Ideas for showing distances in combat

By BattleZone, in WFRP Gamemasters

Other than tokens what are some ideas that other people are using to show distances in combat.

I looked on Litko but there arent really any RPG Measuring sticks or anything cool like that

You can create one from paper, with the different ranges. Then laminate it. I made some way back. Different ones for different range bands. I'll make a new one though, so we just have a couple at hand - but most of the time we'll just call it without measuring.

I made a cardboard rectangle that has close/med/ long1/long2/extreme1/extreme2/extreme3 on it.

jh

nice ideas... does somebody have such a ladder with some shiny art on it ?

Have a look here:

http://vierzwergeundeinhund.blogspot.de/2013/02/wfrp-entfernungsmarker-bauen.html

2013-02-04+00.10.56.jpg

Just print out on parchment paper, then glued to card board with range on it. There is an attached PDF in the blog, but with german distances. Just make your own Version. Font is dominican I think.

I have made the first letter BIg and in red for better distinction.

The problem I had with showing ranges is that it gets difficult if at least 2 characters are not in the same range band. Did someone find a way to solve this?

Most of the time, can't you simply keep track of where everyone is from the narrative, that is, in your heads? That works for us, most of the time, since measurements are abstract and arbitrary anyway.

When and if things get confused - they do sometimes, most likely my fault, we draw a sketch showing the layout of the area and where everyone is. If you feel the need to actually write the distances, then simply draw a line and mark it with a letter (c, m, l..). That solves the problem with characters not being in the same range band.

Like this (but with pictures of houses, obstacles et.c.)

Reinhardt ____ c ____ Goon ______________ m ______________ Joseph

l l

l l

l l

m c

l l

l l

l l

von Stangel _______ m __________________Goon 2

We generally like to see the location. It helps visualize the space and gives us ideas on what to do.

I have several maps, sheets, and pictures that I use to show the space the group is in. It really helps dealing with medium/close range (for engaged I just put their figures touching). Long range is where I hand wave & just place figures off the map.

The tricky part is if they split into two groups which are both long range from each other. I try to just keep the groups dealing with separate issues, or create a reason to group them back up.