Cogs Within Cogs

By Nuada_Obliage, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

So I have a player who selected an Acuitor Assassin. He has used Cogs within Cogs several times but I am very uncertain about its use. He claims that any device that he can link with ( so anything electronic). This even includes having the ability to essentially radio control it even when it strickly does not have a remote link. ( I have been very strict so far on this ) I just want the communities opinion on the whole thing

Well, if he can describe exactly how he connects to the mashinery AND fully describe the algorithm which he introduces - why not? As an IT professional , I am very happy when my players try to describe such programs :-)

Obviously, if something specifically does not have any kind of remote link, he can't use it in such a fashion. While the RAW supports his interpretation, it's dumb and makes no sense. Narrative > Rules, and as the GM, you are the interpreter of the rules and the arbitrator when they conflict with the game or the game world.

However, it's arguable that as an Acuitor Mech-Assassin, he could attach said remote control if necessary.

It's hard to come with suggestions for how to interpret this rule unless you point at a specific problem. Is there a problem in how he uses it, or does your interpretations clash? If so, how?

Note that he can't actually "interface" by remote control. Cogs Within Cogs allows him to pre-program machinery and execute a protocol by remote. That's it. He has to physically plug into the electronics, program it, and then at a chosen time or at will (while within the limited distance) activate said protocol.

While I'm not sure why this would be limited specifically to Acuitor Mech-Assassins, I think it's a really useful and flavourful ability. Maybe my judgement is suffering because I haven't seen Cogs Within Cogs in-play, but I'm not sure why it would cause any issues.

While I'm not sure why this would be limited specifically to Acuitor Mech-Assassins, (...)

No idea either. That should be an expanded usage of the Tech-Use skill, with perhaps an Acuitor-specific Talent that reduces the time needed to perform such a procedure (because if you're a specialized assassin who works by sabotaging machines that way, it'd make sense to have a huge pile of ready-made programs, subroutines and hardware switches to make such adjustments as fast as possible, the way thieves and infiltrators generally carry an extensive collection of lockpicks, master-keys and such).

There's a bunch of things like that here and there throughout all of Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, though. It's mostly minor oddities. There is one thing that really sticks out to me from The Lathe Worlds, however. Crimson Guard being allowed to substitute Intelligence for all Fellowship-based checks when interacting with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Why does the Crimson Guard, a soldier, get an interaction-based bonus and characteristics consolidation when interacting with his main faction? And why doesn't all tech-priest-based careers and adeptus mechanicus characters get this by default?

A tech-priest, part of the goddamned clergy, gets to scrape by doing sermons with his abysmal Fellowship even when interacting with the faithful, as the Crimson Guard uses iron logic to lead the fanatics of the Omnissiah into battle?

I don't even know what to say.

Another good example in this same vein is in Rogue Trader. Take a look at the Arch-Heretek in Hostile Acquisitions and balk at how strangely useless it is to Explorators, except that it contains a few flavourful advances that you should logically be able to acquire one way or another anyway.

And to return to the topic at hand, speaking of Acuitor Mech-Assassins, I recommend the OP to actually check the Arch-Heretek in Rogue Trader: Hostile Acquisitions out, because some of the abilities would definitely fit the concept of a Mech-Assassin.

And to return to the topic at hand, speaking of Acuitor Mech-Assassins, I recommend the OP to actually check the Arch-Heretek in Rogue Trader: Hostile Acquisitions out, because some of the abilities would definitely fit the concept of a Mech-Assassin.

Although I fully agree that the book and rank is worth to look , f or me most Arch-Heretek talents are more suited to Agent of Lords Dragon. These talents are too close to techno - heresy to be allowed to use by anyone but the most trusted persons .

Mech-Assassin can use talents from Manhunter rank.

And why doesn't all tech-priest-based careers and adeptus mechanicus characters get this by default?

Probably because the naff fellowship is a specific restriction of the tech-priest. That said, if you're going to introduce such a talent, I agree it should be more widely available. Int=Fel for dealing with the higher echelons of the Mechanicus just makes sense.

In Ascension , there's kind of an equivalent - the Magos uses his Int not Fel to meet prerequisites for Peer/Good Reputation type talents.

And why doesn't all tech-priest-based careers and adeptus mechanicus characters get this by default?

Probably because the naff fellowship is a specific restriction of the tech-priest. That said, if you're going to introduce such a talent, I agree it should be more widely available. Int=Fel for dealing with the higher echelons of the Mechanicus just makes sense.

In Ascension , there's kind of an equivalent - the Magos uses his Int not Fel to meet prerequisites for Peer/Good Reputation type talents.

The functional difference is that a Crimson Guard, an elite skitarii soldier, is capable of holding an acceptable sermon to the Cult Mechanicus. The actual Tech-Priest isn't.

And I think that it's absurd that someone in the office thought of this issue, the issue that the Mechanicus faithful are about as sociable as a brick even amongst their own, and fixed it for a single career, a single concept, but just ignored the issue for all the others.

At the same time, I think a general rule (or usage of the "alternate skill characteristics" rules from BC/OW rules) saying that Intelligence=Fellowship for AdMech, feels a bit off. It only really makes sense for anyone either part of the Adeptus Mechanicus (Tech-Priest, Crimson Guard, Factor of the Lathes, Mech-Assassin, etc, etc, etc) or intimately familiar with it (Peer (AdMech), for example).

For the rest, not so much, since they'd have no idea how to carry themselves around the AdMech.

Although I fully agree that the book and rank is worth to look, for me most Arch-Heretek talents are more suited to Agent of Lords Dragon. These talents are too close to techno-heresy to be allowed to use by anyone but the most trusted persons.

Mech-Assassin can use talents from Manhunter rank.

But yes, you may be right. The way they are fluffed and the background idea of the usage of the abilities might make it inappropriate for the more upstanding members of the Adeptus Mechanicus, and certainly for the majority of all the faithful of Cult Mechanicus.

Manhunter is great for inspiration, for sure. I'm honestly a bit afraid of the idea of a Mech-Assassin with an MIU Weapon's Interface with an Integrated Shock-Whip, utilized by anyone with Take Them Alive.

I'm honestly a bit afraid of the idea of a Mech-Assassin with an MIU Weapon's Interface with an Integrated Shock-Whip, utilized by anyone with Take Them Alive.

Hell, I forgot about such use of TTA! Looks like I need quickly fix some of the NPCs... Poor, poor players ... :D