Stealthy Slicer Vs. not so stealthy Infiltrator?

By Zuloth, in Game Mechanics

Hmm looking at the Slicer and Infiltrator specializations, it seems a bit strange that the Slicer is potentially stealthier out of the box than the Infiltrator.

The slicer can get 2 in Stealth while the Infiltrator only gets Stealth from the Spy Career.

I know the Slicer Specialization is from EotE so it will not be changed, but I think the Infiltrator should have Stealth as Specialization skill.

I also find it strange that the Commando does not have the Stealth skill, but that has been commented upon by others before.

Just My simple opinion.

Regards

Zuloth

Only gets the possibility for 2 free skill points in Stealth, you mean? You can buy the second dot in Stealth with your free XP for the Infiltrator, and have an extra skill as a career skill (which will make it cheaper to increase) too.

A slicer spy SHOULD be stealthy! He's got little-to-no combat training, so you'd better hope he's sneaky :)

I do find it odd that someone buying the Infiltrator specialization from a different career would not receive Stealth as a career skill. However, it's position inside the Spy career is telling: an infiltrator is likely a "Spynet agent" type, and while they do need to rely on stealth initially, it's far more important to have training in hand-to-hand combat and general know-how. Always having a backup plan, being ready for everything. So if Stealth fails, you've got your knife and your fists to quietly take down the opposition.

Streetwise is important for a well-connected agent. Skulduggery is needed to get into places you aren't supposed to be.

I dunno. I do agree that Stealth would be fitting, but the question is, is it better than any of the other bonus career skills?

Edited by awayputurwpn

Slicer is duplicated from Edge - it's unlikely to be changed.

I'd consider, not adding Stealth, but either brawl or ranged (light) in place of Deception (which they get anyway from the career).

I guess its a thing about kick ass infiltrators that makes me think unarmed combat, and tiny guns. So perhaps its fine as is really... I don't know.

I hear infiltrator and I think of undercover work. For that, Deception and Skulduggery are more important than Stealth.

I hear infiltrator and I think of undercover work. For that, Deception and Skulduggery are more important than Stealth.

True that.

Bavarian Fire Drill.

Why go through all the work of not being seen when you can make others think that you're supposed to be there in the first place? :lol:

All the more reason why trees balanced in that game should stay in that game.

I think of all three of those skills and probably the last would be Perception.

I'm not seeing an intended power balance difference between EotE and AoR. Just a focus on different themes and different Careers/Specializations to best explore those themes. Even the Force system seems pretty balanced as a way to include the objectively supernatural/higher-powered characters in a way that isn't game-breaking, unlike the handling of supernatural power stuff in other FFG lines.

You could totally play little-r rebels (unaffiliated with the Alliance) sticking it to The Imperial Man in EotE and you could totally play undercover, questionable-morals-having rabblerousers who fight mostly through social combat in AoE. Just depends on what kind of game the players and GM want.

I'm not seeing an intended power balance difference between EotE and AoR. Just a focus on different themes and different Careers/Specializations to best explore those themes. Even the Force system seems pretty balanced as a way to include the objectively supernatural/higher-powered characters in a way that isn't game-breaking, unlike the handling of supernatural power stuff in other FFG lines.

You could totally play little-r rebels (unaffiliated with the Alliance) sticking it to The Imperial Man in EotE and you could totally play undercover, questionable-morals-having rabblerousers who fight mostly through social combat in AoE. Just depends on what kind of game the players and GM want.

There's an unintended one, tho'. The reason Luke shines brighter than Han as a pilot can be shown by him being an Edge Colonist with Bra 2, Agi 5, Int 2, Cun 2, Wil 2, Pre 2 vs Han's having started as an Imperial officer, not being able to get that, and then adding the smuggler specs later, so he is at best Agi 4 (and probably Cun 3)...