Twin-Linked Weapons and FullAuto

By ExGemini, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hi!

I would like to ask a quick question about the Twin-Linked weapons when firing at Full Out or Semi Auto.

I've read both the rules from the DeathWatch manual and the Black Crusade one and it's widely suggest to use the Black Crusade ones.

The user can decide either to have a +10 on BS skill test or score an additional hit if the dice roll produce a degree of success.

Plus the usuall double expense of ammo since the weapon is combined.

But what about the full auto burst?

I've a space marine devastator that has 70 BS in my game.

Let's assume he scores a nice 30 on the dice. It's a solid 4 degree of success, and so it should produce 4 more shots from the heavy weapon.

Now let's assume he is using a twin-linked weapon (I wrote some house rules for the Centurion exoskeleton).

How do I do the calculation?

BS 70, he score a 30, 4 degree ... Which translated in the basic hit plus 4 more shots for the dregrees of success. Does that number double due the fact the weapon is linked?

Thanks in advance!

Twin Linking weapons may only gain ONE (1) additional hit from the Twin Linked trait. If the weapon gains two degrees of success the attack generates 1 additional hit in addition to other effects which increase the number of hits.

In your example (lets assume he's firing a TL heavy bolter). The character gains 4 degrees of success. That comes out to 1 hit from success +4 hits from RoF +1 hit from Twin Link. Total: 6 hits (not 9).

Twin Linking weapons may only gain ONE (1) additional hit from the Twin Linked trait. If the weapon gains two degrees of success the attack generates 1 additional hit in addition to other effects which increase the number of hits.

In your example (lets assume he's firing a TL heavy bolter). The character gains 4 degrees of success. That comes out to 1 hit from success +4 hits from RoF +1 hit from Twin Link. Total: 6 hits (not 9).

I understand.

But with this kind of rules the twin-linked system doesn't seems to be so usefull. You might only get a single hit more and fire double the ammo

I understand.

But with this kind of rules the twin-linked system doesn't seems to be so usefull. You might only get a single hit more and fire double the ammo

Note that in Only War, Twin-Linked was restored to it's previous form, which is much more useful under the new autofire rules. I'd recommend you stick to that - BC Twin-Linked was something of a brainfart.

That said, Twin-Linked is deliberately kinda "meh" compared to Storm, as it is mostly just an inferior version of the latter. Not unlike Shocking and Concussive.

I understand.

Note that in Only War, Twin-Linked was restored to it's previous form, which is much more useful under the new autofire rules. I'd recommend you stick to that - BC Twin-Linked was something of a brainfart.

That said, Twin-Linked is deliberately kinda "meh" compared to Storm, as it is mostly just an inferior version of the latter. Not unlike Shocking and Concussive.

So you suggest to use the original DeathWatch/Only War rule for the twin-linked: +20BS and one more hit if you score 2 degrees of success.

I understand.

RoF +1 hit from Twin Link. Total: 6 hits (not 9).

Don't underestimate a +20 to hit. Thats potentially 2 extra hits with a RoF weapon, or a succesful hit vs. a miss.

Twin Link is much more attractive with 1-shot weapons like lascannons. Without twin linked, a really lucky shot is only as good as a shot that barely hit. But with Twin Linked, that 3+ degree of success becomes 2 hits from a lascannon.

I understand.

RoF +1 hit from Twin Link. Total: 6 hits (not 9).

Don't underestimate a +20 to hit. Thats potentially 2 extra hits with a RoF weapon, or a succesful hit vs. a miss.

Twin Link is much more attractive with 1-shot weapons like lascannons. Without twin linked, a really lucky shot is only as good as a shot that barely hit. But with Twin Linked, that 3+ degree of success becomes 2 hits from a lascannon.

Indeed a lascannon has alot more punch than an heavy bolter and 2 hits from that beast is a total knockdown pretty much for anything I can think of, especially troops.

Twin-Linked - in either version - isn't much use for a BS-70 devastator firing on automatic into a horde (or whatever). Because, if you think about it narratively, it will mostly just result in the dead guys being extra dead as they get hit by two bolt rounds each.

It's designed for two situations:

either a low ROF, high-power weapon, where hammering something is important - if something's worth shooting with a lascannon it's usually worth shooting twice

(e.g. twin-linked lascannon on a carnifex)

or with a full auto weapon at a small, distant or evasive target to fill the air with lead and increase the chances of landing a hit at all.

(Take for example your BS70 devastator firing a heavy bolter at a Gargoyle, at 500m range, whilst it was moving at full speed, during a storm, whilst fatigued. At this point you'll take any positive modifier you can get!)

Twin-Linked - in either version - isn't much use for a BS-70 devastator firing on automatic into a horde (or whatever). Because, if you think about it narratively, it will mostly just result in the dead guys being extra dead as they get hit by two bolt rounds each.

It's designed for two situations:

either a low ROF, high-power weapon, where hammering something is important - if something's worth shooting with a lascannon it's usually worth shooting twice

(e.g. twin-linked lascannon on a carnifex)

or with a full auto weapon at a small, distant or evasive target to fill the air with lead and increase the chances of landing a hit at all.

(Take for example your BS70 devastator firing a heavy bolter at a Gargoyle, at 500m range, whilst it was moving at full speed, during a storm, whilst fatigued. At this point you'll take any positive modifier you can get!)

Yeah ... I guess it makes perfect sense actually :)