Sleight of Mind Talent

By lordfireyes, in General Discussion

Ok, so I think this talent needs a little tweaking. Sleight of mind gives you a boost dice to one skill, with restrictions.

It seems a bit underpowered, given that there already is a talent called Stalker which gives a boost dice to two separate skills (including the one in Sleight of Mind, and with no restrictions). Also, compare this to the similar Sense Emotions Talent from the FSEx. The Sense Emotions talent adds a Boost to three separate skills (with the same restriction).

Maybe as a tweak, you could upgrade your stealth checks instead of having a boost dice. But then you run into the issue of whether it should be ranked, which would make it uber powerful.

Alternatively, one could add a additional skills that would be improved by sleight of mind, such as Deception and/or Streetwise (as these might fit the flavor of the talent). This seems like the best option to me, and keeps it from being OP. It also jives with the mechanical spirit of the Sense Emotions Talent.

What are other people's thoughts on this talent?

I agree, it does seem a bit underwhelming, particularly in comparison to Stalker, as that talent not only affects two skills but doesn't have a caveat that could negate the boost die.

Given it's available so early in the tree (Row 1), I'm thinking just adding a second skill to the talent will work to balance it out a bit more. I really like the idea of Deception ("I'm not the Force-user you're looking for, really I'm not.") but I could also see a case being made for Skulduggery.

With Sense Emotions, it's only available once, and it's not easy to get to, so that one impacting three skills is fine since it has a higher price tag attached to it.

No argument from me. I give this recommendation my full support.