Time to use skills

By Split Light, in Game Mechanics

Something I'd like to see is some clarification of how long it takes to do certain actions. Off the top of my head I can think of two talents that cut the time to do certain actions in half. I don't have the book in front of me, but I know theirs one for making an Astrogation check, and I want to say theirs one for slicing and or computers.

There's nothing in any book though that says how long these acts should take. I don't need specifics but it would be nice if their was a bit of guidance as to when you can enter hyperspace and how long it would take.

A talent that cuts time in half is much less useful if you have a GM who arbitrarily decides it takes two rounds, as opposed to one who decides it should take 6.

Astrogation needs a strong definition on that score. I've been using 4 combat actions to calculate the course, and a 5th to engage it, all using 2 purple difficulty, for calculation under fire.

Note that the Navicomputer takes over two rounds to calculate in the adventure included.

Also slicing can easily take a couple of rounds to several minutes, survival checks for tracking, path finding, shelter searching and food gathering can take up to several hours, depending on circumstances. At least I assume so, this is why some talents decrease time taken by 25%-50% for certain skill checks.

Now, if such extended checks need a check every round, or one that makes them unavailable for several rounds, that if guess is up to each group to decide upon, as there is nothing as far as I know about this intense book.

Oh, forgot to mention - I've got a formula I use for figuring astrogation calculation times: Normal time: 1 minute per hour of jump expected duration. Hasty - 1 combat round per hour of jump expected. (I'm assuming combat rounds are about 5-15 sec.)

Oh, forgot to mention - I've got a formula I use for figuring astrogation calculation times: Normal time: 1 minute per hour of jump expected duration. Hasty - 1 combat round per hour of jump expected. (I'm assuming combat rounds are about 5-15 sec.)

Well, the game itself implies that a combat turn can be up to a minute long or thereabouts. Gone is the d20 paradigm of six seconds per action.

Also, considering that many hyperspace jumps can take several days, I don't think that, with a navicomputer, it would take an hour or more to plot an astrogation course, so one minute per hour seems a bit extreme to me.

Well, the game itself implies that a combat turn can be up to a minute long or thereabouts. Gone is the d20 paradigm of six seconds per action.

Also, considering that many hyperspace jumps can take several days, I don't think that, with a navicomputer, it would take an hour or more to plot an astrogation course, so one minute per hour seems a bit extreme to me.

It takes a 2.5-day (trans-regional) trip to hit an hour of prep calc. Considering that the 2.5 day jump is covering 2000-3000 parsecs - an area bigger than the entirety of published Traveller space, and an area about as big as from the far ends of klingon to romulan space in Star Trek... I'm good with that taking an hour for Barry Backwater Bumpkin, and 20-30 minutes for Quelben the Duros Ace Pilot...

Aramis, what do you base the assumed travelling time on? Do you have your own home made table? use d6 sources? I'd like to have a look see.

For astrogation I usually require five rounds (give or take) of dedicated Actions - I require one roll at the beginning of this time, so reduced calculation time can happen given good enough results (throughout the rest of the astrogation calculation time the navigator can only perform manoeuvres that does not require the character to leave the immediate area). I also require about five rounds or so to reach a jump point outside the gravity well of a planet (depending on if its a moon or planet this time is from when taking off [moon] or when in the upper reached of the atmosphere [planet]). Now this should probably vary more if I cared enough about realism, some ships are faster, some planets are smaller than others, and so on...

Edited by Jegergryte

I base my times upon several factors, the most important of which is the Atlas of the SW universe.

That, and the table on p 178... trans-regional flight is 3-7 days. In region is 0.5 — 3 days, and "within a sector" is 10 — 24 hours"... which I think the sector line has an issue - it should be as low as 3 or 4.

I also base it upon d6 sources - the nifty astrogation table in WEG's core rules is a nice start.

When I start a campaign, I often build a sector. I do this by creating X-Y-Z coordinates. I then use the pythagorean formula (h^2)=(x^2)+(y^2)+(z^2) to find a base distance, then adjust for what I want - I'll adjust down as low as 50% or up as much as 3000% for local conditions. I'll then build a cross tab table.

I'll just pick a nearby major world for "long range" jumps - noting that the distances are not the sum total.

I made up some quick house rules for astrogation time. I based it on the core rulebook, which states base difficulty of Easy and then add to that based on damage, hasty entry, and so on.

Since the talent Galaxy Mapper removes setback dice (and there are no situations warranting setback dice laid out in the rulebook) I use a system based on how well-travelled the route is. Most major hyperlanes receive no setback dice, somewhat travelled routes have 1 setback die, and so on.

Then I calculate time taken based on the following: Base time is four rounds, plus another two rounds per setback die. Galaxy Mapper halves these, of course. The players roll when they start plotting, and reduce the time taken by another round for every success beyond the first. Failure still gets them into hyperspace, but adds one round to the time taken for every failure result.