Quick time events

By Shinda, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I got back from a Star Wars RP where the GM introduced quick time event. Stars Wars uses a d20 system (which I'm sure you know). It uses the stats Will, Fortitude and Reflex to determine the actions they perform. This made the combat more fluid and more fun. So my question is would it be possible to incorporate quick time events into Rogue Trader and how it could be done?

Any help and/or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

What are quick time events? (for those of us not familiar with Star Wars RPG)

What are quick time events? (for those of us not familiar with Star Wars RPG)

This.

When someone says "quick-time events" to me, my mind immediately goes to the worst sides of modern console gaming. Which likely isn't what you're getting at.

This.

When someone says "quick-time events" to me, my mind immediately goes to the worst sides of modern console gaming. Which likely isn't what you're getting at.

So bullet-time or the pause and "watch the sun go up and down 1-99,999,999 hour" wait?

This.

So bullet-time or the pause and "watch the sun go up and down 1-99,999,999 hour" wait?

More like "press these buttons before the timer runs out to do critical damage oh no you failed the boss is regenerating now you have to get him down to 3% again and oh look quick-time even press the buttons in order oh no you missed a button game over" .

Cue reload to latest checkpoint or level, because consoles can't manage saves or areas larger than a thimble.

It's one of the worst aspects of console-infused modern gaming.

Edited by Fgdsfg

This.

More like "press these buttons before the timer runs out to do critical damage oh no you failed the boss is regenerating now you have to get him down to 3% again and oh look quick-time even press the buttons in order oh no you missed a button game over" .

Cue reload to latest checkpoint or level, because consoles can't manage saves or areas larger than a thimble.

Yes that is the case with console games because well, its a game console. But when used in rp it makes the combat less turned based. It will be a set number of actions in the combat and instead of "its your turn do something." then "the boss does something". It is the ones involved in the combat reacting to each other.

This.

Yes that is the case with console games because well, its a game console. But when used in rp it makes the combat less turned based. It will be a set number of actions in the combat and instead of "its your turn do something." then "the boss does something". It is the ones involved in the combat reacting to each other.

I just have no idea how you'd work that into an RP. You'll have to explain the process to us, because I haven't got a clue how Star Wars d20 works. I've only played the CRPG adaptions of the 3.5-based Star Wars PnP, which was delightfully free of quicktime events.

How'd that even translate to PnP?

....... lost in the sauce here. No idea how to help ya. Sorry.

My players came up against a splinter of http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hive_Fleet_Nidhoggr a while back; a magma corer was disrupting their mining operations. Due to the creature's massive armour, they had to damage it from the inside, which meant getting it to try and swallow someone whole, then that someone would shoot up a vulnerable organ inside, then the person would get vomited out and they'd repeat the cycle.

My players had a lot of fun with it.

Yeah, I've played oodles of SW Revised, Saga, and D&D; I am a bit at a loss on this reference to quick-time events. Humorously, and I don't agree, many people don't like d20 system, with the infinite health or Vitality/Wounds one crit away from death rules, and way too many characters being way to "this is all a wizard can do", compared to the relative options these games give, with paths, Elite Advances, and such. I mean, I love Star Wars, and I currently like Saga much more than EotE/AoR, mostly because I know the rules infinitely better, and they don't say "no Jedi!", but I don't think it would work as well here. Space Marines and Acolytes are miles away here, but in d20, they'd have an ECL gap a cruiser wouldn't span, and the bolters would need to explode for real to wither down the 80-100+ hp a high-end character would have.

For quick-time events, you could give your players, and maybe some NPCs, like those with Touched by the Fates, a pool of like-Fate Points; nothing so mighty, but able to "interrupt" what someone else is doing. How d20 SHOULD do it (and nobody does) is rolling initiative, and the lowest says what they do, up the list, so that the better rollers can act as if with some foreknowledge, setting a lance, stabbing the caster, or throwing your own counterspell. It takes so long, with everyone saying, and then saying again as the initiative goes back down, that they just say "what are you doing", and the player does. If the lower initiative roller says first, so the higher NPC or player can counter, you almost have what you want, or you could spend interrupt points, and change your action. Obviously needs some work, but there you might go.

For quick-time events, you could give your players, and maybe some NPCs, like those with Touched by the Fates, a pool of like-Fate Points; nothing so mighty, but able to "interrupt" what someone else is doing. How d20 SHOULD do it (and nobody does) is rolling initiative, and the lowest says what they do, up the list, so that the better rollers can act as if with some foreknowledge, setting a lance, stabbing the caster, or throwing your own counterspell. It takes so long, with everyone saying, and then saying again as the initiative goes back down, that they just say "what are you doing", and the player does. If the lower initiative roller says first, so the higher NPC or player can counter, you almost have what you want, or you could spend interrupt points, and change your action. Obviously needs some work, but there you might go.

The good old World of Darkness way of doing initiative. It was a good idea, but playability suffered from it, combat took for-freakin-ever.

Yep. D&D would've benefited from it, with whole avenues of combat and planning being **** near impossible the normal way, but dragons grew old waiting to make it work.

Sort of why I hate the Negate Power in Mutants & Masterminds. Making it Reaction-speed costs more than is reasonable (fair though), and having to hold your action, assuming that the thing you can negate will happen is more than haphazard, smacking of you just standing around, staring. You also then get punched in the face. I'd much rather get to see them start doing something, and then, being faster (Initiative says so), elect to either dodge, negate, or whatever. It's still my total action, but at least my Sorcerer won't get punched in the face waiting for a spell that didn't come, unless you count the dizzy spell his fragile head is now suffering. Not often worth spending the Hero Point.

Edited by venkelos