Dave Filoni says Stormtroopers suck

By ErikB, in General Discussion

I suppose that does make sense, Star Wars being an American invention. If it were British, it would have been a lot less confusing. :/

General tends to be the province of Army, it's the equivalent rank of Admiral. I, too, saw this to be an indication to Veers was an officer of the Imperial Army.

It could make as much sense as BSG where Colonel Tigh sits amidst an otherwise naval rank structure despite very obviously being naval himself.

If you're talking nBSG, it's a holdover from oBSG...

But oBSG had a really mixed rank structure, which appears to me to be including the following in roughly this sequence:

• Commander
  • Colonel
  • Captain
  • Lieutenant
  • Ensign
  • Flight Officer
  • Flight Sergeant
  • Corporal
  • Warrior 1st Grade
  • Recruit

That list includes only ranks mentioned by name. Warrior 1st grade implies additional grades, and is in the pilot. Jolly is a flight sergeant, there's a corporal overseeing recruits in the episode with the Nomen, Omega and Athena are both Flight Officers (and Athena later is Lieutenant), Flight sergeant might imply another sergeant grade, or it could be that NCO's are titled by duty field. The other two commanders seen (Kronus and Cain) both defer to Adama - this implies a rank difference. Likewise, Col Tolan defers to Col Tigh in a manner implying that Tigh is a superior. Likewise, certain lieutenants are apparently a higher grade.

Major is used in the oBSG novels... above captain, below colonel.

oBSG has a far more clear military structure than we see in all of the movies for Star Wars. I'm starting to think maybe I should work up an oBSG adaptation of the SW engine.

For comparison, we see the following "ranks" in the Rebellion used on screen.

Admiral

General

Captain

Commander

We don't have clear context for commander versus captain, and captain is potentially just a courtesy title for Solo as a ship's master.

The Empire, we have

Grand Moff

Moff

General & Admiral

Captain

Until one gets into the EU materials, at least.

Edited by aramis

General tends to be the province of Army, it's the equivalent rank of Admiral. I, too, saw this to be an indication to Veers was an officer of the Imperial Army.

Gets weird when Ackbar (overall fleet commander) is called "Admiral"; Lando (in charge of the starfighter wings) is called "General"; and Han (in charge of the terrestrial mission) is also called "General."

Yeah, I think I've learned that second-guessing Star Wars, and comparing it to the real world, only leads to headaches and lots of raised brows.

It's funny how people who want to play the space nazis often say that.

--

Gets weird when Ackbar (overall fleet commander) is called "Admiral"; Lando (in charge of the starfighter wings) is called "General"; and Han (in charge of the terrestrial mission) is also called "General."

Like I say, Ackbar is navy so uses navy ranks. Lando is the air force so uses US air force ranks (and hence general) and Han is the army.

The RAF uses Air Chief Marshal as its general/admiral equivalent, but since aeroplanes are a relatively new invention the term only dates back to after the Great War.

Coming from a space-terrorist fanboy, that means little, sparky. ;)

I just think the Heroic Empire deserves more respect for fighting bravely against the terroristic, Evil Rebel Alliance.

By the by, Erik, at the time of the WW, would you have signed up? Or pissed yourself beneath a bedsheet saying that you can't fight because of a blister? I'm just curious, 'cause your hatred of the nazis suggests that you might've... but I doubt you'd have the bollocks to do anything more than send Hitler a harsh-worded letter. From another guy's pen and paper. Using his name and details. After moving somewhere else to ensure that you couldn't reap what you sow.

Edited by Shakespearian_Soldier

There is no point in arguing with a fool. He'll just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Truer and wiser words were never spoken.