Charging to participate...

By ElZilcho, in The Plugged-in Tour

There's a venue in Toronto that is charging a fee to participate. Are any other venues doing this?

Well it is a tournament, is it not?

Absolutely. Perhaps I should be surprised that other venues aren't charging for entry. I certainly don't begrudge a business wanting some return on the use of their space. I guess I'm more curious about how this type of thing is handled on FFG's side, as they are the primary organizers and prize handlers. Theoretically, could a venue charge whatever they like for hosting a tournament on the plugged-in tour, although it is a touring promotional event in FFG's name?

I dunno, $5-$15 is pretty typical for a tournament entry. I've never participated in a free tournament except for the local league stuff.

In my neck of the woods, the tournament is usually cost-neutral. They charge everyone $10 to cover the cost of prize support. It looks like FFG is footing the bill, so the tournaments in my area are free - maybe Toronto is pitching in for extra prizes or has other hidden costs. I'd straight up ask them why.

Both the events in Illinois this weekend are going to be free to the best of my knowledge.

I believe FFG told the Seattle shops that just hosted, that the tournament was supposed to be free.

I can't see them making it a rule for a tournament to be free. I think they give the venues the option, being that it is most likely free for them (the venues)

but, if the FLGS wants to charge for its events to offset other costs like giving up the space in their store for running these events, then that's their prerogative.

Edited by stormwolf27

I don't know if I agree with that. I see your point about offsetting costs but it's not like they are forced to do this. If the store doesn't think it's in their best financial interest to do this then they should just say no. But I'm sure that most stores that were offered this jumped at the chance. It's free publicity, gets lots of people to your store that would normally not be there and the place where I played offered a 20% discount on any FFG product and I saw at least 3 or 4 people taking advantage of it. And charging, for what FFG is running as a free event, just seems kinda miserly. Especially since FFG is the one doing all the heavy lifting (organizing, running, and promoting the events).

Edited by frybender

I know Snakes and Lattes charged a fee, but they have a regular cover charge anyways. They also charge for food and don't let you bring anything in (except apparently bday cake, with a $2 per person plating fee).

I don't know if I agree with that. I see your point about offsetting costs but it's not like they are forced to do this. If the store doesn't think it's in their best financial interest to do this then they should just say no. But I'm sure that most stores that were offered this jumped at the chance. It's free publicity, gets lots of people to your store that would normally not be there and the place where I played offered a 20% discount on any FFG product and I saw at least 3 or 4 people taking advantage of it. And charging, for what FFG is running as a free event, just seems kinda miserly. Especially since FFG is the one doing all the heavy lifting (organizing, running, and promoting the events).

yes, if they don't normally charge for events, even the ones that normally have prize support, then charging for this event could be seen as shady.

However, some of these places, like The Covenant Store in Tulsa, OK, jumped at the chance to host one of these events, like you said... but they charge for just about every tournament. Also, they only raise the entry fee for things like regionals and other events where there's an exceptionally high value of prize support.

That being said, they are charging their normal fee for the event, even though it's looking like there, quite literally, will not be an empty seat in the entire store (their physical store isn't that large) based on current numbers for interest in the event, and not being "miserly" at all.