Duty and size of group

By eldath, in Game Mechanics

Now that I have my copy I have been reading up on Duty among other things and I have concerns. Take two groups and put them through similar missions with an identical Duty reward at the end (I know it should be based on their performance but lets just assume they were as good or as bad as each other). If one group has two players and one has four, the larger group will increase in contributor rank quicker, thus gaining rewards and be more likely to have their Duty activate than the smaller group. Additionally, any player who buys Duty at character generation is spending xp to help the other players gain rank quicker at no cost to themselves which seems unfair.

One of my issues is how likely is it that one group of rebels will increase all rank at exactly the same time? I would think not very, now I realize that this is a game mechanic that is designed to easily track how the characters are progressing within the rebel alliance but it seems a little off.

One thought might be for the point at which rank is increased to be lowered to between 20 and 25 and have each characters Duty count solely to their own increase in rank. Since you could effectively give Duty bonuses to individual characters based on their performance in the mission, that might change the promotions to being per character rather than the entire group at once.

What do others think?

E

So, what you're suggesting is basically to tie the contribution rank to the individual?

So that once one character has reached, whatever point, his Contribution Rank increases - and the rest of the group won't be affected by this increase (in mechanical terms anyway... promotions and in-game stuff excluded).

OR: that each member of the group should reach this level of Duty, and then the CR of the group is increased?

So, what you're suggesting is basically to tie the contribution rank to the individual?

So that once one character has reached, whatever point, his Contribution Rank increases - and the rest of the group won't be affected by this increase (in mechanical terms anyway... promotions and in-game stuff excluded).

OR: that each member of the group should reach this level of Duty, and then the CR of the group is increased?

Basically I am wondering whether it would be better for the individuals to increase in CR rather than the group. Obviously this will effect the Group CR thresholds with regard to the reputation with empire/alliance, but I am not sure that would be bad.

E

I think that you should base your rewards using a chart much like the Obligation Chart in EotE. If you have a larger group than each PC should get a smaller reward. That way CR will go up despite the number of PCs at the same rate.

The problem with that is that you are discriminating against the larger group just to keep the numbers at parity. Additionally it doesn't cover the problem with everyone getting promoted at the same time which just doesn't work for me or the fact that anyone who buys Duty at character generation is boosting the other members of the group.

E

The problem with that is that you are discriminating against the larger group just to keep the numbers at parity. Additionally it doesn't cover the problem with everyone getting promoted at the same time which just doesn't work for me or the fact that anyone who buys Duty at character generation is boosting the other members of the group.

E

You are being way, way too literal, here.

An increase in Contribution Rank doesn't necessarily mean that everyone gets an actual promotion in terms of their rank or position; it just means that the group is earning more clout, more respect, making more of a name for themselves. The PCs are supposed to be members of a team, and it absolutely makes sense that a team would distinguish itself as a group.

Also, what exactly is the problem with a player paying to boost their Duty? When the group hits that Contribution Rank threshold, they all benefit. Why not help make that happen sooner? This isn't D&D where you have to fight to make sure everyone gets a share of the treasure. (Also, having a larger individual Duty score makes it more likely that you'll be the one to get the Wound Threshold bonus when rolls come up, so that's another incentive right there.)