Xenos Campaign

By SgtOddity, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello,

I am just putting the finishing touches on a Xenos campaign set on an abandoned imperial battle ship.

The ship will be infested with hibernating Tyranid. Does anyone know which rule book (if any) has the stats for Tyranid troops? The Tyranid troops that will be in this first part are:

Tyranid Hormagaunts ( http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440179a&prodId=prod380004a&rootCatGameStyle= )

and

Tyranid Ripper Swarms( http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440179a&prodId=prod1460225a&rootCatGameStyle= )

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Sgt Oddity

The main sources for Tyranid stats in WH40KRP are the Deathwatch Core Rulebook (in the Adversaries section) and the DW supplement Mark of the Xenos .

Thats perfect thanks.

It's not strictly what you are looking for but Genestealers are in Creatures Anathema.

It's not strictly what you are looking for but Genestealers are in Creatures Anathema.

Also found in DW Mark of Xenos.

But I would recommend not using Genestealers until your Acolytes have serious fire power.

Been there, Blood bath.

They two versions of 'Stealers are probably seriously different.

Yeah, other kills you quicker.

There are 7 Genestealer variants and 2 Broodlord variants, in published WH40K RPG. And everyone has been butcher machine up close-and-personal, Broodlords especially. Even Alien-movies Xenomorphs pale in comparison to people slaughtered by Genestealer in my games.

My players hate/fear them more than they hate/fear Chaos Space Marines.

In one of my RT games they had something lurking them through their own ship. It was only a Hullghast but they were sure it was Genestealer. The fear, the panic, Glorious.

Even Alien-movies Xenomorphs pale in comparison to people slaughtered by Genestealer in my games.

As it should be. Corporaptor Primus is the 41st millenium's absolute apex predator (barring things like daemons and other enemies for whom the laws of physics are optional extras).

I can agree that the level of fear is maintained even into Deathwatch . Stealer Broodlord appears. Player (somewhat drunk on the bad-ass nature of space marines having just gone through an entire horde of hybrids in one turn) says "I got this" and charges. Broodlord sidesteps attack. Broodlord pulls his arm off and proceeds to club him unconcious with it in one round of combat. Rest of kill team wisely cheeses it.

OK, if they have let Broodlord to get inside Marine's Charge range, they're going to have bad time.

Most of the time in my games it's more like.

"I think I saw something in the Auspex"

"How far?"

"100 metres"

"Ok we have two rounds to shoot it"

"Emperor's blood, it's fast!"

Blood bath ensues

Those things are quick, stealthy and own Big pointy claws. :ph34r:

The way I got around the Tyranid being to strong is I halved all of their Characteristics. My reasoning was that the space ship they were found on has been floating through space abandoned for hundreds of years and the Xenos in order to survive had hibernated in sort of cocoons.

When the PCs happen across this Space ship and explore it the Xenos emerge but because of their years in hibernation they are in a weakened state ... if however the PCs cant escape soon enough the Xenos will regain their full strength and there will be no option to fight, only to die...

Not that I don`t love the idea of space hulk without power armour but why not leave the "big names" out?

I find my players are far more interested when their characters run up against somethng they haven`t painted the model of.

Minor xenos of your own ceation, undivided chaos deamons, creatures from the depths of the old necromunda bestiary. As a rule I try not to put anything with a codex entry in my campaigns if I can help it.

It`s far better to create something original that does what you want it to than try to shoehorn existing things into your narrrative.

Not that I don`t love the idea of space hulk without power armour but why not leave the "big names" out?

I find my players are far more interested when their characters run up against somethng they haven`t painted the model of.

Minor xenos of your own ceation, undivided chaos deamons, creatures from the depths of the old necromunda bestiary. As a rule I try not to put anything with a codex entry in my campaigns if I can help it.

It`s far better to create something original that does what you want it to than try to shoehorn existing things into your narrrative.

Its also a brilliant way to promote the big threats like tyranids (or necrons)... having them fight some ghoulish horror, with an army and then falling back, and when they return with reinforcements, the place is empty, wiped clean of life, leaving them to wonder how to deal with the big thing that just wiped out their bigget enemy :)

Edited by Ansalagon

Its also a brilliant way to promote the big threats like tyranids (or necrons)... having them fight some ghoulish horror, with an army and then falling back, and when they return with reinforcements, the place is empty, wiped clean of life, leaving them to wonder how to deal with the big thing that just wiped out their bigget enemy :)

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, not that it really matters.

This post is quite difficult to understand though, there is a lot of vague allusions to "they" and "them" without specific "who."

I'm just saying it's more interestign to have players just as in the dark as their characters should be. After all 40k players know more about the universe than anyone in it ever could.

Edited by Askil