A few general rules questions from a newbie GM

By BattleZone, in WFRP Rules Questions

1) What happens when a monster suffers recharge tokens on all his attacks and his turn comes up next and none of them are recharged? Is there such a thing as a free attack? Or does he have to pass?

2) In the Tome of Adventure under ORC (page 61), there is a white die symbol next to his toughness, what is that for. I know the STR one is for when he fights dwarves but what is the one next to his toughness for?

3) some of the crits for monsters make no sense. For example I flipped over a wound card and the crit was merely "increases severity" but really who cares? Its not like the monster is going to get treatment so basically for the players the crit was worthless

4) what is the general consensus on how to use Aggression, Cunning and Expertise with monsters?

I dont understand when I as a GM would want to burn these points or how

Most criticals are poor when they hit NPCs. You can always let them do their severity in damage. The criticals are not really well thought out in terms of being fun og great against NPCs.

Most criticals are poor when they hit NPCs. You can always let them do their severity in damage. The criticals are not really well thought out in terms of being fun og great against NPCs.

Agreed, the criticals are severely underwhelming when applied to NPCs. Many (most?) of them have affects that do not really have an effect until after combat. So I have also just switched to them causing their severity rating in extra damage.

I was thinking about something else as well - just some different ideas:

• when you give a critical to an NPC, you roll 2 expertise dice. On a sigmars comet they die if the severity rating matches or is greater than their toughness. Each hammer gives them wounds equal to the severity rating.
  • You could simply let criticals with a severity rating matching or higher than their toughness kill them.
  • Alternatively you could rule that if the combined severity rating of criticals you give to an NPC is higher than their toughness, they die.
  • Or if the combined severity rating of criticals you give to an NPC is higher than their toughness, they become badly injured and suffer an extra challenge die to all actions for the remainder of the encounter.

There are lots of ways we can use the severity rating to create a standard rule where criticals become valuable for players, but not unbalanced. I'll have to think about this for a bit. But something along those lines.

1) What happens when a monster suffers recharge tokens on all his attacks and his turn comes up next and none of them are recharged? Is there such a thing as a free attack? Or does he have to pass?

2) In the Tome of Adventure under ORC (page 61), there is a white die symbol next to his toughness, what is that for. I know the STR one is for when he fights dwarves but what is the one next to his toughness for?

3) some of the crits for monsters make no sense. For example I flipped over a wound card and the crit was merely "increases severity" but really who cares? Its not like the monster is going to get treatment so basically for the players the crit was worthless

4) what is the general consensus on how to use Aggression, Cunning and Expertise with monsters?

I dont understand when I as a GM would want to burn these points or how

1) Most creatures would still be able to use the basic melee or ranged action cards (which have zero recharge). Those are the closest thing to free attacks you get.

2) For checks using toughness. Resilience probably being the most common example.

3) The crits will still accumulate and eventually kill the monster when it's got more crits than its toughness score. But sure, it's closer to worthless than other crits would be.

4) Burn them fast and furiously with reckless npc:s on their most dangerous attacks and use them carefully on both defense and attack with conservative npc:s.

I had my first real GM session this weekend and we where playing the free introduction adventure (or should I say encounter). The Beastmen could hit incredible hard using all their Agression, Cunning and Expertise in a single attack action. For example the Wargor used 6 Agression, 2 Cunning and 2 Expertise for a whopping 7 Fortune dice, 6 Reckless dice, 2 Expertise dice (+1 Fortune die for attacking a human). The targets defence was 1 Challange die and 6 Misfortune Dice but it was nothing to stop the brute force of the Wargor. As a GM I can take out anyone I feel like it seems.

Edited by HashKey64

There are some limits: one yellow per round. Otherwise, yes, using additional aggression on the first attack is wise for the monster. I would reserve them to be used against the heavy armored characters and players that you don't like ;)

The ACE dice are kind of there so you don't have to detail every single skill that the creature might be good at.

There are some limits: one yellow per round. Otherwise, yes, using additional aggression on the first attack is wise for the monster. I would reserve them to be used against the heavy armored characters and players that you don't like ;)

The ACE dice are kind of there so you don't have to detail every single skill that the creature might be good at.

Yeah, your right about the 2 Expertise dice - I used one too many. Next time my players will be in fears facing another fight - they felt very vulnerable. The Minstrel still have a nasty critical damage he can't get to heal properly (low toughness and no training).

One note for the original poster: I allow the players to choose criticals against enemies: do they want the effect on the card, or the extra damage in severity at the bottom.

Good call on the choice I will do that.