Firing vehicle's weapons

By Yepesnopes, in Game Mechanics

Hello all,

I post this question in the AoR forums with the hope of get a clarification by the designers.

Back in the beta days of EotE it was stated that vehicle crew (not passengers) could fire the weapons of a vehicle. Later, with the release of the core book, this passage was removed.

So, my question is who can fire the weapons of a vehicle? The crew, or anyone in the ship?

For example, the firespray has a crew of 1 pilot and 2 guards and a passenger capacity of 4. This starship has 2 weapons system, one autoblaster and one tractor beam. I assume the pilot has access from the cabin to any of the weapons systems and therefore he can fire any of the weapons as long as he has an action. But what about the guards? do they also have access to the weapons system? Can for example the pilot do a pilot action and the two guards, each, fire a different weapon system?

What if later the ship is upgraded with an extra weapon? say concussion missiles? Who has access to this new weapon system? everybody? only the pilot? And imagine that later on, yet a fourth weapon system is added, a medium laser cannon. Can the 4 weapons be fired in one round? Let's say 1 weapon system by the pilot, two weapon systems by the 2 guards and the fourth one by one of the passengers?

Cheers,

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes

Hello all,

I post this question in the AoR forums with the hope of get a clarification by the designers.

Back in the beta days of EotE it was stated that vehicle crew (not passengers) could fire the weapons of a vehicle. Later, with the release of the core book, this passage was removed.

So, my question is who can fire the weapons of a vehicle? The crew, or anyone in the ship?

For example, the firespray has a crew of 1 pilot and 2 guards and a passenger capacity of 4. This starship has 2 weapons system, one autoblaster and one tractor beam. I assume the pilot has access from the cabin to any of the weapons systems and therefore he can fire any of the weapons as long as he has an action. But what about the guards? do they also have access to the weapons system? Can for example the pilot do a pilot action and the two guards, each, fire a different weapon system?

What if later the ship is upgraded with an extra weapon? say concussion missiles? Who has access to this new weapon system? everybody? only the pilot? And imagine that later on, yet a fourth weapon system is added, a medium laser cannon. Can the 4 weapons be fired in one round? Let's say 1 weapon system by the pilot, two weapon systems by the 2 guards and the fourth one by one of the passengers?

Cheers,

Yepes

Let's look at the Millennium Falcon. It has a place for Pilot, and Co-Pilot. Then it also has 2 turrets. In A New Hope, all 4 of those seats were filled when they escaped the Death Star. The YT-1300 doesn't have a crew of 4 right? It should only have a crew of 2. So while that passage might have been removed I do not think that means "Thou shalt not have more gunnery personnel than crew"

A passenger becomes a gunner the moment they sit down at a gunnery station.

It's not like there's a magical coding flag that sets a person as 'passenger' and prohibits them from doing anything but sitting there.

A passenger becomes a gunner the moment they sit down at a gunnery station.

It's not like there's a magical coding flag that sets a person as 'passenger' and prohibits them from doing anything but sitting there.

But this is precisely my question! Apart from being able to be controlled by the pilot. Does every weapon has its own independent gunnery station? Each new weapon attached to the vehicle by means of hard points comes with an independent gunnery station?

The way I have been running it is that only the pilot, copilot, and "gunner" crew can fire a ship's weapons. The exception are turrets, which I assume have their own stations, a la The Millennium Falcon. However, I recognize this is a fairly arbitrary distinction.

The way I have been running it is that only the pilot, copilot, and "gunner" crew can fire a ship's weapons. The exception are turrets, which I assume have their own stations, a la The Millennium Falcon. However, I recognize this is a fairly arbitrary distinction.

The confusion is that even EU has these turrets as being able to be fired without someone manning them. It makes my head spin.

This is something that occurred to me, but then, another question comes. When you add a weapon through attachments, for the same cost always add a turret.

The confusion is that even EU has these turrets as being able to be fired without someone manning them. It makes my head spin.

The film footage shows both 1 and 2 men in 2-man fighters (Y-Wings) with turrets - but all the turrets seem to be locked fixed forward.

The Falcon's turrets look to be just barely able to hit dead forward. (Or dead aft, or due port/starboard.)

The real world helicopter gunship turrets can be slaved to either position's controls, or even locked into fixed forward. The Y-Wing is a nice analogue to the AH1....

My assumption for turrets is that each can be either manned by someone, in which case they get 360 degree fire, or fired by the pilot or co-pilot, in which case they are locked forward. Again, this is just something I made up but that seems to fit the movies and lore :) .

As for the question of why someone adding weapons wouldn't just ALWAYS add a turret, I do the following in my games:

-No missile turrets. Maybe there are some examples of specific ships with these, but they seem a little too silly.

-Silhoutte 4 ships and below can only have two turrets, one at the top of the vessel and one at the bottom, as my assumption is that they don't have room for more turrets!