What's the best investment for a next purchase?

By achobo, in WFRP Gamemasters

I picked up WFRP Core Box last week on a whim last week just because I like the setting, and was surprised to find that is absolutely love the system. I talked with my gaming group and after our current adventure using a different system is completed they are willing to give WFRP a try. Now getting ready to prepare a short campaign introducing both the system and setting.

My question is, after the Core Box Set, what would be the next thing to invest in for an aspiring WFRP gamemaster? I looked through the catalog and it seems like a lot of things are smaller portions of what I already have, such as the Player's Guide and GM's Guide. What would you suggest as a next purchase?

Edited by achobo

I would get the player's guide and the gathering storm.

Players guide has all the extra careers and spell stuff you need.

Take a look at my house rules in my sig below.

download the Liber Fanatica 7.

Best,

jh

Edited by Emirikol

Gathering storm is good if you want to test out the combat system, but as a campaign it's very poor. It's really just 4 random events ending in four different fights. I would get witches song instead, or the winds of magic, as that scenario is alright too. But witches song is interresting.

But with wfrp I'd say that there isn't anything I'd tell you not to buy as everything you buy add new stuff and more options to the game. So it's more the route towards having it all perhaps. I'd wait with the enemy within for instance, until you have a lot of the expansions, so you can run the game in it's full glory.

Gathering Storm probably depends a bit on the group and what kind of characters they make. The WFRP scenarios tend to be written very much for wandering "adventurers". Which does not really fit many gaming groups and the kind of characters they have made.

Personally, I prefer to make my own campaigns so I can just make stuff up if I have to without fearing it might contradict something in the adventure. And I can tailor it much more to fit with the characters that are being played.

After the Core box, I would say the first thing to get is the Adventurers Toolkit . This fills out the selection of careers and action cards (It's a bit thin with just the core set). Personally I think the Adventurers Toolkit should have been part of the core set. It's like they carved out 1/3 of the Core set and sold it in a separate box.

The Guides and Vaults are generally not needed. They are just reprints of what you already get in the proper boxes. Although the players can benefit from a players guide to plan their characters etc without borrowing all your cards and stuff.

For other expansions I would honestly take a look at what careers your players chose and what kind of emphasis you want on your adventure.

Winds Of Magic : More wizard careers, spells and wizard orders. Also, rules for mutations and Tzeentch, the god of manipulation, magic and mutation.

Signs of Faith : More priestly careers, invocations and faiths. Also, rules for dieases and Nurgle, the god of pestilence, plague and decay.

Omens of War : More warrior careers, combat action cards and mounts. Also, rules for permanent injuries and Khorne, the god of war, carnage and bloodshed.

Lure of Power : More noble careers, social action cards and followers(I think that was here?). Also, rules for "social battles" and Slaanesh, the seductive god of pleasure and pain.

In time, you should have all four of these (although you can hold off on Lure Of Power. Personally I feel it brings less to the table than the others unless you're running a campaign set in high society) as they add very iconic mechanics to the game.

Edited by Ralzar

Thank you all for the replies.

Does anyone know why the Adventurer's Toolkit is unavailable on the site store? There are some up on Amazon, but they are like $50. Is this already out of print and considered a collector's item?

Also, no one mentioned the creature guides. Do they not add enough to be worth the investment?

It's unavailable? That's unfortunate. I'm betting it's just temporary.

The creature guide is OK i guess, but I would actually rather reccomend the creature vault. The guide includes a bunch of monster descriptions (which any Warhammer fan will know or can google) and a list of stats for all the monstrs.
The vault though, has the same monster stats, but on cards. And all the monster actions on cards. What's handy with this, is that with a bit of planning, you can pull out all the monsters and actions you need before the session instead of having to leaf back and forth in a big hardcover book.

The cards also have big picture of each monsters on the back, so you can easily show you players what the monster looks like, without showing their stats.

Edited by Ralzar

The players guide has all of the information from the adv toolkit and all spells from signs of faith and winds of magic. It's my favorite product of the bunch (right before Lure of Power).

If you need some extra scenarios, the old fan-ones are still available here.

I would agree with Ralzar, except I would place Lure of Power and Omens of War over the other sets. Winds of Magic and Signs of Faith are both great, but they are servicing at most 1 player each, IF you even have a wizard or priest in the party. Lure of Power has something for everyone and will be the most useful overall, followed by Omens of War.

Wow, really? That's like.. the exact opposite of my ranking :D Like I said in my first post, what expansion to get depends on your group and you campaign.

I generally don't allow people to play non-humans, wizards or priests in my games, as I like my Warhammer mundane and a bit down in the gutter.

So for me, the two things that were the most sorely missing from the core set where diseases and mutations. Since these are often the most threatening aspects of WFRP that are generally not an issue in most other rpgs. After that, it was permanent injuries. I love knowing that if the player is a bit unlucky, he might loose a limb permanently.

Thinking about it, I love to NOT kill my players characters, but cripple them hilariously instead :D

That's what I love about WFRP. It's not the threat of a violent death you should fear; it's surviving to see yourself go mad, become a cripple, an outcast mutant or die a slow agonizing death from a horrible disease.

Edited by Ralzar

Does anyone know why the Adventurer's Toolkit is unavailable on the site store? There are some up on Amazon, but they are like $50. Is this already out of print and considered a collector's item?

The Adventurer's Toolkit is beeing reprinted according to the "upcoming" page. So ther reason it unavailable is probably because it's sold out at the moment.

I've found value in every piece of the line with the one exception being the Players Vault.

Gathering Storm has a great layout and is a fun 4 part + plus epilogue based on an adventure to collect an artefact, each time against a different family of foes, then go back to the village to investigate deeper on the NPCs' secrets.

As often, you may empower all the story by adding personal elements from the PCs and things about your previous adventures.

You may consider Valvorik enhancement about it, especially the bad guy twist he introduced which is excellent. I think I wrote a bit about my moves too there... I can't find the post, though... sorry