Help with mood-setting music

By Xenos scum, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hi Guys

I'm looking to start a new campaign and I have become bored with the music I know and I would love some new ideas. So any input or suggestions on music would be greatly appreciated :) Really, it could be any genre or mood, I like to use a lot of different music depending on what mood I want to create. As long as you think it fits the universe of 40k, I'll give it a chance :D

Cheers

Really old Einstürzende Neubauten maybe? Halber Mensch could pass for 40K I think.

Gregorian Chant'y stuff might also be suitable.

Or the soundtracks from the various 40K video games.

You might want to be a tad more specific though. I mean, official 40K stuff tends towards either things like Boltthrower , or the stupidly bombastic choir stuff. I'm guessing chances are pretty good the lot of you would go bonkers listening to either for 4 hours straight, or however long your average play session lasts.

Well, I can give the link to few good WH40K songs ... but they are in Russian :-)

Well, I rarely like anything with vocals, since it draws to much attention to the music while gaming. Much like it seldom works with vocals on a movie soundtrack. I am looking for a bit of high-strung choir, but I probably won't need a lot of it. I won't need 4 hours to loose my sanity listening to that, but it might be useful from time to time.

I really don't want to narrow it down much further, since I'm trying to broaden my horizon and hear what other GM's like to use :)

Even if it is in Russian :D

Mostly ambient music at my table, lots of it soundtracks from films and video games. Someone compiled a collaborative Spotify playlist a while ago, and you can find it here:

Dark Heresy

The dune soundtrack might be a good fit. Some ambient industrial/electro depending on what mood you are angling for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6EJ2iPWfCA

For exploring some abandoned underhive/ wasteland?

If you want something to contrast with the overall 'ambient' sound for fight scenes, I think Ministry works well.

Fight Scenes and dramatic moments - Pretty much anything by Two Steps From Hell or Epic Score.

See most of Youtube for more details. Hans Zimmer music is good too. Black Hawk Down is a nice one.

Alternatively, the original Danse Macabre (AKA the Johnathan Creek themetune) feels appropriate for background music for hive-spire balls, etc.

Also, at some point the acolytes are likely to be in a lighter, valkyrie, or gun-cutter with some Guard soldiers or Inquisitorial stormtroopers descending towards a fight on the surface. At this point, the only music allowable is 'Klendathu Drop'.

Or 'Flight Of The Valkyries'...

Or 'Dies Irae'...

-Oh! Speaking of classical music known today for appearing in movies, check out 'Tubular Bells', best known today for being used in The Exorcist ...

Edited by Adeptus-B

My game's mood music is pretty much a bunch of soundtracks from the Remote Control Productions composers - Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Nick Glennie-Smith, Ramin Djawadi, Harry Gregson-Williams and Brian Tyler's Iron Man 3 soundtrack.

I start the session with the Pacific Rim main title and do a short recap of the past sessions events as though its the main titles for a 70s cop show. I leave things on random play after that, and finish up with the Can You Dig It end titles from Iron Man 3, recapping some of the funnier/cooler bits of the current session.