Price of starfighters

By DucatiDon, in General Discussion

I could do you a decomissioned whiskey class sub for $497,000

http://www.projectboats.com/whiskeysub.html

There is a discount available if you want to buy more than one!

Sweet! Am looking to build up the Texas navy in the event we secede from the Union.

Indeed the star fighters have a price, but I was wondering, where do you buy one? I mean, these are military ships, you don't go to a shop and buy one right? or do you?

Indeed the star fighters have a price, but I was wondering, where do you buy one? I mean, these are military ships, you don't go to a shop and buy one right? or do you?

In the case of certain fighters such as the CloakShape, you kind of do. :P Especially considering the sheer proliferation of starships to the point where individual "independent operators" can and sometimes have even better, albeit usually only after aftermarket modification.

Oddly, only the Imperial-used designs seem to be Restricted. I'm not fond of the idea that the iconic starfighters of the Rebellion - as well as Dreadnought-class cruisers and MC80 Star Cruisers (!) - are perfectly legal.

One thing to consider is that the setting of Star Wars is not like modern day times in terms of laws and such, but more like the Wild West - anyone can buy and in most cases, carry a gun (or snub fighter in this instance). All it takes is the necessary money. Now, in certain circles using such a thing (or openly displaying it) is frowned upon. Also keep in mind that, even merchant vessels, such as personal transports sport weapons. Whether to dissuade pirates or to shoot wayward asteroids it doesn't matter. The legality is that most items are available. Finally, with galaxy spanning civilization, including species both known and unknown, it is effectively impossible to say 'NO' to certain things.

Even the Empire will say: "fine... you can have it, just don't use it on us or we'll take it away (or blow up your planet)"

if you go looking at the EU, you can find precedent for legal restrictions on the armaments/protection on "civilian-legal" starships, but of course those only being as good as actually enforced... hell, if you're willing to give any weight to post-Endor EU material as "possible indicator of GCW-period precedent" despite it involving the New Republic, go look at the story of the Errant Venture .

Mind you, things may differ ( read : more likelihood of actual effective control) the more Coreward you go, but I distinctly recall Edge of the Rebellion book being Rimward-oriented, while Age of the Rebellion I understand can be anywhere in the galaxy... ;)

Hell, if you want to look at real-life precedent, you've got a Florida contractor that " operates the largest fleet of privately owned tactical aircraft in the world " : A-4 Skyhawks equipped with the same radar as early F-16s, MiG-21 Fishbeds with later model radars, and jet trainers that can double up on light attack/close air support... to say nothing of organizations like the former Blackwater, as far as " non-government ownership of tactical aerospace vehicles with capability for mounting weapons " goes... and that's even before getting into planetary defense forces.

Edited by Chortles