Warhammer Careers Project

By Terrorist Dwarf, in WFRP House Rules

I've been working on attempting to get a few of the overlooked careers from Warhammer 2e instead into the modern game. All the below careers are not found in 3e core sets or official expansions.

Instead of posting the entire card, I'll post the element with the problematic potential: the career cards. Balance Issues, oversights and thoughts are appreciated.

BASIC CAREERS

Bodyguard

Career Card

Your Successful Guarded Position or Improved Guarded Position increase enemy Misfortune penalties granted by the action cards by 1.

Bone Picker

Career Card

You receive one Expertise die for Resilience checks based on Diseases.

Camp Follower

Career Card

During story mode, once per day per character, remove one stress from a single target.

Charcoal Burner

Career Card

You may ignore one Misfortune die because of conditions with low lighting. You receive 1 Soak from attacks from fire, including Bright magic.

Diestro

Career Card

While carrying a Rapier, you receive a fortune die, which must be expended on enhance action.

Ferryman

During your turn, you may spend 1 fatigue to disengage for free. While on a boat or ship, you may disengage for free without spending a Fatigue.

Field Warden

Career Card

In your hands, Slings are considered Fast weapons.

Fisherman

Career Card

When using a spear, your Weapon Skill rolls gain 2 Boons: Piercing 1. When using a Net with Ballistic Skill, you gain a Fortune Die.

Jailer

Career Card

When a target disengages from you, he receives 1 fatigue.

Kossar

Career Card

When using a non-shield weapon in each hand, you gain +1 Defense and +1 damage.

Marine

Career Card

You receive +1 Defense. When fighting aboard a ship or boat, you receive +2 damage.

Militiaman

Career Card

If you are Fatigued or Distressed, you receive +1 damage. If you are Strained, you receive +2 damage.

Outlaw

Career Card

When you disengage, you receive +2 Defense for that round.

Berserker

Career Card

When you use Weapon Skill against an enemy in Conservative Stance and you are in Reckless stance, you receive one Fortune die.

Protagonist

Career Card

You receive 1 Fortune die with Intimidation and Weapon Skill checks against enemies with a lower Willpower than your own.

Runebearer

Career Card

You may ignore two misfortune dice from rocky, underground, hilly or mountainous terrain penalties.

Seaman

Career Card

Once per turn, you receive a free maneuver to exchange a Reputation or Focus talent. If you are on a boat or ship, when using a Fortune Point to remove a recharge token, remove 2 instead of 1.

Shield Breaker

Career Card

You may carry a Round/kite shield at no encumbrance penalty. Shields gain +1 Defense in your hands.

Squire

Career Card

You receive one free maneuver every turn that may only be used to give an ally a weapon or item.

Toll Keeper

Career Card

When a target attempts to use a skill check against you in the same turn he disengaged, the target receives one misfortune die.

Trademan

Career Card

Tradecraft rolls receive: Two Boons: Put one Fortune point onto the Party Sheet.

Vagabond

Career Card

The Vagabond receives 4 starting Fortune points at the beginning of every session.

Valet

Career Card

Once per session, when an ally within close range gains Fatigue, you may gain the Fatigue instead.

Woodsman

Career Card

If you are struck from the cover of light foliage and underbrush, the enemy gains one Misfortune die.

Kithband Warrior

Career Card

You may socket a Reputation, Focus or Tactics slot into any one slot on the Party sheet.

INTERMEDIATE CAREERS

Artisan

Career Card

Fortune Dice with Tradecraft checks in which you have a specialty give you an Expertise Die instead of a Fortune die.

Highwayman

Career Card

Once per session, when using Ride or Charm checks, you receive one Expertise die.

Interrogator

Career Card

When you use Fortune on an Intimidation check, you gain an Expertise die instead of a Fortune die.

Innkeeper

Career Card

You receive the Inn card.

The Inn card

At the beginning of every session, make a Tradecraft (2d) roll. For every success, you make five silver. If the roll did not succeed, for every sword, the Innskeeper must pay 5 silver out of pocket. Every comet grants you one gold. A boon grants the Inn one Reputation point. A bane grants the Inn one Bad Reputation point. A Chaos Star indicates a crisis, usually worth 1 gold in repairs or damages. A Good reputation can be spend on any Fellowship check to give one Fortune die. A Bad reputation point gives the Innkeeper one Misfortune die on a check of the GM's choising.

Upgrades:

An Innskeeper may purchase a permanent Fortune die for the beginning of session Tradecraft roll, during his career for 1 advance each. These advances count as Innskeeper career advances.

As well, the Innskeeper may increase the value of each success and failure by giving double the value in gold.

Fence

Career Card

You gain two fortune dice when haggling for illegal goods.

Friar

Career Card

You receive two fortune dice to Resilience and Discipline checks involving temptation and corruption.

Mate

Career Card

Once per session, you may remove all recharge tokens on an exhausted talent on the Party sheet.

Politician

Career Card

During social encounters your actions gain: 2 Boons: heal 1 stress to a target of your choice within close range.

Racketeer

Career Card

Skill rolls made against the Racketeer receive one Misfortune die if they have lower Strength than the Racketeer.

Spy

Career Card

When making Guile or Intuition, checks, you may remove two Misfortune dice from the pool.

Targeteer

Career Card

Once per session, you may ignore all Misfortune dice from a Ballistic skill check.

ADVANCED CAREERS

Empire Engineer

Career Card

You may invest Fortune dice into items to improve their function in which you have a specialty. When the item is used it gives one Fortune die to all dice rolls involved in it's function until the end of the session.

Explorer

Career Card

You may ignore one terrain-based Misfortune die to movement and actions performed in any terrain.

Ghost Strider

Career Card

While hiding, you receive one free prepare maneuver when using Ballistic Skill.

Sea Captain

Career Card

The Sea Captain gains the special Party Sheet, the Captain's Crew .

Captain's Crew

10 Tension

Party, Advanced, Social, Seafaring

Sea Captain only

Tension 5: Everyone except the Captain suffers 2 stress

Tension 10: The Captain gains stress and fatigue equal to the number of players with stress, then tension resets to zero. Afterward, everyone else gains 1 stress and 1 fatigue.

The Sea Captain can allow other characters to use his own Action Cards as long as they are within Close Range and have all requirements.

Two Any, One Focus

2 Boons: The Sea Captain may remove a charge counter from one his actions.

2 Boons: The Sea Captain may remove a charge counter from one of his talents.

2 Boons: The Sea Captain may remove an exhausted talent and replace it with one of his own talents.

While on the Captain's ship, when a character uses Fortune points, he receives an Expertise die instead of a Fortune die.

Outlaw Chief

Career Card

Once per session, during your turn, all allies within close range may disengage.

Steward

Career Card

Fine items cost x7 instead of x10 the cost. Average items cost x3/4 of the cost. Poor items have no change in value. These values are before

Spy Master

Career Card

You may socket this card into the Party Sheet into any slot. Any non-Spy Master may spend 1 Stress, 1 Fatigue to add one Expertise roll to any roll. When making Social actions: 2 Boons: Spymaster recovers 1 Stress.

Thanks.

My long-term goal is to finish careers for Ogre, based on Ogre Kingdoms, Kislev, Bretonnia, Vampire, based on Night's Dark Masters, Wood Elf, Tilea and Estalia cultures. Perhaps a few Avalon careers. I would like to have a few elite and epic classes for specific play-styles introduced by not completed in future expansions, such as Generals.

I would be interested in doing Halfling, but lack of source material makes things difficult. Dwarf and High Elves have gotten enough love from other supplements: the fan-book for High Elves and the official dwarf supplement.

My true ultimate goal is to eventually work on a Lizardman project, with Skink, Saurus, Chameleon and Kroxigor playable characters.

Edited by Terrorist Dwarf

Nice work!

A couple of things come to mind.

1. FFG made a number of the careers far more of a catch all than previously. The Thug career for instance was supposed to include Bodyguards and Protagonists. Are you going to use the complete Thug career card for Bodyguards and Protagonists and just have seperate career ability cards or are you going to have competely different career cards for them? Having different career ability cards for the Thug career would be an interesting twist as long as the cards are balanced to not favour any one of the options.

2. Strange Aeons has all the card types for you to create these cards for real. Have a look if you haven't seen it.

3. Have you thought of publishing all this on a site like Liber Fanatica. Here's a link to the website: http://www.liberfanatica.net/ . Also on a website like Liber Fanatica it is a lot easier to find talented artists to do the career card illustrations for you.

Nice work!

A couple of things come to mind.

1. FFG made a number of the careers far more of a catch all than previously. The Thug career for instance was supposed to include Bodyguards and Protagonists. Are you going to use the complete Thug career card for Bodyguards and Protagonists and just have seperate career ability cards or are you going to have competely different career cards for them? Having different career ability cards for the Thug career would be an interesting twist as long as the cards are balanced to not favour any one of the options.

2. Strange Aeons has all the card types for you to create these cards for real. Have a look if you haven't seen it.

3. Have you thought of publishing all this on a site like Liber Fanatica. Here's a link to the website: http://www.liberfanatica.net/ . Also on a website like Liber Fanatica it is a lot easier to find talented artists to do the career card illustrations for you.

In order,

1. Yes, I've noticed many careers do have overlap. But even a subtle change, like having Strength/Willpower and the Social keyword for a Protagonist can make the difference. Plus, a more flavourful, specific career always wins out over a generic blanket career in my eyes.

2. I've got Strange Aeons on my computer and I'm planning to incorporate the utility in my work. Sadly, a polished version of the careers are still a long ways off. Other concerns are taking my efforts, such as ensuring the careers are flavorful, thematic and work as intended without overshadowing (or undershadowing) other careers.

3. My stick figure illustrations wouldn't be considered professional work? But seriously, I've been considering approaching Liber Fanatica, but a fully realized project is still a ways off.

In order:

1. & 2. Right responses, what I was hoping.

3. Don't worry about the project being a way off. The average issue of Liber Fanatica takes roughly a year to bring to realisation, so there is plenty of time, and we haven't started on the next one just yet. Also on there you will find more people like Emirikol and myself who can help you with advice or other help.

The following conditions and talents are designed to compliment seamen, craftsmen and a few loose ends.

New Conditions

Water-logged

You are counted as having three points of encumbrance.

Watered

Add one misfortune die to all physical actions, plus one failure for every point of Soak from armor.

Submerged

Add two misfortune dice to all actions and Observation checks, plus one failure for every point of Soak from armor.

Add a number of tokens equal to Toughness. Remove a token each round.

All Physical Actions receive: remove 1 token

When no tokens are on the card, you take 1 wound and 1 fatigue at the beginning of the turn.

Add one token for every turn you receive air.

New Tactics Talents

Kossar Trained

While armed with a non-shield weapon in each hand, you may spend a fortune point to gain +1 damage and +1 defense until your next turn. You can only use this ability once per turn.

Water Warrior

You ignore one misfortune die from action penalties from water.

Fish Slayer

You deal +1 damage with Weapon Skill attacks to enemies who are in the water.

Water Ways

You receive +1 defense while in the water.

New Focus Talents

Water Gazer

You add +1 to all Willpower checks while within medium range of a large body of water.

Holy Diver

When you are submerged, you may add 2 tokens to the condition.

Deep Swimmer

While submerged, all checks Observation checks against you receive 2 misfortune dice.

Crafty

When using an item in which you have crafted, you may ignore 1 misfortune die from actions in which the item is involved.

Hard on Weapons

All your Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill with non-magical weapons gain Unreliable 2, but receive +1 damage and -1 CR. If the attack already has Unreliable, decrease the value by 1. A weapon with Unreliable of 0 breaks after use.

New Reputation Talent

Friend to the Sea

Gain +1 fellowship for checks for those who work on or around water.

Forge Fame

You gain one fortune die for social actions against an opponent with a fine item in which you have a Tradecraft specialization.

I've been working on attempting to get a few of the overlooked careers from Warhammer 2e instead into the modern game. All the below careers are not found in 3e core sets or official expansions.

Instead of posting the entire card, I'll post the element with the problematic potential: the career cards. Balance Issues, oversights and thoughts are appreciated.

You posted a lot of great ideas for career abilities. For the most part I like what you've done, but a number of them have rough edges that could use some polish. Here's some feedback on the ones for Basic Careers. I may provide feedback on the others later if that would be appreciated, but the basics seemed like a good place to start.

Bodyguard: Great ability. Feels like there might be a more elegant way to phrase it, but I like what it does. You might try it as "When your Guarded Position action adds dice to an action, add 1 additional misfortune die." You don't have to actually mention Improved Guarded Position because that card itself says it counts as Guarded Position for all effects and purposes.

Bone Picker: Awesome. Given how cruel the game's disease system is I'm in favor of this power-level for the ability. Diseases are way more deadly than wounds, so having a career option specifically for players who've been burned by that is a nice addition to the game.

Camp Follower: Made me smile. Well done.

Charcoal Burner: I don't particularly like the low-lighting thing. Does it represent the character actually lighting a small fire to see better? If so, that should be made more clear. The soak power sounds good, until your realize that as written doesn't help at all with "burning building" terrain, "scorched" condition, etc. Such effects tend to either inflict Fatigue, or else say "suffer 1 wound" which means they bypass soak.

Diestro: For the sake of clarity (or preventing abuse) should probably say "wielding" or "using" instead of "carrying".

Ferryman: I'm not understanding the first sentence… what makes this "free" if you're paying the normal 1 fatigue to do it? Are you just restating the normal rule for clarity's sake, or is there something I'm missing here?

Field Warden: Rapiers and Spears are widely regarded as the best weapons in the game, because of how good "Fast" is. I don't know if it'd be a problem on a Sling (as there's not many great attack cards you can use with a sling), but it's probably worth playtesting in a one-shot to be sure.

Fisherman: A spear is one of the best weapons in the game, and a net is probably the worst. I think the power you wrote here is fine and balanced, but I doubt the second half of the career ability will see much use.

Jailer: Good power, but I'd avoid the use of the word "target" as it implies you have to do something to them in order to trigger the ability. I recommend "Whenever an enemy disengages from you, he or she receives 1 fatigue."

Kossar: This seems over-powered for a basic career. The character will almost always have the bonuses active. A reliable +1 damage is on par with what many Intermediate- or Advanced-careers give. That alone is pushing the power envelope, and +1 Defense on top makes it just too good. (See my "Note About Damage", below.)

Marine: +2 Damage is probably too good for a basic career's special ability. I would reduce it to +1 Damage, especially since you're also giving a Defense boost. +2 damage is better than most damage-based Advanced careers give. (See my "Note About Damage", below.)

Militiaman: I'm less concerned about this damage boost (despite it being larger) simply because it requires such a dire situation (multiple turns to set up, black dice on actions, plus a temporary insanity) to trigger. That said, the wording is potentially confusing… rather than "you receive +1 damage" it should say "your attacks receive +1 damage." As written, it could be misunderstood as you suffering damage instead of inflicting it.

Outlaw: Disengaging can, per the RAW, be done for free every turn if its your only manoeuvre. So this is effectively +2 Defense _every_round_ once melee has started. That seems too strong to me for a basic career. I'd reduce it to +1 Defense.

Berserker: Flavorful, balanced ability. I like how the specification of Weapon Skill rules out the use of some of the more unusual attack cards that might feel too high-brow for a Barbarian anyway. Well done.

Protagonist: Good.

Runebearer: The power level here is fine, but it's worth noting that there's really not many (any?) existing terrain cards that provide a penalty this would eliminate. In order for this career ability to matter at all, the GM will have to go out of their way to create situations for it. (The same could be said about the Wood Elf racial ability from the core set, though, so perhaps it's not such a big deal.)

Seaman: I'm a little worried about the recharge-token power, but would have to see it in play to say for certain if it's going to be an issue. If the campaign involves a lot of time on boats, this is gonna be huge. Honestly, the talent-portion alone is probably a strong enough power for a basic career. Perhaps the second ability could be limited to "once per session"?

Squire: Very nice. Possibly a little under-powered, but very flavorful. I imagine it would be fun for the player to try to create situations where this was useful.

Toll Keeper: I really like what the power is trying to do, but I think it may fail in play due to the lack of concise timing or declaration rules. Whether or not an NPC wants to disengage on its turn is often a function of whether or not the action they took succeeded. Between that and boon-effects that generate free manoeuvres, I suspect the misfortune die here will frequently be avoided.

Tradesman: Interesting. Not exactly certain what it's supposed to be simulating. I imagine PCs would be tempted to make a lot of little trinkets and repairs right before anticipated battles in hopes of bumping up the fortune pool. That's actually kinda cool, now that I think about it.

Vagabond: Should probably be phrased as "You start each session with +1 additional Fortune Point" instead, so that it stacks with other abilities that do the same thing (such as the Ranald Faith talent).

Valet: Sweet. I like it.

Woodsman: The phrasing is somewhat confusing. It's nicely poetic as-written, but not mechanically clear.

Kithband Warrior : Presumably you mean "Talent" in the first of the two uses of "Slot" in the text. Also, since Basic careers only ever have two talent slots, you might consider limiting this ability to just the two talent types that the career can access (whatever they are).

Note About Damage: I think that you're giving away bonus damage rather more freely than the base game does. I know that +1 damage doesn't sound like all that much, but it's actually a very hefty bonus for a basic career.

Compare your Kossar (+1 damage and +1 defense effectively all the time) or Marine (+2 damage on a boat, and +1 defense all the time) to the existing damage-boosting careers. Both of those seem much better than Thug to me, especially if the campaign is in a coastal region.

• Thug is the only official Basic career that boosts damage. +1 damage is it's only career ability, and it only applies against Henchman and targets with lower Strength than the PCs.

There are several other career abilities that boost damage, but they are all at least Intermediate careers.

• Assassin (+1 damage for 1 boon, +1 crit for 2 boons)
  • Giant-Slayer (+1 damage in melee only, and remember slayers are not allowed to wear armour)
  • Prophet of Doom (+1 to +5 damage in melee, every 4th round, and you have to exhaust it before knowing if you hit or not. PS: the character must have at least one insanity)
  • Witch-hunter (+1 damage only to chaos targets)
  • Witch-hunter Captain (+1 to +3 total damage, but only to chaos targets and only if you roll 1 to 3 total boons).

In closing: Overall, I think there's a lot of good work and great ideas in your posts.

We are on the same page. The above document is very rough, nearly a first draft. I'm from the school of editing that believes in reading for mistakes, errors and omissions at least two weeks.

I have been working on the project, but have not updated the page. Some of the schools have been edited since my last posting. Now to address a few key responses.
Charcoal Burner: The intent behind the Charcoal burners power was to grant humans a chance to negate low-light penalties. The Charcoal Burner has changed to allow himself and all allies in close range to reduce one Misfortune dice as long as the Charcoal Burner is carrying a light source.
Ferryman: Ferryman has also changed. The Ferryman can disengage to move to medium distance with one fatigue.
Field Warden: I was concerned with the Field Warden as well, but considering the race played has to be a halfling...
Kossar: Originally, the Kossar was based on the Diestro talent. But, after further research, I've come to notice canon Kislev Kossar use two-handed bows in one hand while carrying a hand weapon. The career card has been adjusted to reflect the newly acquired knowledge.
Marine: I was concerned with the Marine's ability, but I wanted a strong incentive for players to retreat to boats or ships. I may need to ratchet back the values.
Outlaw: Yes, +1 Defence does sound better.
Seaman: Seaman will take more time for consideration. I'll reconsider the power in the near future.
Toll Keeper: You are probably right. Granting a short-lived condition may be the better alternative.
Tradesman: It's an incentive for Tradesmen to go out of their way to use Tradecraft.
Note About Damage: Yes, I did go overboard with the damage bonuses. In the next draft they will become less prevalent.

Did this project get completed or die?