issued. I beg and plead with everyone coming to do two things:

1. If you went to worlds, DO NOT play your worlds deck.

2. Do not "net deck" one of the several top decks from worlds.

This tourney will be 100x more enjoyable for everyone if we all agree to this. So far everyone that I have talked to that is going has agreed. Let's make this a fun, original, T2ish event! We even discussed potentially reserving the top tourney prizes for the person who brings the best and most creative deck as voted on by the attendees! But of course that is up to NYC to make the final call. So IMO when deciding what deck to play, ask yourself one question: Will you really be proud of yourself if you bring Alvaro's deck and beat down on a field of people trying out fresh decks? I'd hope the answer is no.

Ok. So Nikki and I are almost certainly going to come. We are just working on trying to get a car pool going (but our metamates are lame).

Excellent! How many of you will need a place to stay? If it's more than just you a Nikki, I want to start figuring out arrangements to make sure there's space with our players.

Edited by Vaapad

Alright, with worlds done, Red Saturday looms large! Venue updated in OP.

I'll start taking RSVP's now - if you are coming (or are a likely maybe), please let me know. Even if you think I already know - because it's thanksgiving weekend, I haven't kept track of who has a family commitment, etc. So post here or message me privately, and feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Excellent! How many of you will need a place to stay? If it's more than just you a Nikki, I want to start figuring out arrangements to make sure there's space with our players.

Looking like it'll just be Nikki and myself. That's why our metamates are lame. They wanna spend time with family and such...blech. Thrones is my family!

P.S. That part about them spending time with family is not true. I just thought it sounded better than they had to work, which is super super lame.

Official challenge issued. I beg and plead with everyone coming to do two things:

1. If you went to worlds, DO NOT play your worlds deck.

2. Do not "net deck" one of the several top decks from worlds.

This tourney will be 100x more enjoyable for everyone if we all agree to this. So far everyone that I have talked to that is going has agreed. Let's make this a fun, original, T2ish event! We even discussed potentially reserving the top tourney prizes for the person who brings the best and most creative deck as voted on by the attendees! But of course that is up to NYC to make the final call. So IMO when deciding what deck to play, ask yourself one question: Will you really be proud of yourself if you bring Alvaro's deck and beat down on a field of people trying out fresh decks? I'd hope the answer is no.

This is hard for me. I've been playing and tweaking Lanni No Agenda for months now (basically as soon as I got home from my massive sucking at Gencon), and my deck looks nearly identical to Alvaro's (as far as I can tell from streams). So, should I not play the deck that I have spent hours upon hours building and playtesting just because someone else had the same idea?

Or, if we truly want everyone to go T2, what happens when 1 player (who didn't see this announcement) brings a T1 and wipes the floor with everyone? That's not a fun tournament.

Edited by sWhiteboy

I'd suggest bringing 2 decks just in case. I plan on doing the same. 1x fun deck, 1x worlds deck. If people want a real game, me and Dave can just play the finals with our unstoppable targ HH decks from worlds before the tourney starts, then go home, if people want to have fun we can play the new decks.

Haha. Ok. That makes sense to bring extras.

Also, maybe you weren't aware of this, but both of you were stopped at Worlds ;)

Fair enough. If Greg, Bruno, or a euro champ shows up at Black Friday I'll concede :)

Let me go through these ideas with Dan and post something official about decks/format later this week.

What's there to discuss about format? dcdennis issued a challenge to all players. If a player doesn't want to accept they don't have to.

What's there to discuss about format? dcdennis issued a challenge to all players. If a player doesn't want to accept they don't have to.

This.

I do not want nor expect any 'official' mandate to follow my challenge. Essentially I'm just calling you a ***** and preemptively taking away your glory to try and shame everyone into playing fun decks. Because if you bring a net deck the community will know you only won because a large chunk of the field was playing T2, thus making you a flaming kitten stomper.

Sure, but dusty didn't netdeck anything. He didn't go to worlds, and thoughtfully bulg a deck over the past month that happened to be popular at worlds. He should be able to play it and still retain his glory, no?

Depends on your definition of glory I suppose. Whether or not he net decked, doesn't change that beating a field of intentionally lesser competitive decks is less impressive than if I had never issued my challenge in the first place and we all played our best decks.

So I apologize to Dusty that my challenge inadvertently may have tainted his win should he win. Obviously that was not my intent. But on the flip side, he now can be EXTRA humiliated when he DOESNT win in a field full of dayne and tullys :)

Fair enough.

For my part, I am going to try to build a competitive deck. I am going to try to win. But I'm going to do it with a deck that 1) I did not play at worlds; 2) I did not see others play at worlds; and 3) is not being raved about as T1 on the boards.

It doesn't count as net decking if I play a deck that Corey gave me but hasn't been made public yet right?

After discussion with Dave and hearing the plight of my man Dusty and those in his situation, I am modifying my challenge to include only those players who went to worlds and/or consider themselves above average players. We should try to win, but not with a slam dunk deck. This gives Dusty's breed of player a shot at real glory, and those of us who are T1'd out to have fun in a slightly different way while exercising our creativity.

Fact: Corey is a deckbuilding genius. I'd say if you were going for not being totally competitive, then playing a Corey deck is cheating.

Switching decks is not something I'm completely opposed to (I can just save my Lanni for the next local tournament), but I'm not quite to skill level of being able to build two competitive decks (one for me and one for Nikki) in a couple of weeks. Especially since I don't have any building partners.

IDK. I'll see if I can must up a few good ideas...

Edited by sWhiteboy

Dusty I think we cross posted, check out my previous post.

...I am modifying my challenge to include only those players who...consider themselves above average players. This gives Dusty's breed of player a shot at real glory...

OUCH! While I know I am not at the top, I do consider myself an above average player who is strong enough to win a tournament. The only thing that holds me back is a lack of real tournament experience.

Needless to say: Challenge Accepted!