The Cloak & Dagger Challenge

By Rithe, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

Ok so a friend of mine approached me with the following "how cool would it be if Cloak & Dagger was viable?" ssooo after a long debate of "this is my good friend ninja he does C&D but better" I felt the need to prove that a deck with ninja will have more to offer then a C&D deck but stiill here's what I drafted and it does kinda work.

Just not super well :P

So now I hand this challenge to you. GLHF

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-deck-builder

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (11)
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Modded (Core #35) x2
Diesel (Core #34) x3

Hardware (11)
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core #38) x2
Cyberfeeder (Core #5) x3 ■
The Toolbox (Core #41) x1
Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus #48) x3
Rabbit Hole (Core #39) x2

Program (18)
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ■■
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x2
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x3
Inti (Creation and Control #48) x3
Dagger (Creation and Control #42) x3
Cloak (Creation and Control #41) x3
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x2

Resource (5)
Underworld Contact (A Study in Static #69) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 7
Criminal: 0
Shaper: 65

so yea, shaper with a splash of anarch.

so the focus is C+D and getting them on the field so they can do something and if i only have 1 making it not a total loss.

mac (the only shaper this can really work on imo)

self modifying code (only real fetch card thati can see)

dino (+ str to anything attached with is nice)

mem chip (i kinda need a lot of programs for this sssooo needed)

U-contact + rabbit hole (harder to tag and bag me, also the +1 is nice)

was thinking personal touch but not 100% sure if it fits.

thoughts of monolith did crop up but then i sighed and said "i wish"

Couple of thoughts (I don't play Shaper, so I'm probably not the best to critique but still):

Why the one-off Toolbox if you're also running 3x Dinosaurus? Chances of pulling Toolbox are going to be slim, and it's not as if you can install both.

With all your tutoring, you can probably afford to run less Daggers (but keep multiple cloaks, for those pesky sentries above Str 5).

Inti and Corroder? Any particular reason? Inti is... not a great fracter, and Corroder is excellent.

Where is the rest of your influence? I think some Datasuckers would be a big help at getting either cheaper breaking, or bringing things into Dagger range.

You might find yourself hard for cash as well; maybe some more fast money-making cards (I know you have MO, but it can take a while to pay out and eats MU - Maybe Kati Jones or Liberated Accounts?)

I'm also guessing by your card pool you have a single Core set? Not a criticism, just an observation (I like to play 3 x Rabbit Hole when I play it at all, but I know you only get 2 in Core).

1 TB is simply cos i only have 1 cop from the core set XD

Inti has str for the rest of the run so its good for when im poor

I am trying to get jones in there cos it is good

And again the hole is 2 cos thats all i got still need to get my second core set

Well if you're running Dino, focus on how to get the most from it. Toolbox is probably unnecessary.

Inti keeps its Str, but a) costs a lot to boost and b) that's only useful IF the corp puts their barriers in a line for you (or you're using Escher). That's not to say it's useless, but as you're already spending the inf for Corroder, run Corroder. You won't regret it. If you were spending the inf elsewhere I'd understand.

Also, does this deck have any particular strategy? Are you focusing on centrals, remotes, or just targets of opportunity? You don't seem to be running any multi-access cards, so no particular central threat.

Mostly targets of oppunity and round here ppl turtle up hard on the R&D and HQ so mostly we take what we can get.

But your feed back is appre as gives me thinks to think on after tonights games

Keeping with the theme of paying for runs with recurring credits and completely untested:

Event (10)
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Escher (Creation and Control #31) x1

Hardware (11)
R&D Interface (Future Proof #107) x3
Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead #2) x3 ■■
Dyson Mem Chip (Trace Amount #28) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2

Program (12)
Corroder (Core #7) x1 ■■
Datasucker (Core #8) x3 ■
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x3
Dagger (Creation and Control #42) x1

Resource (12)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x3
Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x3
Underworld Contact (A Study in Static #69) x3
Professional Contacts (Creation and Control #49) x3

An alternate rig with Desperado and Omnidrive in place of Spinal Modem and Dyson Mem Chips suggested itself, which would free up 3 card slots at the expense of link. On the other hand, I find the Omnidrives to be limiting to use, since they need to be installed before your breakers.

You didn't have any Plascrete, so if your local meta doesn't require it, you have influence left to pull them and return the Cyberfeeders.

You're going to be very sad running Underworld Contacts with no +Link...

Might I suggest instead:

Event (10)

Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3

Hardware (11)

R&D Interface (Future Proof #107) x3

Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead #2) x3 ■■

Dyson Mem Chip (Trace Amount #28) x3

Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2

Program (14)

Corroder (Core #7) x1 ■■

Datasucker (Core #8) x3 ■

Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■

Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x3

Magnum Opus (Core) x1

Gordon Blade (Core) x1

Resource (10)

Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x3

Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x3

Professional Contacts (Creation and Control #49) x3

The Helpful AI (What Lies Ahead) x1

You have a Gordian Blade, MO can supplement as needed, and helpful AI can be, well, helpful, in a pinch. I would highly suggest swapping in The Personal Touch, perhaps for some of the Economy, and Strongly consider adding an Ice Carver, although Datasuckers covers that base pretty well.

Hope that helps, it could probably, and should be, tweaked to suit your play style/local meta, and to use the left over influence for things you find lacking. Enjoy!

You're going to be very sad running Underworld Contacts with no +Link...

Those would be the 3 card slots freed up if the link was removed.

Personal Touch, Helpful AI and Icecarver are all for boosting Dagger when Cloak isn't in play. With Test Run and Self-Modifying, this should be rare enough for Datasucker to handle.

My attempt:

My thinking was basically "okay, so, Dagger is efficient if you have Cloak, and Cloak recurring credits are useful for anything, so we're talking about a rig that's running 5-6 MU." So, that led me to try Chaos Theory.

The deck works all right--basically, you dig through the deck like a squirrel on crank, and any card that isn't Rig or Money is a blank card--ditch it and fist back up. Replicator exists to basically trash cards out of the deck and make it even thinner. Drop Same Old Thing if you see it so you don't have to hold on to Levy AR Access in hand. Once you've run through the deck, shuffle back up and grab anything that broke your heart the first time around.

The deck's major weakness is that its economy is spiky and event-based; it also lacks much of a means to really capitalize on multiple runs per turn. Running through multiple sentries is an inherent weakness of D/C in the rig, so consider using Escher to move aside anything giving too many problems. I might try and find room for a Dinosaurus for Dagger, but Personal Touch helps a lot too.

Total Cards: (40)
Event (17)
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x2
Easy Mark (Core #19) x3 ■
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control #35) x1
Modded (Core #35) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow #87) x2

Hardware (11)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control #38) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x1
Replicator (Humanity's Shadow #88) x2
The Personal Touch (Core #40) x3
Desperado (Core #24) x2 ■■■

Program (9)
Corroder (Core #7) x1 ■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x2
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ■
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x1

Resource (3)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x2
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control #54) x1

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 3
Criminal: 9
Shaper: 53

Can't find the decklist anymore (and I'm at work :P ) but I had a pretty good C&D deck with Kit back before the Spin Cycle.

Basically, the nature of the Cloaks' recurring credits means that you're probably only making 1-2 runs per turn which synergises beautifully with Kit. As mentioned above Personal Touches and Dinosaurus should feature heavily in such a deck as well to improve on Dagger's uselfulness.

I'd have to think about it in light of half a Spin Cycle; might be a little side project...