Sorcery and Psi Rating

By bphill561, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Sorcery as outlined in the Radical's Handbook is straight forward if you just have Sorcery or if you gain Sorcery after already having a Psi-rating (just adds +1 to your rating). Are there rules anywhere about what happens if you have Sorcery First and pick up a psi rating later?

For Instance, say you have an Adept with the Sorcery and Master Sorcery talents. Combined the talents grant you a Psi-rating of 4. If you add the talent Psi-Rating 1, is your new psi-rating a 3? Basic rules state Psi-rating of 1 grants you 1 and each sorcery talent now adds 1 to that rating. It seems to me a strange oversight to have no mention of what happens if you get sorcery first. Especially considering the alternative career rank that gets Master Sorcery is specially for Adepts which have the ability to get a Psi-rating late in advancement.

This gets even screwier when you factor in Ascension. In Ascension you could select the general transition package of "The Mind's Eye Opens" which increases your Psi-rating by one. This is only possible if Sorcery's "Effective Psi-rating" counts as an actual rating. Likewise the Inquisitor can select "The Psyker's Gift" to Psi-rating.

Of course balance could be an issue of concern, but it does not look all that bad to me. A Psyker can get a Psi-rating of 6+1 with Sorcery by Rank 8 (Assuming they do not have the option to Elite Advance Master Sorcery from some source). An Adept could get to a Psi-Rating of 3+2 with Master Sorcery or 4+3 for Psi Talents if you allowed Psi after sorcery to advance sorcery.

The Adept sorcery can cherry pick powers, but is at +2 difficulty. The Psyker could end up with Discipline Mastery (-5 Threshold), Power wells (More Effective -Threshold), and the Talent that decreases threshold by 2 for a given discipline (Net Minus 10-12ish) In ascension, the Psyker keeps going with Primarius, but the adept tops out at most with another +2. Primarius can use less dice to prevent a warp effect, the sorcery can get a Warp Staff from Demon Hunter to also avoid warp effects. The only place that sorcery really has an advantage is with some of the chaos disciplines that only have 1 to 3 powers, a poor choice for a psyker.

Has anyone Explored this in one of their games, seen house rules, or know of actually rules that deal differently with Psi Rating Talents gained after Sorcery?

When we played I, as a GM ruled like this:

If you use pure sorcery with Master Sorcerer you count as having PR 4, or you can use your "normal" psy powers, adding +1 to your psy rating for each sorcerer talent.

So Master sorcerer = PR 4, but +20 or smth to phenomena

PR 1 + Master sorc = 3, but no bonus to phenomena

Amaimon, what you posted are the actual rules. I just had the impression that the creators described Sorcery alone or Sorcery picked up with an existing Psi Rating, but never thought about what happens if you pick up a Psi Rating after you already had Sorcery. It seems strange to me if you have a slew of Sorcery Powers, many of them major powers, and you end up with a Psi rating talent you loss access to all of them. A Psi-rating of 3 does not allow any Discipline or Major Powers. That being said, you most likely would never take a Psi Rating 1 Talent with Sorcery unless you planned on getting more if going with Rules as Written. I am not trying to make an argument for things to work differently than what is written in the rules, it just seems that Psi after Sorcery would work different.

Where it gets more confusing in my mind is with Nascent Psyker and Ascension material. Nascent Psyker cannot be taken with a Psi-rating, but Socrerers only have an effective Psi-rating, not a real one. Likewise the Inquisitor Psyker's Gift increases your Psi-Rating by +1, can this be used to increase your effective Sorcery Psi-Rating since it requires a Psi-Rating? I think with the rules as written, one of the two would have to work. If you Psi-rating is not real, then Nascent would work with in conjunction with Sorcery; and if Psi-rating is real, then you should be able to advance it with the Inquisitor Psyker Gift.