It's Not That Bad & medpacs

By verdantsf, in Game Mechanics

AoR Beta pg. 100

It's Not That Bad

Activation: Active (Incidental, Out of Turn)

Ranked: No

Trees: Medic

Once per game session when an ally is about to suffer a critical injury, the character can take an It's Not That Bad incidental to make a Hard Medicine check. If successful, the ally does not gain the critical injury and does not suffer any of the normal effects (although the attack that caused the critical injury still deals its damage as normal).

It's an incidental, while grabbing a medpac from a backpack is a maneuver. Does the special time quality of this talent also assume the character can retrieve and use a medpac if one is available for the extra boost die?

Edited by verdantsf

Perhaps if the attacker rolled enough Threat on the critical attack to grant the PC an extra maneuver? I dunno.

I might be inclined to allow it just if the medic had a medpac on his person. It's an incidental out of turn, and once per session.

I wouldn't let an out-of-turn incidental allow a character to take a free maneuver as well. The talent is already doing what it does, and I think adding a free action to it is a bit too good.

Another odd thing is that it doesn't mention the range between the character and ally.

It's kinda like the bad motivator talent in that respect. I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

I think the lack of range specification is intentional. Flavor-wise, I think the talent is supposed to represent a frantic shout of reassurance in the heat of combat, which doesn't necessarily require close proximity.

Consider that the name of this talent was one of Princess Leia's line in RotJ, after she takes a grazing shot to her shoulder during the Battle of Endor. I think that's where this talent gets it's cinematic inspiration from.

But yes, heat of battle is definitely where it's at. This isn't healing a Crit, this is using either your medical know-how (it's actually not that bad) or just giving your ally a "placebo" statement to bolster him through the fight ("come on, It's not that bad").

I wouldn't let an out-of-turn incidental allow a character to take a free maneuver as well. The talent is already doing what it does, and I think adding a free action to it is a bit too good.

How about if the medic has Quick Draw and is engaged with the wounded ally?

Edited by verdantsf

How about if the medic has Quick Draw and is engaged with the wounded ally?

That's not a bad idea.

I don't know. I don't think the talent is meant to entail anything more than the Combat Medic looking at the wound and proclaiming it as just a flesh wound. Obviously there was still some damage and that will need medical attention but a Medikit shouldn't be part of the Incidental amount of time the talent takes.

I see no reason that a medpack is required, that there should be a manoeuvre involved to produce stims or said medpack. It's a talent, it magical :ph34r: just like Never run out of ammo talent (which I've forgotten what is called, extra clip or whatever).

It's once per session (or once per 4 hours session if you care about these things, some do). In some session that'll be the life saver, in others it hardly going to be noticed - if its combat heavy.

I don't see why a maneuver is required. This is not somebody doing anything medical on the target. This is a flavor ability that allows the medic to give a quick look, and some inspirational words. It's basically damage reduction, usable on others.

It could be as simple as, "It's okay, don't worry about it, I got stuff, I'll patch you up later. You're fine."

Annnnd right-tools-for-the-right-job Boost.

(The OP wasn't worried so much about whether the medpac is required, but rather whether having a medpac available would grant a Boost die as normal)

Edited by awayputurwpn

I missed that somehow... Uhmmm. I don't think so, but why not?

Edited by Jegergryte

I don't see why a maneuver is required. This is not somebody doing anything medical on the target. This is a flavor ability that allows the medic to give a quick look, and some inspirational words. It's basically damage reduction, usable on others.

It's utterly NON-simulationist, and is pretty much a magic effect.

That's a problem for a large subset of the player base.

I dislike it, but don't find it inherently broken. I like a good bit of simulation in my gaming.